PDA

View Full Version : A few hours trolling

wags on the water
20-03-2012, 09:57 PM
An opportunity came up to fish outside on Saturday, my first trip offshore since October. Timbo came along and provided the entertainment for the first couple of hours. :-X:-X:-X then :sick2::sick2::sick2:...... When we arrived at the Seaway the conditions were average with about 1.5m swell and 10-15kn breeze and after a few hours the wind dropped out and the rain came in. We trolled a couple of divers and a chrome slug. The chromey accounted for 4 mactuna about a foot long - perfect trolling size. Timbo was helping the other boats in the area with the burley...;D;D;D. As time was getting on we started heading back to the seaway and back to see what the women were up to. We decided on one last troll along some contour line changes when the ratchet started screaming. There was excitement and confusion.....as I thought Tim was going to grab the rod as I was driving the boat, then :argue:, no you grab the rod. So I grabbed the rod and the other lines were being retreived all while the ratchet was still screaming. The next thought flashing through the mind was.....is this thing going to stop???? "Tim I think we need to start going backwards.." "Yep no worries" was the reply as he was still clearing lines. "Tim I think we need to start going back NOW!!!!!!!" - I could see the bottom of the spool..:o:o:o

We gained some line back with some fancy driving and I was suprised the Opti went just as well in reverse as it does in forward.... As we relaxed the line became sort of slack - "Tim, I think we need to start going FORWARD!!!!!" After some time we managed to get it near the boat but it was still deep. Then we saw stripes and a flash of silver and realised we had a great fish. Some more fancy driving and we had it topside and it only took one gaffshot and it was a struggle to lift it into the boat.

I was ecstatic as it was my first not to mention I was buggered - well I was buggered after 2 minutes ;D;D and even tried to hand the rod over after ten minutes - so glad I held on to it now.

We kept it on ice until it could be weighed and it pulled the scales down to 26 kilo. It definately will be a difficult PB to better.

Thanks Tim for being a part of a great day on the water and thanks to Tim's wife Amanda and mine Paula for a great weekend.

Cheers,
Wags

snapperbug
20-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Horse of a fish mate! Did you get it trolling the dead mack tuna, or something else?

Pete

Chas & Clarry
20-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Funny report, I actually did lol...GREAT fish...sore muscles tomorrow I bet :) (edit...oops sore muscles Sunday I bet :-[)

carnster
20-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Congrats wags - fun times.

wags on the water
20-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Horse of a fish mate! Did you get it trolling the dead mack tuna, or something else?

Pete

Halco diver - Timbos goto lure.

Bull
20-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the report and pics Wags.
Congratulations on your new PB and it sure will take some beating but I bet your keen to get out there and try.

Cheers Bull

Holy_Mackerel
20-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Fat fish - well done boys.

cuzzamundi
20-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Heck of a 'hoo, mate. What sort of trace were you rinning?

Cuzza

womp
21-03-2012, 12:05 AM
One heck of a fish. Bet there was one or two excited anglers on board that boat we the ratchet screamed.

Dave.

Midnight
21-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Stonka Wahoo mate! Well done! That will be hard to beat around here.
What line class did you catch him on? The Hoo do love a good line burning run, followed by a charge at the boat haha

Cheers,
Myles

jtpython
21-03-2012, 05:11 AM
That would have to be the unluckist fish in the sea . LOL Nice work and top notch looking fish
Yet to get one myself
JT

outta line
21-03-2012, 06:28 AM
mate thats a cracker...well done.....you could of skied behind that monster....the water was nice and blue out there on the weekend....

Tangles
21-03-2012, 06:44 AM
hell of a fish Wags, how did it go on the barbie?

Back In Black
21-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Wags,
What an absolute pearler!!!! Mine went 17.5kg a few weeks ago & I know how hard that went, so I hear you about the arms!
Tony

Giffo65
21-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Great Hoo Wags and only one gaff shot, a great read.

Muddy Toes
21-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Cracker of a fish mate......well done, they're the type of catches that make the next stint at work really drag it's ass!!There's just too much time to daydream at work sometimes.

ifishcq1
21-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Nice hoo Wags
good to see you getting some practice

cheers

tropicrows
21-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Good read Wags, gonna be some nice steaks on the BBQ. Also good of Timbo to help out with the burley.

nathank
21-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Wags... Did you guys come back in and get the boat out of the water at the ramp near the grand hotel?
I was just wondering because i was on the pontoon when a boat came in with two blokes on it and i asked if ya caught anything.. The guy (if it was you) was super happy with the effort of a big wahoo over 20kgs... I was getting my jetski outa the water.
Nath.

MEG-A-BITE
21-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Well, done thats a cracker Wahoo.

