PDA

View Full Version : Help out young blokes who are struggling with the school system D.I. Point etc

malby
17-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Double Island Point land based..either side..any tips..help diss-advantaged boys

Hi all,

I work with a program called Connect where we take 'at risk' year 7-10 State School boys away on a series of camps to give them 'time out' from the regular education and help them to learn skills they may not otherwise have access to and build confidence through outdoor education experiences. See: http://www.su-connect.org.au/

The camps are designed to teach the boys how to fend for themselves and thus they learn to cook for themselves, are taught how to erect shelters/hutchies and amongst a bunch of other stuff they are taught by myself how to fish. A skill many have had little exposure to.

Connect camps are held in 4 different locations for 3 days each time and our first camp for term 1 for each group is held at the Coloured sands area just north of Teewah Beach.

We have 4 wd's of course and so far have had some excellent help from a bloke named Wazza the Wormer who has randomly been there each time we've been up and taught us some basic worming skills (though none of us have got one ourselves yet!!??) and has generally given us enough beach worms to enjoy our couple of days up there fishing.;D

So far I have been on 2 camps. I am newly employed in this role and the camps have been running for quite some years but never run with a fisho on board so we are tracking new territory.

Things I have tried thus far:

I have a fair bit of experience in beach fishing and have thus far been fishing the gutters at the northern end of the beach as early or late in the day as has been possible and around tide changes also where possible.

Results: a few Dart:(

I have tried the lagoon on the Rainbow beach side of Double Island and I reckon it has plenty of potential and ideal for the boys as its mostly out of the gale force southerlies, big sweeping currents and pounding swells etc but so far no joy and that's using beach worms, live herring and poddy mullet. :(

My boundaries are it must be land based and we cannot fish the rocks due to safety reasons and litigation and all of that wonderful stuff we all love................................not ;D

So....anyone out there want to help like Wazza the Wormer and make these boys lot in life a little better??:)

I am currently looking for:

1. any tips on fishing the area (Pm me if you want to keep it 'on the quiet')
2. donations of suitable fishing gear especially alvey rods and reels as I am currently using my own eggbeaters/spinning reels which are copping a hammering and currently full of sand etc
3. terminal tackle suitable including hooks, sinkers, etc
4. a haul net and/or cast net (or 2 cast nets even better)
5. A yabby pump or 2 as I just discovered a spot where we can get amongst them.
6. Rod holders for bullbar and/or roof racks.
7. Rod holders for beach fishing

It should be noted that I have advertised for help with gear already on the classifieds section and have not had any calls as yet. :(

Finally I'd also like to point out that there are others out there willing to help such boys and they include heaps of Tradies that form part of the group called: http://buildthefuture.org.au/

These guys and gals are legends and raise the money for these programs each year through the goodness of their own hearts as this program is totally self funded, though a big slab of funding also comes from the RSL who have been awesome in making it happen but it currently attracts 'no Government funding'.

And on that note I mentioned this Connect program to my regular Rod and Reel repairer guy named Ken Burgess from Frazorods at Joyner on the Northside and Ken said straight away that he'd like to help out by maintaining our reels for free on a regular basis. What a top bloke Ken is!;D

Anyway, enough raps for those great people for their help.

If anyone else can help with the above requests it would be most appreciated!!

Thanks heaps in advance as I know there are plenty of Ausfishers who can and I reckon will help as I have already experienced plenty of help personally.

I also reckon there's be plenty of you guys out there that have had a tough time in your past either back at school or otherwise that would be happy to help out young fella's that are doing it tough now.

All the best,

Mal;)

Ps. See below for details of the program:

What is the Connect program?

SU QLD’s Connect Program is a long-term adventure-based learning program designed to help young people who are at risk of suicide, are facing exclusion from school, come from broken homes or are locked into cycles of addiction.
Connect is an early prevention and intervention program for youth at risk, providing a number of adventure camps to help young teenagers develop positive attitudes, improved self-esteem and essential life skills. As part of a holistic approach, Connect also involves key faculty and family at every stage.
It aims to break negative habits and behavioural cycles by helping ‘at risk’ young people to critically evaluate their experiences in school and in the community, and to help them set a positive course that will support their life goals.
The program aims to help young people to:

Develop positive attitudes, self-esteem and a belief in themselves;
Be empowered to live purposeful lives;
Decrease their alienation from school, parents and the community; and
Develop caring relationships through an essential support system.

