PDA

View Full Version : Seafarer victory common faults

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Are the seafarer victory in the same boat as the Viking ? Dodgy transome/floors. ??? Any common faults with these boats ?

outta line
13-03-2012, 10:08 PM
what year are you looking at?...... older viking 5.2m..... new viking is 5.5m..........the older victory is 5.9m...... and from 98/99 the victory is a 6m......
4 different hulls............mick

nowornever1972
14-03-2012, 06:36 AM
what year are you looking at?...... older viking 5.2m..... new viking is 5.5m..........the older victory is 5.9m...... and from 98/99 the victory is a 6m......
4 different hulls............mick I'm interested to know about the victory. Old and new. I had a 5.2 viking and they have issues

murf
14-03-2012, 07:22 AM
http://www.myboatingshop.com/My-Search-Results?query=victory&page=1

a little bit of info here

cheers Murf

ozscott
14-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm interested to know about the victory. Old and new. I had a 5.2 viking and they have issues

Mate all older glass boats can and usually do have rot problems usually caused by attaching fittings to the transom and not seeling them properly. The seafarers usually had plenty of glass though. To give you an idea my vag's transom was completely rotted out but there was so much glass on the inner and outer walls and from the sides around it was solid glass - no wood sandwich - for over a foot meant no flex at all. The stringers and floor on mine were like new. I had an old V163 Haines hunter. It's floor was thin 8mm or so glassed on top but not underneath. It was always going to go soft and did

The seafarers are not prone to faults in particular and are better in terms of build than a lot of other makes

Cheers

Fed
14-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I had a 5.2 viking and they have issues It sounds like you have had a rough time with one mate but really I think rot problems are caused by bad fit ups rather than the hull manufacturers.

Edit: OZ said it all while I was out having a cuppa.

johncar
14-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah I agree, I don't think you can blame the boat Make for that problem as it's mostly caused by owner treatment and how it is cared for. I have owned a Victory 6.0 and loved it, no issues and I have also spent many hours in mates Vikings also great boats and no issues.
When buying any boat one needs to check if the boat has spent it's life out in the weather and be checking all prone areas for evidence of rot. I just won't buy any boat that hasn't lived in a shed full stop, just too many issues caused by long term exposure to the elements.

outta line
14-03-2012, 05:36 PM
can only comment on the 2000 onwards hulls and arnt really old enough to have problems so dont know if this feed back will help any.
I had a 2001 5.5 vouge cc which is based on the viking hull with a 130 yam 2stroke sold it with 450hrs on it .The only signs of movement on the transom were a few small gell coat cracks the with of your hair .

I have a 2005 6m victory with a 200 4 stroke (260 kg) which is almost max weight for the transom at 270 kg. Its got 490 hrs on it and there is one hair line crack in the gell coat on each side. both boats had factory fitted options only with no holes drilled afterwards so that was a bonus . like others have said poor fit up would count for a lot of problems . I chose an older victory over a new one as i wanted a fry built boat knowing it would be built strong and last and he would of done all the QC along the build line.

Seafarers do dip there nose in different sea conditions both my 5.5m and 6m and i have been in a 5m vc they have all done it.
mick

nowornever1972
14-03-2012, 05:52 PM
can only comment on the 2000 onwards hulls and arnt really old enough to have problems so dont know if this feed back will help any.
I had a 2001 5.5 vouge cc which is based on the viking hull with a 130 yam 2stroke sold it with 450hrs on it .The only signs of movement on the transom were a few small gell coat cracks the with of your hair .

I have a 2005 6m victory with a 200 4 stroke (260 kg) which is almost max weight for the transom at 270 kg. Its got 490 hrs on it and there is one hair line crack in the gell coat on each side. both boats had factory fitted options only with no holes drilled afterwards so that was a bonus . like others have said poor fit up would count for a lot of problems . I chose an older victory over a new one as i wanted a fry built boat knowing it would be built strong and last and he would of done all the QC along the build line.

Seafarers do dip there nose in different sea conditions both my 5.5m and 6m and i have been in a 5m vc they have all done it.
mickThanks for the input it's appreciated, based on my budget it will be the 5.9 model. 95 model there abouts. Just very warey after bad experience. I was told the Vikings come out with a pine transom that was well knowen to have issues. Of the victory isn't from factory doesn't have these issues. I will into we're the boat was stored and fittings etc. places for water to get in.

Chimo
14-03-2012, 07:21 PM
NWN

Talk to Jabba, (PM) he has a Vermont which has the same (ish) 5.9 m hull as the old Victory. If I got it right he was considering selling at one stage. He really knows what Seafarers can and cannot do too.............

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
15-03-2012, 09:17 PM
No common faults in the Seafarer hull.. You do get some gell coat hair line cracks at the transom, it is however only cosmetic.. There transoms are built FKN strong.. I know for a fact, as I landed outboard first on sandbank at Jumping pin and only cracked the splash well. Most other hulls would off had their transom ripped off.. Getting it repaired right is another story, but lets say there are bigger sharks on the land then there are in the ocean....

Rott is not really a issue unless the hull has been mistreated, unsealed holes, left out side with no ventilating covers or no covers at all.. Obviously always try and find a well looked after hull, that way you wont have a rott issue. But Not rott has never been a isse in the later models, 5.9 Victory included.

The Seafarer can dip their nose when in a following sea when the operater does not trim the boat to suit, but that is due to having a fine entry at the Bow.. It is easerly corrected by just trimming the motor out to raise the nose, not hard to do and when trimmed correctly, you will not dip the nose at all.
I love bring my boat in through Tweed and southport Seaway when the tide is running out and the swell standing up, play time.. The 5.9 Seafarer is the better hull for these conditions as you can get the hull to surf the waves. Not something I recomend you go and try, but once you have the experiance it becomes very easy and fun to do. The hull does not broach, period, and the crazy shit I have done I would off rolled it by now if hull did have a tendancy to boach...

Yeah I have been considering selling my Vermont, so I can buy a Victory.. Thing is I love it so much, it looks great, goes great and I dont owe a cent on it. So I'll own it for a few more years yet..

outta line
15-03-2012, 09:49 PM
The Seafarer can dip their nose when in a following sea when the operater does not trim the boat to suit, but that is due to having a fine entry at the Bow.. It is easerly corrected by just trimming the motor out to raise the nose, not hard to do and when trimmed correctly, you will not dip the nose at all.

jabba they will still dip the nose in rough conditions off shore evan when trimmed

blue_rogue
15-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a Victory NWN and love it to bits. Been in plenty of glass and plate hulls and you won't find a smoother drier hull then the Victory. I have a 225 Honda (275kgs) so pushing the limits a little but the hull loves the power. It's a 2005 hull and never had a problem.

Noelm
16-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Not too may Seafarer models do not "dip the nose" but that does not make them bad, and indeed, the early Viking was a "cheaply" constructed boat, there is plenty of them with transom and floor replacements, and not only through bad fittings or rough owners, but a lot could be attributed to that.

onerabbit
16-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm a die-hard Vermont owner, I have had her through some pretty tough stuff,

but I think that if you "dipped the nose" hard enough,
she would go end over end same as the rest would.

Just my opinion.

Muzz