PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma

merseybluenose
20-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Wanting to take our first trip (maybe this weekend if weather permits) to Tangas and have a look at the wrecks, fish etc. Am wondering where to leave from (I'm in Redlands) to get there as quickly and as safely as possible (4.1 dory with a 40). Will be taking the family so need a place to go that is family friendly.....any suggestions, I'm thinking manly but have never launched there? Maybe a mundane question but for us there will be a lot of firsts that day so all the help is appreciated.

Kiwifisho
20-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Manly is a good ramp security wise but it is a good journey across A mate took his 4.1 polycraft from fishermans island on a day trip but got wet on the way home due to weather blowing up IMO would go from Manly as Fishermans Island can get overcrowded at times just make sure you have enough fuel for an extended slog on the way home if it blows up as the bay gets real nasty real quick hope this helps and you get some good weather and have a great time over there at tangas we love going there albeit in a bit bigger boat 5mtr

Lucky_Phill
20-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I would be keeping a very close eye on the weather if crossing the bay in a 4.1mtr tinnie.

Sat and Sun are expecting winds between 15 and 20knots and seas will be over 1mtr.

Make a call closer to Saturday... but for now.... :-?

LP

Todddo
20-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah really keep an eye on the weather. Its amazing how the bay can chop up in big winds.

netmaker
20-03-2012, 06:47 PM
mbn, my tinny is 4.3m brooker with 30hp and i have done a few trips to moreton in her (1 with old 20hp). travel alone but plenty of gear. i plan my departure point according to forecasted direction for my home journey. if northerlies forecast i leave from wello to ride them home and if southerlies i go from whyte island. in both cases i will use inside of moreton if i can to line myself up for the tail wind even if i travel miles up or down to do so.

cheers
davo

Lucky_Phill
20-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Saturday 3/24

Morning
http://www.buoyweather.com/new/images/yellowflag.gif Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: ESE 1.5 meters at 10 sec.
Winds: S 14 to 19 knots
Afternoon
http://www.buoyweather.com/new/images/yellowflag.gif Breezy whitecapping conditions with moderate choppy seas. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: ESE 1.6 meters at 10 seconds
Winds: SSE 14 to 18 knots
Sunday 3/25

Morning
http://www.buoyweather.com/new/images/yellowflag.gif Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate short period wind waves.
Seas: SE 1.9 meters at 6 sec.
Winds: SE 18 to 25 knots
Afternoon
http://www.buoyweather.com/new/images/yellowflag.gif Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: SE 1.8 meters at 6 sec.
Winds: SE 15 to 21 knots

It will be a bit less in the bay. This is the forecast for Cape Moreton.

From Raby Bay or Manly it is still about 42 kilometers, but about 28 kilometers from Spinaker Sound, Bribie.

LP

Fillet`n`Release
20-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I think this weather coming from up north might ruin your chances this weekend, crossing the bay isn't something to be trifled with imo. With any luck (touch wood, hold breath, cross fingers etc) the weather might settle down into April and opportunities to go for a run across the bay might be much better (and safer) for you. In any case, best of luck when you do go. It really is beautiful over there. I always stop off at Tangas for a swim on my way home from playing in the bay.

netmaker
20-03-2012, 07:25 PM
yep. think you should consider sth straddy/jumpinpin area instead.

AnthonyL
20-03-2012, 07:32 PM
We go over there a few times a month in a 6.2 mtr glass boat and I wouldnt go this weekend with the winds predicted.

Better to find another spot this weekend I think .. When the winds are good and you are ready to give it a go then see if anyone from here is heading over too that you can follow.

MEG-A-BITE
20-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Yep I agree with AnthonyL,we go often and I have a 630 glass boat,going over in the morning is not all that bad, but the trip back gets very bumpy.I would wait for better weather conditions.

Floating Rib
20-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Agree with above, if you use boat passage(fishermans island) the river mouth can get very messy with a run out into some northerly wind, jumpin pin is a nice place to zip around in and you can always find a bit of shelter.

merseybluenose
20-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Great advice lads, will definitely keep an eye on the weather and would only remotely consider it if winds were perfect......which sadly looks like they wont.

When I do will defo post up and hope to follow someone over!

fat-buoy
21-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Worth the trip with the right weather conditions but with the current weather conditions definitely not worth the trip..

I am getting pretty pissed off and depressed at the same time every time I look at the week forecasted winds :(

fishfeeder
21-03-2012, 10:31 AM
If it does blow up when your over there, I would suggest putting the Family on the ferry and drive back alone.
One bad trip will make it hard to get the family back in the boat.

Todddo
21-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Even the ferry is a bit scary in strong winds. Many years ago I was in a grade 10 fishing comp over near the wrecks in 40knot winds. Coming back I have never seen waves break over the bow on such a large ferry in a bay! Just goes to show it does chop up there quite bad!

Booya
21-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Time your run across the paddock when tide is running with the wind..... will give a more comfortable ride (compared to wind against tide)