PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky transport Dept SOB's

Sheik
20-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Seastorm brought up a point recently about night licences. I'd like to warn people about renewing your licence online.
I got my renewal in the mail, and the form says just jump online and renew your application. Luckily, I read a little further down the page, where it says your boat licence will not be renewed if you pay online. So just as a word of warning - it looks like you have to actually go into qld transport office if you want to keep your boat licence. those that don't see that might end up having to redo their test or pay some fee to get it reinstated on their licence.
Or maybe I'm just misreading this; being cynical.

Shawn 66
20-03-2012, 02:51 AM
I hope tp christ you are wrong . The way I read it was , your boat licence will still be valid , it is just if you want your boat licence printed on your car licence you have to visit the dept of transport .
Shawn

Noelm
20-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I kind of doubt that would be the case, I think you may have mis read the whole thing.

marto78
20-03-2012, 07:33 AM
It pays to go down to the transport dept to make sure they still have a record of your boat license as apparently when they upgraded to this new smart card system they lost a lot quite a few records of people having boat licenses (like mine) and unless you can produce your original license you will have to redo the boat license test.

Tracker
20-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote from http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Recreational.aspx
If you choose to renew your driver licence online, you are issued with a renewal label. The marine licence indicator is not included on the renewal label. If you hold a recreational marine driver licence or personal watercraft licence and would like it included on your driver licence, you should renew your licence in person at a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/Contact-us/In-person/Customer-service-centres.aspx) or licence issuing agency.

also
In 2000, Maritime Safety Queensland changed from a paper-based boat licence to a virtual licence. Licence details are recorded in a computerised database which is accessible by on-water enforcement officers such as Water Police and Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol.

So I guess if you cross the border and need visual proof of boat licence you have to go into transport dept and renew licence,but if you are in qld any officer has access to database.
welcome to the qld paperless system.

Stuart
20-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I got my boat liscence over 23 years ago when it was a life long licence. Suffice to say I have never renewed it. Does this mean I now have no licence.

LittleSkipper
20-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Thought I would post my feedback after reading this thread as I had to renew my Qld Drivers Licence last year to the new "Smart Card" system with the chip in it which also has my marine endorsement attached to it. I've also had my marine endorsement for 21 years so it's fair to say "Stuart" I don't think it means you have 'NO' licence.

The information "Tracker" has posted is correct,you must go to your local Dept of Tpt to have the marine endorsement placed on your licence, and NO you won't have to re-sit licence tests etc if you make the mistake of renewing it online.

They may charge you a fee and they would be in their rights too if you renew your licence online and then realise your mistake without noting the part about your marine endorsement-but that would from no fault but your own. "READ" "READ" "READ"! before you renew or call them if your not sure.

tenzing
20-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I just checked my wallet and I still have my 28 yr old paper licence with me!
Got to be careful with it though, its like an old treasure map.

C'mon , someone must be able to do better than mine!

Cheers
Brendan

Sheik
20-03-2012, 10:29 PM
"If you choose to renew your driver licence online, you are issued with a renewal label. The marine licence indicator is not included on the renewal label. If you hold a recreational marine driver licence or personal watercraft licence and would like it included on your driver licence, you should renew your licence in person at a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre (http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/About-us/Contact-us/In-person/Customer-service-centres.aspx) or licence issuing agency.

also
In 2000, Maritime Safety Queensland changed from a paper-based boat licence to a virtual licence. Licence details are recorded in a computerised database which is accessible by on-water enforcement officers such as Water Police and Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol."

I still think the wording is at best ambiguous, and if someone wanted to read it that way, they could say you are unlicensed.
Maybe I should have forwarded this to clive palmer. Maybe the CIA don't want us to have marine licences....
Anyway, I'll go with the consensus, thanks ausfishers. I still might go across to rosalie anyway just to be sure that it is there on my card.

Moonlighter
21-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I got my boat liscence over 23 years ago when it was a life long licence. Suffice to say I have never renewed it. Does this mean I now have no licence.

