PDA

View Full Version : What have you caught in your pots

Dignity
14-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I realised after reading about what bait to use in your pot etc I have wondered what people have caught in their pots other than crabs. I have gotten flathead, one so big I don't know how it got in as it was a U shape in the pot and took up most of the room, a bull shark in a similar position, big bream and a grunter. What else.

The Woo
14-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Blue ringed Octopussy, many, many Stonefish, and even more Estuary Cod, some real monsters too. Occasional Bream are too slow getting out as I lift the pot, that's a fauirly common occurence :)

Linedropper
14-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Eels, bream, squire, jellyfish, heaps of tiny leatherjackets and of course mud crabs and sand crabs. Nothing apart from the crabs worth keeping.

Flathead would be good. Need to try some new spots where they hangout I reckon

BLOOEY
14-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Some huge wobbeygongs. I think they may actually eat the sandys when there in there. Ben

Horse
14-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I once had two Wobbeygongs in a pot. I could not lift it out of the water

hakuna
15-03-2012, 07:19 AM
I was in the logan and had my float to the pot swimming past me, after some time pulled up a 5ft shark with its head stuck in the pot.
Flake was on the menu.

merseybluenose
15-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Caught my pb bream....45cm:( up at tin can bay

charleville
15-03-2012, 07:29 AM
I have also had a couple of heavy wobbiegongs in the cheaper pots with a full width entry.

Pick the wrong spot near the Sandhills and you will also get more starfish than you can imagine. They cling to the pots and can take a fair while to remove because of the numbers of them.

Drifty75
15-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I remember as a kid we had put a couple of pots up a shallow creek. (dry at low tide) Came back as soon as we could get in there and here was this long necked bird in the pot with its head poking out the top gasping it's last breath as the tide came in. Lucky for it as if we were 10 mins later it would have drowned. I'll never forget that.

justjack
15-03-2012, 07:51 AM
ive caught crows, water rats, sharks of many species, snapper, sweeties, tonnes of starfish, alot of massive mantis shrimps, catfish, shovelnose, alot of stonefish, turtles, alot of cod aswell as thieves

pipifin
15-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Two pots, three hammerheads on the Hawksbury

sandbankmagnet
15-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I've caught a 55cm flatty and a big buck muddie in one pull of one of the old rectangular pots. They were down opposite ends and having a good look at each other. Some time the fun is what's on the outside of the pot when you pull it up. Like two leagal bucks one time I flicked into my 12 foot tinny and had to hunt both down that decided to go different ways.

robsue
15-03-2012, 09:35 PM
biggest was 26" flathead with 3 legal bucks years ago at inlet near pioneer cement hemmant, dont even know iof pioneer concrete are still there

ben_460
16-03-2012, 05:13 PM
big sea snake, so sent the pot back down, didn't feel like dealing with it.... lucky it was gone when i returned.

Floating Rib
16-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I know you said other than crabs but this one was unusual, pulled one of our pots on the adelaide river and in it were several crabs including one that was already tied, my brother said 'thats convenient', obviously escaped from someone and was still hungry.

Axl
17-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Bugger all!!!!!!!(Today anyway)

googarra
17-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Not me, but seen it and did have the photo but lost it.

About a 2 metre croc. He managed to just squeeze his head in and got a front foot caught in the mesh and drowned in it.

Mate pulled it up and said it felt like had a huge dead weight, he was right.

fishinwahbee
17-03-2012, 09:46 PM
eels, cod, bream and various baitfish

Dignity
18-03-2012, 06:42 AM
I know you said other than crabs but this one was unusual, pulled one of our pots on the adelaide river and in it were several crabs including one that was already tied, my brother said 'thats convenient', obviously escaped from someone and was still hungry.
We had a similar experience in the Robinson River, NT a few years back where a pot had 4 crabs one of which was tied up but he was still full so only just recently escaped. One wonders how long they can live before they starve to death in this condition.

Dignity
18-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Not me, but seen it and did have the photo but lost it.

About a 2 metre croc. He managed to just squeeze his head in and got a front foot caught in the mesh and drowned in it.

Mate pulled it up and said it felt like had a huge dead weight, he was right.
What colour was his pants after he realised what he had.

Dan5
18-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Pulled up crocs,bull sharks.Queensland groper,starfish,flathead,bream,sea snake,eel's,.........the most unfortunate thing i found in a pot was a Brahmany Kite......poor bugger go in at low tide and could'nt get back out.........a fella up here was crabbing at buff creek and caught a crab with "ERIC" engraved in the shell last year.

Dan