The program involves a series of adventure-based / experiential learning camps that include activities such as abseiling, hiking, canoeing and ropes courses. It is through involvement in these activities that participants learn invaluable leadership skills, self belief, team work and general life skills. Once participants have completed the Connect Program they continue to receive small group support and individual mentoring, from key people in their school and community, to ensure the skills learnt during the Program continue to be fostered.

Why?

For many young teenagers, the early – middle high school years can be a particularly difficult time and young people may feel alienated from their schools, families and communities. For some it can be a time when destructive patterns are developed, leading to dysfunctional behavioural cycles that can stay with them their whole lives. SU QLD’s Connect Program is about breaking this cycle or countering it before it begins and building in young men a foundation for life.

Crestcutter
17-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I will have a dig in the shed, I think i have a few surf rods. Problem will be getting them to you as im in Nanango.

nigelr
17-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Malby, forgive me if I am stating the obvious here, but are you able to approach the major tackle retailers/distributors/importers/manufacturers for a little 'sponsorship' or 'promotion' in the way of product?
Best of luck with it, sounds like a fantastic program.

snapperdan
17-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Mate i dont know if you have an exodos foundation up there in QLD. Get in contact with them. They wont give you funding but might be able to introduce you to someone who knows how to get it.

softplasticsdude79
17-03-2012, 05:16 PM
good onya mate,love supporting groups like this,just looked at my ebay gear and in my shed and im happy to donate a few items,

-1 x brand new unused (plastic still on) Force ten Yabbie pump
-approx 100 size 2 egg sinkers (second hand-stripped from cast net)
-30 brand new jigheads - 1/32-1/0 hook up to 3/8-4/0 hook
-5 hard body lures
-30 Mixed soft plastics - all sizes and styles
-Set of digital Scales for weighing fish
-and some more stuff that cant think off,have plenty in my shed

all gear is ready for immediate pick up

All i ask in return is a few pics to show the goods im donating going to good use,Would be happy to provide more in the future if required.

Im in Caboolture if you can pick them up,if not,let me know,i can probably work something else out so you get them.

Adam

malby
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks heaps Crestcutter. I will pm you regarding hooking up to sort out connecting. Much appreciated,

Mal

malby
17-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey Nigel,

I have already approached 1 obvious one and they tell me they are asked about such stuff regularly.

They 'were able to help' but only at discount rates which is awesome but at this stage we are very low on funds as we have just launched the Program on the North side of Brisbane.

Up till now it has been a 'South side only' program and as you can imagine there are considerable set-up costs so at this stage looking for donations only.

I thought I'd ask about at the Tinnie and Tackle show when I go next week.

All the best,

Thanks for the suggestion,

Keep them coming,

Mal

malby
17-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi snapperdan,

I will pass your suggestion on to my management.

Much appreciated,

Mal

malby
17-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Wow Adam!!

That is very generous mate! ;D

Hearing back from people like you and the other guys is just so encouraging!

I'm sure the boys will get some great use out of your gear and I'm happy to pass your request re the pics though to my management.

I will Pm you re details of connecting shortly,

Much thanks,

Mal

rosco1974
17-03-2012, 07:50 PM
mal will have a look under the house mate think i got a few surf rods and maybe a reel or 2 i could give ya for the boys...i drive 2 caboolture every 2nd week to pick up my son so might be able too meet up with ya to give you what i have..i have a heap of ball surf sinkers i will find up for ya as well..think from 8-12 ball
cheers rosco

malby
17-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Rosco,

Thanks heaps for that.

I was starting to run a bit low on my stock of surf sinkers so very nice timing.;)

Old rods/reels in the garage sound just great!

You should have seen the smile on a young year 7 lad last week as he pulled in a 33cm Dart! It was the biggest on camp and he knew the least about fishing. He was using one of my old rods/reels that used to sit on the roof of the garage collecting dust.

