PDA

View Full Version : Old seafarer Viking and Vermont

Noelm
16-03-2012, 08:28 AM
A couple of days ago there was a thread that started about Vikings (the older models) and there was a bit of talk about the models in the 5.2 (17') range, that shared the same hull, I did some rummaging around and home, made a few phone calls and it is all clear now, there was the Viking that looked like an old VC with the swept up deck, then the Vermont that was a runablout version, I thought there was a cabin model as well, (and there sort of was) but it was a Vermont with a hard top and sliding windows in the sides, the original Viking and Vermont had a hull weight of 1050LBS, (Viking 900LBS) length of 17'2" and a beam of 84", the Vermont was available with outboard, sterndrive or a jet drive, never seen a jet drive one ever myself. I will see if I can get the old brochures in some sort of form that I can post.

onerabbit
16-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for that great info Noelm,
I love my old Vermont,
would be great to see some pics of the other models that were made the same.

Muzz

Noelm
16-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I have some PFD's of the original brochures, if I can find a way to convert them to images, I will post them, I could email the PDF to you if you PM your email address, I have the Viking, the Vermont, the Vermont with the hard top and the Voyager that was 23'. Just on a side note, there was an old Vermont just around from my place, sitting in long grass in an industrial estate, it has been there for maybe 10 years, i might have a look on my way home and see if it is still there, it is white with purple trim.

onerabbit
16-03-2012, 02:01 PM
OK, the only other one that was exactely the same as mine was purple & white,
mine was originally green & white before it was resprayed, (before my time with her ).

What a sad end for such a legend of a boat, I have had mine in almost every ocean condition,
including getting caught out in huge 4-5 mtr swell on the shelf
& she has behaved admirably every time.

Muzz

Noelm
16-03-2012, 02:16 PM
almost all the Vermonts I have ever seen were purple and white, mind you there is/was not too many of them down here, heaps of Vikings though, my uncle did own a full yellow Vermont, looked pretty awfull really, the basic hull was a well behaved design for sure, I had a friend with a Viking with a 175 on it that pro fished out of it for years, pushing shark nets around and loads of weight in it, and to this day the boat is still OK, but it has been repowered with a 115HP about 15 years or more ago.

onerabbit
16-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Mine is a legend,

more than 400 days out of Ballina over the last 10-11 years,
had to have the timbers replaced with marine ply a few years back,
but it just made a great boat even better,
the weight down low just made it ride even better than it did before.

If i won lotto...........I dont think that I could replace her,

so many hours & miles togeather, maybe a motor that was cheaper to run,
but if I won lotto........I wouldn't care.....

I love my old girl just like she is.

Muzz

no bananas
16-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Don't forget the 5.2 Ventura,this is the 1/2cab version.

A pisser of a boat,and yes i do own one(1970 mod.with a 2007 tohatsu 115 tldi)and i'm very happy with it.

Cheers,
Bruce