No, you still have your licence. Have a look at your current drivers licence - on the line where it says DOB, Sex, Height, Conditions, the next word should be "Marine" and underneath that on mine it says RMDL which I imagine stands for recreational marine drivers licence. This shows you have your marine speed boat drivers licence - the old type like ours that were issued forever - no expiry date.

If its not there next time you renew your drivers licence go in to Transport and ask them to add it to your licence. Take your old paper licence with you if you still have it, just in case they havent got it recorded on their system.

Cheers

ML

charleville
21-03-2012, 11:44 AM
You need a licence to drive a car in Queensland????

When did they introduce that rule?

;D;D;D

Chas & Clarry
21-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Funny, I was checking my V Sheet a couple of days ago and my old paper licence fell out from about 30 year ago...complete with a very "youthful" looking signature that is nothing like my current one....but I do have the RMDL on my drivers licence :)

Feral
23-03-2012, 05:41 AM
You can always ask them for a letter stating you have a marine licence, thats what they used to provide before they started marking drivers licences.
(And I assume would still need for anyone with a marine licene and no drivers licence, remembering you can get a marine licence earlier than a drivers licence) Still got mine somewhere, very handy back in those days if you wanted to hire boats etc interstate.

ozscott
23-03-2012, 07:16 AM
For 5 dollars or so you can get a marine licence confirmation certificate from the DOT online. Just need a credit card and driver's licence no name and DOB. It's the same thing boat hire places use. Cheers

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Recreational.aspx

Top right second down - verify your marine licence

Dicko
23-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I just checked my wallet and I still have my 28 yr old paper licence with me!
Got to be careful with it though, its like an old treasure map.

C'mon , someone must be able to do better than mine!

Cheers
Brendan

Only just...it'll be 30 yrs next month.

I copied mine recently & have it on the computer as it's also getting tatty. Mine's not noted on my drivers license & I prefer it that way. When checked on the water every now and then, some of the younger water police marvel at it and have a laugh, but still accept it no problem.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/Barry_Mundi/boatlic.jpg

It says I can get a new copy for $2. I should take them up on that offer.

ozscott
23-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Theres a combo you dont see much:)

Chimo
23-03-2012, 11:32 AM
78280Well tenzing and dicko I just had a hunt and found one of my licences issued and to remain in force until canceled dated 13 Jan 1969 which makes it some 43 yrs. No wonder one gets to be a bit of a GOM from time to time. No doubt there are older ones among the AF skill set.

Cheers
Chimo

Dicko
23-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Crikey, us young blokes can't even remember 1969 ;D

Sevric
23-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that ozscott,
Seems a painless way to have a paper confirmation. Like many others i have had a marine licence since the 70s and of recent years have simply renewed this online as a part of my drivers licence. I came from NSW many years ago and so the the paper licence i held for that state seemed meaningless and was discarded. A paper back up is a good idea; thanks.

Chas & Clarry
23-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Dicko, I think mine is only a few days older than yours March or early April 1982......it is with the boat over at the in-laws (our front yard has turned into a swamp so the boat is at their place where we know it won't be bogged if we try to get out on sunday) I'll have to check on Sunday.
Tim

tenzing
23-03-2012, 11:02 PM

I copied mine recently & have it on the computer as it's also getting tatty. Mine's not noted on my drivers license & I prefer it that way. When checked on the water every now and then, some of the younger water police marvel at it and have a laugh, but still accept it no problem.

It says I can get a new copy for $2. I should take them up on that offer.
Geez Dicko , you must have just been a kid. 172 cm and blonde!!

Chas & Clarry
25-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Dicko...turned out I remembered that a bit wrong...instead of mine being a few days earlier than yours it was about a week after yours...7th May 1982

It was easy to get a licence back then...went to Margate, only one channel marker in sight, dead flat day...retreaved a life jacket that was thrown overboard...answered 3 or 4 questions...done

Seems keeping the old licence in the v sheet bag is a less damaging option than having it in your wallet ::)