PDA

View Full Version : Dusted on the yak x4

carnster
18-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Well the last cobe had been eaten up and the family was lovin it and begging for more, so i went for a paddle to try again. Hooked up straight away and was pretty stoked to land a 1.28m cobe without too much trouble on heavy drag. Thought i would try again but got absolutely smoked 4 times by some beasts. One Cobe rammed my ski and i got a pretty good look at the massiveness of the fish. Then it took off for the depths and 50lb braid (red lined) was no match for its pure size and power. I would estimate he was well over 1.6m and 30kg++. It seems like the more you try to hurt them the more they go hard for the reef. I tried backing off on the next one but the result was the same. The next one had me grunting and groaning for about 15mins until the reef and then a ping was felt. A 2kg reef flatty was next and he didn't really stand a chance. Then i got toothed by a suspected mackerel. It was getting a bit silly after the 4th big bust up, so i went home and bought some 65lb braid and a heavier reel both online. My 6000 sized spinning reel is creaking pretty bad so i am looking for a stronger one, as cheap as possible. Anyway the family all came today and we ate like "kings".

kevinnugent@westnet.
18-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Yikes. Where did all this happen?

carnster
18-03-2012, 11:21 PM
About 4km offshore Goldie.

vertico
19-03-2012, 01:14 AM
i got one a few years back on 80lb in 25m of water and it sure did go hard, it went 37kg i dont know how long it was.

outta line
19-03-2012, 06:12 AM
well done again mate...are your arms a bit longer with the workouts...lol.....i fished off tweed on sat the water was the best ive seen it for awhile heaps of current and nice and blue...bet palmy would of been a madhouse......cheers mick

carnster
19-03-2012, 03:58 PM
well done again mate...are your arms a bit longer with the workouts...lol.....i fished off tweed on sat the water was the best ive seen it for awhile heaps of current and nice and blue...bet palmy would of been a madhouse......cheers mick
It was mate so i went out wide.

Postal
19-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Mate you seem to have the golden touch when it comes to bringing home a feed - great consistency!

jm82
19-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Well done carnster, 30kg + cobe in a tinny is hard work. In a kayak is just out of control. Look forward to your report when you do nail a serious brute

carnster
19-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Well done carnster, 30kg + cobe in a tinny is hard work. In a kayak is just out of control. Look forward to your report when you do nail a serious brute
Thanks mate. 50lb is my biggest on the yak, but i did catch one much bigger on the yak but without a gaff or a tail rope i released it to fight another day. It was that heavy it would have sunk my yak for sure. My upper back is still sore lol.

Jackinthebox
19-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Jeez Carnster, you're a bloody legend and you fish more in a month than I do in a year!!!! Gotta get a yak!

4km offshore from Palmy eh? Must be a serious pinnacle out there to be getting done by those cobes, I've found most of the reef close in off the coast is pretty flat(except for the Tweed).

Keep that spot under your hat. (Do you go out under cover of darkness with camo gear on?? ;D)

Cheers

Mick.

lightsout76
19-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Carnster,

You sure do consistantly come up with the goods out of that lttle Yak of yours, well done mate love seeing the different stuff you come home with.

Cheers,
Leon.

MattChew
21-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Good work mate, especially under paddle power. I had a suspected monster hookup after boating several Cobia in the 1.2m class with a PE2 rod and 3000 reel ... I didn't have a hope in hell on the bigger fish.

Ta
Matt

rando
21-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Mate
I saw an old bloke bring his yak ashore at Mermaid a few tears back,, his outfits were short strokers with Alvey snapper reels . I thought at the time they were Ideal yak outfits. His 'yak was the old bondwood type.
He had a heap of "mana " as our kiwi brothers say.
Congratulations on the great catches you keep posting.

carnster
21-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Mate
I saw an old bloke bring his yak ashore at Mermaid a few tears back,, his outfits were short strokers with Alvey snapper reels . I thought at the time they were Ideal yak outfits. His 'yak was the old bondwood type.
He had a heap of "mana " as our kiwi brothers say.
Congratulations on the great catches you keep posting.

That sounds like 75yr old Dennis/legend. He has caught some beauty's but i have seen him monstered on the alvey's a few times.

netmaker
21-03-2012, 04:26 PM
well done yet qgain. plenty of feeds in a cobe that size anyway. i get some crazy images in my head when i try to picture a bloke hangin onto fish like that from water level lol. particularly those large snapping spanish. would scare the crap outta me. just a bit too close to the water for my liking. your making an art of it tho. keep em coming.
cheers
davo

SUPERFORM
29-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey Carnster,
Do you ever have any dramas with the grey suit brigade on your paddle back in.......

carnster
29-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Hey Carnster,
Do you ever have any dramas with the grey suit brigade on your paddle back in.......

Yeah had a few run ins but i am still goin!

Lovey80
29-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Awesome catch there mate.

BTW 1.6m+Cobes you are talking 40kg plus++

carnster
29-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Awesome catch there mate.

BTW 1.6m+Cobes you are talking 40kg plus++

My biggest that i have kept on the yak, is 1.5m. But i released one yakside that i measured against my yak at 2m; it was way too heavy to get on the yak. It was good feeling to see him swim away but.

Lovey80
30-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Was the 1.5m COBE around the 40kg mark? My best is just over 1.5m and three of us estimated 40kg+

carnster
30-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Was the 1.5m COBE around the 40kg mark? My best is just over 1.5m and three of us estimated 40kg+

I didn't get to weigh it. I measured it and then filleted it at the car cause it was way too big for my esky. Not a great fillet percentage return on the cobes unfortunately. I would say def 25kg++, but it is hard to say. I caught one 1.45m that i did weigh at 23kg on proper electronic scales. A mate of mine caught one 1.4m that weighed 30kg.

thelump
30-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I caught one 1.5 and weighed 32kg. Either way a lot of extra weight to paddle back in with.