PDA

View Full Version : US trailer import coupling

top_deck69
19-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi All,

For those of you that have imported a trailer with and US hitch how have you gone about picking up the boat and trailer from the docks?

I know you can get a unregistered vehicle permit to tow the trailer

I'm guessing the trailer import permit will specify you need to change the hitch to a AUS compliant one

Do you just take the new coupling with and change it before you tow it?

Cheers
Ben

leezor
19-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Ben, the first one I brought over I simply bought the right size ball from a trailer parts shop and towed it home. The second time around I sent the correct coupling to the US and had them fit it to the trailer in the factory.

top_deck69
19-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Leezor,
thanks for the help

Ben

tunaticer
19-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Most US trailers have I think a 2 1/4" ball (56mm i think they nominate them at supercheap). I know of several guys that just buy a suitable ball then tow the trailer to a place to get the mods done to be compliant.

wrxhoon
19-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Depending on the size of the trailer most up to 7000lb have 2" coupling, over that they use 2 5/16" .
the other problem is if you buy a 2" ball from USA they have 1" shaft so it won't fit your 7/8" hole .
You can use a 50mm ball ( 2" is 50.8 mm) and tighten the adjusting bolt a little.

cormorant
20-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Beware of unreg permits and insurance. If something goes wrong you may be in the crap. Check it out with your insurer and road authority.

Some dock guys know their stuff and if you aren't a tradesman probably won't let you take it out behind a underrated truck or obviously unroadworthy trailer nor let you do work on it at the dock as they may have some liability if it all goes wrong.

Taking another hitch doesn't work as the hole spacings and mount plates can be very different. Brakes , controller and fittings ?

All I can say is depending on the size boat is to load the trailer on a car trailer or rent a flatbed / tilttray.

terryc
20-03-2012, 10:43 PM
my son purchased a larson bowrider early this yr 3rd hand american trailer qld rego & rwc yet still with usa hitch seems to work on regular tow ball, is this hitch legal to continue to use or should he replace it' thanks terry

captain rednut
21-03-2012, 07:59 PM
All trailer hitches that don't have Australian compliance number stamped (australian standard) on them are illegal regardless of size in australia.
i personally disagree with our rules here on couplings and i like some of the imported american ones i believe they are much safer and stronger then ours but the rules are the rules.

wrxhoon
21-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Captain ,

I agree with you ,
We use Chinese made cast couplings here and I have seen them break, yep snap off.
I much prefer the USA pressed steel couplings , never seen one break and they fit over the draw bar , blt on the side much better set up.
Like you said they have to have an Australian compiance stamped on them and be 50mm up to 3.5 t and 70mm over that.

The other thing you will find out normal 50 mm balls have 22mmm (7/8 shaft) , in USA they have 1' shaft ( 25.4mm) .

captain rednut
21-03-2012, 09:52 PM
i cant believe they let people like myself tow boats around at 3500kg legally on a 50mm ball and the concerning part is if i load my boat with fishing related stuff for a big trip it could go 4000kg on the 50mm ball. that's scary. it should be compulsory to have 70mm ball over 3tonne to be safe. we have crap rules here that don't make sense. and i agree the pressed steel hitches Ive seen are awesome.
cheers Jim

Lovey80
22-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Some dock guys know their stuff and if you aren't a tradesman probably won't let you take it out behind a underrated truck or obviously unroadworthy trailer nor let you do work on it at the dock as they may have some liability if it all goes wrong.

Why would a docker care firstly and most importantly what right does anyone to not "let" someone do anything to their own property? How would they stop them?

terryc
22-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys i have sent a link to this thread to my son, don't know how the current hitch passed rwc.

captain rednut
22-03-2012, 06:38 PM
hey terryc there's no problem until something goes horribly wrong, and the police wouldn't ever pick it up as they luckily don't get trained in boat trailer mechanical identification or there would be boat trailers being fined everywhere. i have a large trailer boat myself and had to make mine aus compliant or i would never stop worrying about what if something goes wrong??
cheers jim