PDA

View Full Version : Seaswirl striper 2601 owners.

outwide1
13-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I was hoping for a bit of info regarding the Seaswirl Striper 2601 from owners of this vessel.
I would like to know your thoughts on how they handle a following sea,or head sea.
There stability at rest,towing weight(on a ally trailer)
And a general unbias opinion on the boat.
The one i am currently looking at has a 250 yamaha 4 stroke.One of the appealing features is the 600ltr of fuel it carries.
Thanks in advance for your insight from an owners point of view.
Cheers Mick.

outwide1
14-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Gee they must be good,know one owns one.lol

Muddy Toes
14-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey Mick I take it you've had a look at thehulltruth mate or even the Stripers owners forum.I dare say someone on this planet has bought one.

clevelandv8
15-03-2012, 12:49 AM
they are on my list.... have read up a bit and look a good rig, just too many choices!

FisHard
15-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I haven't been on one, but had a good gander at one at Airlie Beach. It was being water tested for sale. Looked fantastic and very nicely finished. In fact, the guy on the jetty next to us, commented " that would have to be worth $500k!" :)
My only negative observation was the cockpit was on the small side for a 26 footer. Heaps of storage though, to keep the decks clear.
I've spent a bit of time sussing out the US market and the 25-28' range represents great value! These 2601s, a few years old, are cheap as chips :) Good luck with it!

Moonlighter
15-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Whilst not the 2601, I regularly (at least monthly) fish from a mates 2301, and I can only imagine that the 2601 is much the same just 1 meter bigger.

The 2301 is a fantastic boat, and to answer your questions:

It handles all seas, head seas following etc, with ease. I have been out in some seriously bad seas and we have never found that the hull does anything unexpected, weird or dangerous, quite the contrary, it handles everything with aplomb. I've been on a number of the top tier (Haines, Cruisecraft, Saefarer) Australian built boats of the same or similar size and all I can say is that from a sea handling point of view, they are not in the same class as the Seaswswirl. They all could learn a lot from the finish and fit out of these boats as well.

Given the 2601 is bigger by a meter, it could only be better again.

It is a stable fishing platform, live bait tank is huge, fuel tank is huge, and even tall people can stand upright inside the forward cabin. Can sleep 2 people in there with ease.

Great boats, well built.

The only comment I'd mak e is about horsepower. My mates 2301 was originally fitted with a 250 Yammy HPDI and it went really well with that horsepower, but you wouldn't have wanted much less. He subsequently re powered with a 300 Zuke and she now rely gets up and boogies!

So I would think that 250 on the 2601 would be at the lower end of the hp range for the bigger boat.

My mates 2301 goes just over 3000 kg on it's dual axle ally trailer.

Cheers

ML

rodlox
15-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Have been in (once) and been out with (many times) a 2601 fitted with a sterndrive and it handles very well and as mentioned above its fit out is excellent too. I'd guess towing weight would be around 4 tonnes loaded.
Not sure if you are looking at new or used, here or overseas, but we have a 2005 Robalo r235 for sale (25ft, 500 litres of fuel, fitout and fittings better than the seaswirl), let me know if your interested in any further information.7805478053
Rod

outwide1
15-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your replys,i was starting to think no one owned one.
I currently own a 625 Cruisecraft which i have been really happy with,but to look at what the U.S can build and squeeze
into these boatsfor the price is impressive to say the least.
My wife has an American guy over here working at the moment and is overwhelmed with the cost of living here in Australia,hence the cost of our boats and what we don't get in them compared to the USA.
I am abit worried about the towing weight though,the salesman said it only weighed 3ton.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO GUYS.
MICK

rodlox
15-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd be suprissed if it wasn't closer to 3.5t or more with fuel etc

Moffy
15-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Have only seen one on the trailer and it is one big mother of a trailer boat. Guy I know bought it originally with twin 150 Yammies - but put new 140 suzis on it (the yammies got wet........not the boat's fault....) I would have thought that a single 250 would be at the lower end of what you'd want on them given their size/weight.

Moffy

PinHead
15-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I have owned the baby brother..the 1851WA..would I buy another Stiper? Anytime. the boat handled well..well built..great value for money.

The 2601 has a hull weight of just over 2000kg.

Moonlighter
15-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes, that 2000 would be bare hull, no motor fuel or water, let alone gear. I agree with earlier post that a 2601 in working condition ready to go fishing would be easily 3500 kg. I'm not sure if they are wider than the 2301, but if they are you could be getting into A"flags" territory when towing. The 2301 qualifies for the special permit as it's only marginally over the allowable width.

Why not look at a 2301 instead, it would still be a quantum leap ahead in ride etc to the OPs cruise craft 625, although the fishing deck space would be no bigger, but the cabin is heaps bigger and more comfortable.

Cheers

ML