PDA

View Full Version : Positioning Mounting Plate for Minn Kota Electric Motor

Splash
21-03-2012, 06:15 AM
I will be placing this leccy on Port Side of my 4.1m Polycraft.

How do I determine the exact mounting position on the deck and angle of placement for this mounting plate?

Splash

chris69
21-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi there splash just put the leccy in the bracket and line it up to were you want it on the deck and put some marks on the out side of the bracket then release it and lock it in so you can then move the bracket and leccy shaft just to the edge of the boat line up the marks again and the mark your bolt holes, take the leccy of and bolt the bracket on ,i hope this helps cheers chris.

fisho_83
21-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I just installed one on my boat on the weekend. Can I suggest you purchase a quick release bracket. Inside the cover of the box it has a template with all the required points for screws and positioning of the actual bow mount. I just double checked everything by deploying the unit to make sure it was clear of any obstructions. Even for someone us "un-handy" as myself it was really quite simple. The quick release bracket makes it so simple to quickly pop the motor on and off, which is really handy for storage/security. Best of luck!

Splash
21-03-2012, 08:29 PM
THanks guys.

I have the quick release bracket, but it is the mounting plate underneath this plate that I need to polyweld onto my bow.

I will be mounting the quick release bracket onto this bottom mounting plate.

I want to knwo how to position this mounting plate so that it can be polywelded into place.

Splash

chris69
21-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Are now i understand Splash,well how about lineing up the quick release bracket on the top deck and get a very small drill 1.2mm and drill through from the top in 4 spots so you know were to put the plate that goes underneith to poly weld, then you can get a soldering iron and melt the ploy and close your holes up,thats about alls i can suggest unless someone has a better way,have you rang ploy craft and asked for some suggestions.

Splash
21-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Chris - Interesting and great thoughts.

Is there a special way the leccy needs to sit in the water for proper steering - which is affected from mount position on the bow?

SPlash

chris69
21-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Splash the closer you can aline the leccy to the closet point to the bow the better if its to far away from the center of the bow you will find it will turn one way easyer than the other when you are fighting current and wind.

Splash
21-03-2012, 09:48 PM
thanks chris.