PDA

View Full Version : Moolooaba Bar 16th March...low tide

gruntahunta
16-03-2012, 03:50 PM
78075780747807378076Was up at Mooloolaba today and took a couple of pics of the Bar....Bloody hell it was rough.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

Marlin_Mike
16-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Are my eyes going bad? Or is that water really really dirty?

gruntahunta
16-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Yes Mike was filthy from the dredging I suspect...the entire harbour was like that..... the deeper water was fine but the big breakers just kept rolling in....I see there is a red marker now about 50-75 metre out from the mouth.

By the way thats a surfer near the red bouy in one of the shots.... says all about the bar now that surfers are surfing waves across it.

fishfeeder
16-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I might be totally wrong, seeing I have only been out of there once...
But isn't the channel to the left of that red buoy.

gruntahunta
16-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I might be totally wrong, seeing I have only been out of there once...
But isn't the channel to the left of that red buoy.

It is now, but before it silted up you could go str8 out with no breakers at all...now there is a sand bank in the middle of the old channel with more sand trying to close it all together.

The rock wall i took the photos from is the western wall or the one closest to the Beach, so you have to turn left once you come out from the the 2 rock walls.

Drew70
16-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Went out today in the Sharkcat about lunchtime. Its not for the faint hearted with four foot sets breaking across the entrance. There is deep water however in close to the western rockwall with the outer edge channel marked by red floating beacon. Once your round the corner of the wall you need to run into the bay a bit to get turned around to head out otherwise your side on the the breaking sets.

randell
16-03-2012, 07:03 PM
The dirty water was caused by all the rain we have been having................... I fish estuary...
You can give Coastguard a call for info on the bar if you are worried..

randell

Lucky_Phill
16-03-2012, 07:13 PM
That is just about the worst I have ever seen it.

Which is really strange as I have fished out of there for nearly 30 years.

Wonder why it has become so bad in recent years ??????

Last time it was like that ( longest time ago ) that I remember was about 5 - 6 years ago and I think they actually had 2 red bouys to go round. ?? But before then, it was always considered the safest and best bar to cross in SEQ, if not Qld.

I wouldn't mind an ariel shot taken about the last 1/2 hour of a big runout tide..............

Cheers LP

outwide1
17-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Id have to agree with it being the safest bar in Queensland Phil,you never had to worry about it in the middle of the night.
I had seen it with some good waves breaking from the east to the west a couple of times when there was a good swell running.
But like you i am interested in what has caused this.
Mick

bustastu
17-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Its a lawsuit in the making. No warning signs apart from one red buoy. Half the time the dredge is working out from the mouth which makes it nearly impossible to turn left to make it on the inside of the buoy instead directing you straight into the sandbar. Surely for all we pay for, the council can do more than this or will it take a death or serious injury for them to pull their fingers out!

ZigZag
17-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi Outwide1..have you seen the surveys showing the extent of the new sandbar at the mouth of the river ? If not here it is ....www.msq.qld.au/Notices-to-Mariners/Ntm-Brisbane-2012.aspr
And click on the Notice No 240 T of 2012.
A million dollars so in dredging charges and still no closer to an answer.

ZigZag
17-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Oh woe is me .... The system didn't like that link so here it is again....

www.msq.qld.gov.au/Notices-to-Mariners/Ntm-Brisbane-2012.aspr

If this doesn't work then I'm sure you can find the notice to mariners on the msq web page.

stinky-stabi
17-03-2012, 02:54 PM
first time i would say that its safer going out through caloundra bar, i came in at 10 pm bout three weeks ago it was wild to say the least was over 2m of swell running was just like coming through a beach break

nigelr
17-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Has there been an accelerated amount of land clearing within the catchment of late, or has more than average rainfall displaced silt which normally sits within the estuary to outside the river?
Or have both events occured concurrently?

Smithy
18-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I honestly think it is from when they dredged the sand from under the swing moorings near the MSQ yard a few years ago and then put it on the beach at the basin to form a nice little swimming beach. All of that sand is now on the march to the mouth. You can see a new beach has formed all along the inside of the eastern breakwall. From here as it keeps marching out the mouth it hits some heavy weather and that forms that bank across the mouth. Someone should have had their arse kicked with that decision. It has been a multi million dollar mistake to put the sand there. Halls the dredge contractor must be loving it. Every time we get heavy weather after they have just finished dredging it, it builds right back up again.

Why'd ya cut the flybridge off the cat Drew?

Dignity
18-03-2012, 07:35 AM
That is just about the worst I have ever seen it.

Which is really strange as I have fished out of there for nearly 30 years.

Wonder why it has become so bad in recent years ??????

Last time it was like that ( longest time ago ) that I remember was about 5 - 6 years ago and I think they actually had 2 red bouys to go round. ?? But before then, it was always considered the safest and best bar to cross in SEQ, if not Qld.

I wouldn't mind an ariel shot taken about the last 1/2 hour of a big runout tide..............

Cheers LP

LP - we haven't had a cyclone down the coast since the early 90's, these usually move a significant amount of sand around and change the shape of bars, at Caloundra the entrance to the old blue hole is fully closed now and the tip of Bribie which was rather pointed a couple of years ago is now a huge blob abd getting larger and as Stinky-stabi says this bar is starting to look better than Mooloolaba at the moment.

On this note does any one know of a site where you can get daily aerial shots of the bar like the one for Noosa Bar.

gruntahunta
19-03-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.abovephotography.com.au//Aerial-Photos/Queensland/Sunshine-Coast//Mooloolaba-990144-Photo.jpg

2007.....looks nothing like this now...lol