PDA

View Full Version : Boat for fishing far north reef/offshore??

aidbox
18-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Hey guys- need some help!
Moved to Cardwell and love my barra fishing and have a tinny for that, but now looking at a reef boat too. Im after advice of what size, type and anything else. What are the best centre console boats for this? Im looking at spending around $25-30000. I have seen a lot of glass boats but heard they are a better ride but harder to maintain. I have also heard that plate boats are better as they carve through better than pressed boats (including the new millenmium hull??). 5.5m centre console is what I have been looking at with no motor under 80hp.
Any ideas, opinions and info please???:-?

Flex
18-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Glass boat all the way for dedicated offshore. Granted offshore Cardwell is only 35km but thats still 35km of bashing in a tinny. Also you wont find a plate boat for $25k but lots of glass ones around that price.

They are not harder to maintain. The only annoyance is storage at homes. Let the leaves in and they stain like a bastard..

Lucky_Phill
18-03-2012, 06:39 PM
offshore boats are a personal thing.

Would you be doing overnighters ?

Do you need big esky space ?

With a budget of 30K. you do have many options.

I am an Platey person and IMO there are a number of plateys that ' do not bash ".

Pacific Sportfish ( now Noble ), Riptide, AMM and more. A lot of ' bash ' is driver / skipper error.

The Noble have NO strakes, which gives them the best ride of a plate boats, just not my opinion.

Certainly tinnies ride higher in the water ( cork like effect ) and Glass can travel smoother... weight causes this.

You'll have to look at your tow vehicle as well, as most Glass boats will consume that 2ton real quick without gettin to 6mtrs.

Plateys can get to 7mtrs before towing weights come into it.

Opting for the Centre Consol, it appears you'll be doing day trips and possibly trolling. As you know, you 'll probably need a T -top to keep the sun off ya noggin up that way.

You'll get a lot of plate and 80hp motor for 30K. Try to keep the motor under 5 years old, but if it's a 4 banger, there will be no issues if it has a few hundred hours on the meter.

Cairns Custom Craft do a solid tinnie, based in Cairns ( of course ) but are well recieved by the NQ folks.

Plate hull is way better than pressed, to which you have elluded. 5.5 mtr tinnie should have at least a 5mm thick hull, 6mm is better.

Good luck.

Cheers LP

FishHunter
18-03-2012, 07:10 PM
By all accounts the "NQ chop" eats ally boats alive :) I would be looking at glass myself and the shelter of a cuddy or half cabin is much appreciated when the wind comes up and the spray is flying

aidbox
18-03-2012, 07:24 PM
offshore boats are a personal thing.

Would you be doing overnighters ?

Do you need big esky space ?

With a budget of 30K. you do have many options.

I am an Platey person and IMO there are a number of plateys that ' do not bash ".

Pacific Sportfish ( now Noble ), Riptide, AMM and more. A lot of ' bash ' is driver / skipper error.

The Noble have NO strakes, which gives them the best ride of a plate boats, just not my opinion.

Certainly tinnies ride higher in the water ( cork like effect ) and Glass can travel smoother... weight causes this.

You'll have to look at your tow vehicle as well, as most Glass boats will consume that 2ton real quick without gettin to 6mtrs.

Plateys can get to 7mtrs before towing weights come into it.

Opting for the Centre Consol, it appears you'll be doing day trips and possibly trolling. As you know, you 'll probably need a T -top to keep the sun off ya noggin up that way.

You'll get a lot of plate and 80hp motor for 30K. Try to keep the motor under 5 years old, but if it's a 4 banger, there will be no issues if it has a few hundred hours on the meter.

Cairns Custom Craft do a solid tinnie, based in Cairns ( of course ) but are well recieved by the NQ folks.

Plate hull is way better than pressed, to which you have elluded. 5.5 mtr tinnie should have at least a 5mm thick hull, 6mm is better.

Good luck.

