PDA

View Full Version : outboard plate

gazza2006au
14-03-2012, 03:33 PM
hey guys replacing the engine on my boat once removed i noticed the old plywood sheet between my engine and transom is shagged just wondering if i could use a plastic chopping board used normally for food?

Chimo
14-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I have two very high density ones that I got from the original Seafarer factory. I suspect you would have to choose carefully and only get similar very high density ones suited to the task. I used a standard one on another boat years ago and it did split.

Can you get one for a boat builder / builder that suited to the task, nothing worse than having one split and having to remount the motor.

Cheers
Chimo

BM
14-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Nylon chopping board is fine mate. Pretty commonly used these days by manufacturers.

gazza2006au
14-03-2012, 08:28 PM
thanks guys i will go ahead and use the chopping board

EdBerg
15-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi, Guys, I am not sure about chopping board for that use. I cut one in half once and the center wasn't solid, it was full of plastic bubbles, it I had put any pressure on it, it would have collapsed to a third of it size, probably to keep the cost down during manufacture. You should be able to pick up a small piece of solid sheet from a plastic fabricator, find them in the yellow pages.

Cheers

Ed.

Noelm
15-03-2012, 02:20 PM
almost any plastics supplier will either sell you an off cut, or cut a piece for you, it will not be that dear, and it will be the right stuff, or, you could just buy a small piece of marine ply as well, either will work OK.