I don't know who was happier, me or him!;D A few of the other lads were 'so excited' as they landed their first Dart (most had never even heard of Dart) too.

We took a photo of him with a big grin from ear to ear.

I will ask his parent/s and my boss if they would be ok to for me to use the shot on Ausfish as I reckon it would be good for people like you to see what joy your old gear is bringing to kids who struggle to get a break in life.

Good on you Rosco!

Please PM me your phone number and I'll call you to arrange a pick up/connection point.

All the best and thanks so much for your generosity!

Mal

killitfillit
17-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Pump some yabbies at low tide and throw them under the barge when it disturbs the sand for some whiting bream and trevally.
Throw out some live whiting on the turn of the tide early morning in the first gutter inside the mouth for some golden trevally or a lizard.

malby
17-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks killit fillet.

Our camps are held up at Double Island Point area at the coloured sands camping area about 10-15 k's from DI. Are you talking about Noosa or where exactly?

I'm sure liking your tips anyway,

Mal

Feral
18-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Where are you Malby, I think I've got got a couple of beach rods and a couple of alvey reels sitting in the shed I haven't used in a lot of years, my knees cant take beach fishing anymore - may as well get put to good use.
I'm up near caboolture, so if your arranging to drop in to one of the other blokes places I could drop them there for you.

malby
18-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks Feral.

I'm also up your way at Morayfield so may be just as easy to connect. Just PM me your phone number and I'll tee up a connection point or come by and get them.

Appreciate your generosity and willingness to contribute to the cause.

Much appreciated,

Mal

Chas & Clarry
19-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Mal

I see on the SU website that it is possible to donate to specific projects.

What is the exact title of your project so the money goes to the fishing element if we don't have spare gear but want to donate a bit of cash???...Do you know if it is tax deductable (doesn't mean that I wouldn't donate...just wondering :) )

Feral
19-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Glad to Help out Mal,
Small world, you living across the road from my old house!

malby
19-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi Chas and Clarry,

We are simply called the connect program and the one with fishing now attached is the one on the Northside so just mark it Connect Program - Northside and mention something about reading about it on Ausfish and that you'd like it to go towards the Connect Program that includes fishing unless you are happy to donate to the overall program which I would recommend as its excellent and I will be going with the Southside crew sometimes to help them introduce fishing.

Roy Divine who is the guy who dreamed up and runs the southside program is a top bloke and is 'keen as' for it to include fishing now as he's seen how much the boys have been getting out of it. In fact he was keen for it all along. Just didn't have a staff member with the passion or know-how.

As for tax deduct-ability the answer is a definite yes. Just ask for a receipt etc when you send your cheque or call them on the number listed on the web and they'll sort things out for you.

Just a thought: if you'd like the money to go towards 'fishing gear' be sure and say so.

Thanks so much Chas and Clarry. There are things that we will need that are unlikely to be donated so cash would be a great help.

Much appreciated,;D

Mal

captain rednut
19-03-2012, 07:45 PM
hi Mal
im at burpengary and will donate tackle/knives/hats/softplastics (all new) and what ever else i have in my goodies cupboard.
my contact number is 0418748023 we are a local marine business who currently support the arathusa college which i believe is a similar program to your company which is very rewarding.
regards Jim

malby
19-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Jim,

Wow that sounds amazing mate!

Yes, Arathusa is also dealing with boys caught in a tough spot and I am friends with some of the blokes that work there and they do a top job!

Our program is similar but more outward bound and focused on time out of school, early intervention and prevention. Hopefully we help them think about how they can modify their values and behavior before they end up 'on the streets' or in deep trouble.

Arathusa helps the boys even when there is nowhere else for them, school wise and otherwise.

When I learn the name of your business I'll be sure to give it/you a big rap Jim.

All the best,

Mal

Slider
30-07-2015, 06:40 AM
I think Mal still visits Ausfish every now and then Greg, but might be worth pinging a pm in case he misses these threads. I lost his phone no..... and the phone it was in ... in Karratha and can't find his email add.