Cheers LP

Thanks Phil, yeah mainly day trips I would think. I like the thought of throwing lures at tuna and GTs therefor the centre console. I have 0 offshore experience and though plate would be safer. I will look into those brands- I have no idea of the brands of plate boats- unlike pressed- quintrex stacer etc. Which are the best brands like these in plate boats? I have seen a lot of 'custom' plates boats- what are they like? Im worried about the boats with having the best ride and dryer than others? Im guessing 80hp would be the min for a 5.5m boat? What are you driving for interests sake? Im guessing you are doing the same type of distance/fishing I am looking at?

STUIE63
18-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I fish out of Lucinda at the southern end of the channel . I have a 5.5m galeforce glass cc . I use it for chasing barra in the channel and also up to 100km offshore when the weather is right . if you get a 5.5 then you are still going to look for days with 10 knot winds to go out wide even though you will be able to get to the closer in reefs in 10-15's . my thoughts are that with a 5.5 don't go below 90 hp .and if you go for one of the plateys with big shoulders then don't go below 115 hp
Stuie

whiteman
18-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I fish the reefs from Lucinda in a 5.3m Quinnie Cuddy and get out around 70km at times. I get bashed up in the chop and sometimes envy those guys in the bigger glass boats that hoot by (usually on the way home when the NE comes in after lunch). BUT, most boats get bashed by the chop, just some more than others. It would be fantastic to have a 6.5m glass boat with a honking great donk on the back with bunks to sleep overnight. But I fish alone a lot so a lightweight rig serves me best. A dry boat is the most important thing for me and the Quinnie Cuddy is at least that. A longboat like the Hooker is the best boat I've been in to handle the chop but I got very wet in it.

BRENDO1
22-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Hey mate,
I was in the same situation you are in a month ago. I was too unsure about plate or glass. After weighing it up i bought a 5.5 galeforce cc. I'm glad i went glass for the ride quality. IMO any cc boat is wet, some less than others. And the weight in glass compared to plate, there isn't too much difference. The older glass boats are a lot heavier than the new ones, but sometimes the oldies are better riding. You might be able to pick up an old sportfish, which are great boats. I agree with Stu, buy something with at least 90 - 115 hp.
hope this helps

caravellerob
22-03-2012, 06:56 PM
I dont think it matters what you are in sometimes, unless its about 30+ feet. We came hope in 15 - 20 knot se a couple of weeks ago in my 19 ft glass cuddy cab and although we left a 520c signature and caught up to a 21ft allison vista we copped a hiding sitting on about 30 - 40 kph. we had to come back from the north to mackay harbour. I thought my 20+ years in moreton bay threw up some nasty waves when the weather turned!!!!!!

Reef Cruiser
22-03-2012, 09:20 PM
i have a cruise craft 5.5 reef ranger which is a glass boat it does the job for me .there are better boats around but for the price there are a good boat to have for overnight work under 2 tons total weight .motor 150 merc good fishing area and handles chop very well .high cabin which is good for spray ,i dont think i would ever sell mine

scuttlebutt
22-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I used to have a Cyclone 540 which is the softest riding boat I've been in. They make a centre console and would be fine for GT's and Tuna (that's what I used mine for). They are small for a 5.4m boat though - long pointy nose and lowish sides. Still, good safe boats very well made.

seren-y-mor
26-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I have just the boat for you, its a 5.2 metre kevla cat, with twin 70 yammies with only 70 hrs on them (2003 model engines) sitting on an alloy trailer. I am asking 35k for her I am in airlie beach so we are not that far from you, we have over nighted on it (swag on the deck and 1 in the cab).. sorry guys I know this isnt the for sale section but its a great offshore boat and under 2 tonnes...
Jason

Thedoc
13-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I have a boat for sale great reef boat and has no problem with the ''çhop' 6m Mustang c a 200hp Merc EFI on the back . We go out 60 km's + off Cairns mainly night fishing had her out in everything always got us home . Very safe great boat. I've got a Seapro 270 Wa c twin 150 verados coming in from the US so need to sell this one will miss her. Sorry know not for sale section.

Cheers

Eoin