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Heck of a 'hoo, mate. What sort of trace were you rinning?

Cuzza

Cuzza, I think it was 65lb single strand wire.

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Stonka Wahoo mate! Well done! That will be hard to beat around here.
What line class did you catch him on? The Hoo do love a good line burning run, followed by a charge at the boat haha

Cheers,
Myles

Myles, nothing exciting about the line class as it was caught on one of my floatlining outfits. 7' M10 live fibre rod spooled with 50lb Shogun mono.

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 12:09 PM
hell of a fish Wags, how did it go on the barbie?

Mike it didn't taste too bad as we did cook some of him up while Timbo was still filleting.

Good read Wags, gonna be some nice steaks on the BBQ. Also good of Timbo to help out with the burley.

Bruce the grey carpet theory was blown out of the water on Saturday, but he did keep the noise to a minimum - not as loud as you.

Hey Wags... Did you guys come back in and get the boat out of the water at the ramp near the grand hotel?
I was just wondering because i was on the pontoon when a boat came in with two blokes on it and i asked if ya caught anything.. The guy (if it was you) was super happy with the effort of a big wahoo over 20kgs... I was getting my jetski outa the water.
Nath.

Nathan, it wasn't us so it looks like there's a few big ones about.

Cheers,
Wags

TimD
21-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Nice Hoo Wag's, bet your freezer is well stocked now :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)

Timfishin4fun
21-03-2012, 04:58 PM
The things I do to get a mate a fish, and to be ribbed like this it may well be your last.

Good luck solo mate.

Timbo

Timfishin4fun
21-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Nope guess again.

Timfishin4fun
21-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Mike it didn't taste too bad as we did cook some of him up while Timbo was still filleting.

Did not mention how you over cooked it did ya

thelump
21-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Great Wahoo boys congrats. Am yet to get one of those speedsters. Will take a bit of beating that one Wags!

Captain Seaweed
21-03-2012, 05:31 PM
great fish wags thats an awesome effort!!!! I started to think ...hook through the back and send him back down.....but I guess there are limits for that!!!!

honda900
21-03-2012, 05:34 PM
26kg is a great fish, will take a lot of beating for a wahoo that size.. Congrats..

Regards
Honda.

Blindfreddy
21-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Awesome fish Wags. Timbo sounds like a character.

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 06:09 PM

I've been corrected - 140lb wire

Tangles
21-03-2012, 09:10 PM
140 lbs that all?

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 10:52 PM
140 lbs that all?

Mike, 50 lb mono line to 130lb snap swivel 140lb wire trace to the goto lure. Yep mate that's all.

wags on the water
21-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Nice Hoo Wag's, bet your freezer is well stocked now :thumbsup:

For starters there's no apostrophy in WAGS. There were a few kilo of fillets in my freezer and a few in Tims' freezer. Even though the fish was landed with me holding the rod, it was a team effort to get it in the boat. At the end of the day whether it be a day trip or 4 day trip everything is shared equally. Others may do it differently and that's their choice, but my boat - my rules.

Moonlighter
22-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Way to go, WAGS and Tim! Really nice hoo you guys got there.

WAGS, I agree, we run the same boat rules as you- fillet and split the catch between the team on the day, so everyone gets a feed. Best way to do it IMO.

CHEERS

ML

Timfishin4fun
22-03-2012, 05:20 PM
He did not want to go halves in the chuck over the side, actually he wanted NO part of it.

Music went up and him singing along blah blah blah, I was on my own for sure.

So much for team work and partners in everthing on the boat.

But if we are going to share everything on the boat I might ask his new wife next time.

Oops this will get me in the deep stuff.

Timbo

wags on the water
22-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Hmmmm - you are right about one thing...........No sharing of the burley. Even Bruce had to prove he could hold his brekky/lunch before coming out on the boat, so you need to work on that Tim. Now about my wife?? Too much to discuss on here so it looks like we'll be dicussing this later....;)

Timfishin4fun
22-03-2012, 05:47 PM
The smiley face makes this look positive.

And mate I will be fine, what you call rough is what we call agreat day out on the shelf.

Timbo

TimD
22-03-2012, 08:47 PM
For starters there's no apostrophy in WAGS. There were a few kilo of fillets in my freezer and a few in Tims' freezer. Even though the fish was landed with me holding the rod, it was a team effort to get it in the boat. At the end of the day whether it be a day trip or 4 day trip everything is shared equally. Others may do it differently and that's their choice, but my boat - my rules.

Sorry Wag's i'll remember next time it's Wags not Wag's lol :thumbsup:

When are you dropping some fillets around mate, i'll trade you for some cobia ;D