PDA

View Full Version : Well chopping

lee560
18-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Anyone got pics of chopping the wells out of a cat? Wondering wether to leave the centre piece behind the seat there and just strengthen and infill where the engines used to hang or take the lot off and make a one piece rear wall?

FishHunter
19-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Maybe some pics of your particular boat or even a make and model would help.

lee560
19-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Mid 80's, centre console, 5.6 m sharkcat with the duckboard off the back

Noelm
20-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess if you are going to the trouble to start cutting the transom about, why not just do the whole thing and cut it back to flat and start there, rather than try to leave bits and pieces there.

lee560
20-03-2012, 12:31 PM
That was a good rebuild on that link thanks Noel. Still haven't decided about the chop yet.

Noelm
20-03-2012, 12:37 PM
yeah, he did a good job on that one hey? I can get you his contact details if you want to ask him about cutting the back to bits.

lee560
20-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks Noel, thinking of leaving it as is for now,the transom is still solid it's just the under side of the well but I think it has the thickness to still be sturdy, (maybe)
What sort of paint have you used? My mate has a panel shop and wants to paint the bottom mould in poly u 400 and the top mould in speedyliner (bit like rhino lining) any thoughts be great as it might be headin to town this week. Ta

Noelm
21-03-2012, 07:02 AM
I left my boat in original gelcoat, I made lots of enquiries about painting and came up with a bout 20 differing opinions, from "it will be good" to "don't even think about it" there seemed to be a common trend in saying the undercoat/primers is the key to the whole thing, in saying that a lot told me that 2 pack is way too hard and it will chip if it gets knocked, and I have seen a lot of boats chipped badly, but if you have to paint, then so be it, from what I learned, quality 2 pack, with a good primers is the only way to go.

Noelm
21-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I just re-read your reply, are you saying there is timber on the underside of your motor well? mine is just a few layers of glass (maybe 6-8mm thick) no timber at all, however on one side right were the inspection port is, there is what looks like about 100mm of "bog" sort of like when they were building the boat, they had a heap left over so they just dumped it on the under side, thinking no one would ever see it, but it is right where the hole for the plastic port is.

Jarrah Jack
21-03-2012, 08:05 AM
So some worker dumped some bog in your boat Noel, must've had a sense of humor.

Noelm
21-03-2012, 08:31 AM
yep, but I bet the guy that drilled the hole for the inspection port was not too amused, thinking a 2 minute job to cut through a few layers of glass, turns into 15 mins to cut through 4-5" of solid bog!

lee560
21-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah mine has timber of probably 18ml under the glass . By the sounds of it the timber doesn't need to be there it still has the glass on top.