PDA

View Full Version : Boat Tool Kit

Goochi
13-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Just wondering what people who fish off shore carry as a toolkit, and why?
I don't carry much; fuses, cable ties, duct tape, few screwdrivers, shifter, hose clamps and pliers.

Muddy Toes
13-03-2012, 08:48 PM
When I had my Mercury I used to carry a spare prop, fuses, cable ties, fuel filter, hose, hose clamps, spanners, pliers, vice grips, filter removing tool, screwdrivers, test light, multimeter, shifter, electrical tape, the service manual and a heap of other small but handy items.

And then I bought a Yamaha.......I don't carry a tool kit anymore.

Spaniard_King
13-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Best thing you can have in the tool kit is a coast guard or VMR membership.

Also proper maintenance is a must.

Odds are you wont have whats required to fix the problem at hand anyway

FishHunter
13-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Fuses, duct tape, cable ties, spare fuel bulb and hose a Vice grip, Leatherman, vmw membership and this.
Got myself out the crap allready with it.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/razzo/Australia/Reef%20Ranger/IMG_0014.jpg

preso
13-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I think the guys are right. Engines are complicated now, I have a 115 suzuki 4st and no idea about it really. Best tool you can have is good communication.
Cheers Preso.

Noelm
14-03-2012, 01:34 PM
biggest problem is, by the time you want/need the tool kit, it is just a pile of rusted shit, the shifter is now a solid open ender, the pliers are shot, the screw drivers have no tips left on them, I carry nothing except anything that might be left in the boat from some sort of mucking around in the driveway.

FishHunter
14-03-2012, 09:16 PM
I find a coating of lanolin works very well to stop the rust. I give them a spray of neat lanolin, let it dry and then wipe the excesss off.

mal555
15-03-2012, 08:22 AM
It's not just your engine that fails to function properly, steering, battery terminals, fixed lighting, water pumps and hose clamps, canopy fastenings, window framing, internal furniture fastenings, things just work loose through constant flexing......and then there's your mate's boat!

I like to fix things straight away, if I can, 'cause I forget when I get home :-)

marto78
15-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I only realy carry spare fuses, duct tape and zip ties in my tool kit. Although there is usally a flat bladed screw driver for baiting crab pots, a pair of wire cutters for getting the baits out of crab pots and a pair of pliers for getting hooks out of fish/people.

I have found you can fix most things with duct tape, zip ties and a pair of pliers, telecom rope is also a handy thing for tying things up (like T-tops) until you get back to shore. If it can't be temporarily fixed with these things it's more than likely going to be a bigger job then most boat tool kits can handle anyways.

deckie
15-03-2012, 03:49 PM
The usual...plus a cheapo multimeter, a roll of that self amagamating weld tape as well as duct tape.

tunaticer
15-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I carry a set of screwdivers, pliers, plug socket, shifter, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17 ring/open end spanners, spare fuses and hose clamps, all rolled in a lightly oiled rag and kept in a dry box. I also carry two fuel line joiners and half a metre of fuel line and a new fuel bulb, spare spark plugs and a spare new impellor with drive key. Electrical tape, amalgamating tape and light bulbs are also in that box with a few new aa, aaa and d cell batteries. Some of the time it is not what you can fix on the water, it is how you can bypass something to limp home safely.

googarra
15-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Used to carry a good of assortment of tools, mostly el cheepo's, but when getting them out, always found them to be a rusted useless mess that had to be replaced. Sprayed a few times but they still rust.

I always carry a spare prop, prop nut and washers, and a tool to remove with a long string tied to it so I dont drop it in the drink while riding the pony out on the motor. On a pod and a long way out when the motor is up. Had to change a prop once 30kms out, that was a real challenge and dropped a socket in the drink.

Basic open enders and a screwdriver set is all I carry now, with spare fuses.

Love to have VMR contact as a backup, but up here, you are on your own once mobile coverage drops out.