PDA

View Full Version : Grady White seafarer 228

wrxhoon
20-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm looking at these boats as a replacement for my 2002 Trophy.

Has anyone got one? If yes tell me about it, how she performs and what engine have you got.

Vromme
21-03-2012, 06:23 AM
A good mate of mine has one, 2006 model I helped him import it a few years ago (last time aus $ was strongish). I was looking after it for a couple of years (poor me). They are a great all round trailerable fishing boat. His one had pretty much every option on it (they come with a hell of a lot standard anyway) and a 4s 250 yam.

IMHO comparing to similar type boats
Pros
- Fantastic quality all round, I think they are/were the Mercedes of boats over there Bostons the BMW (many would argue differently but used to be rule of thumb
- Feels really strong
- Great compromise in setup for fishing and family touring
- Stable under pick
- Doesnt show dirt as much (the off white takes a bit of getting used to but seems quite practicle)

Cons
- Harder riding than your serious deep V's (trade off obviously is stablity)
- Not Australian
- Walkaround a bit tight (but needs to be for cabin to work properly
- Dual skin thing can make aftermaket accessories a bit of a buggar to fit, also will indent if on a roller trailer (make sure is on skid if you have trailer here or a shit load of roller if you must.)
- Biggest GW you can trailer here without needing wide load BS (I guess thats why your looking at it)
- Cant easily fit twins on the Seafarer (if you like 2 motors)

I think the 2006 250 Yam is too heavy for it, they maybe lighter now. I see they are fitting 250's and 300's on the new ones (they used to fit 200's and 250's. Mates one goes over 40knt from memory, they arent really made as a speed machine though (bangs a bit hard in swell) but are a really heavy boat so need HP.

Prob worth checking thehulltruth Im sure there would be plenty of info about them there.

I hope this helps.

PM me if you want more info/phone number.

wrxhoon
21-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the reply, pm sent.