PDA

View Full Version : 10mm aluminium plate -where?

mikeyh
13-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Hello all,
after the good advice from fellow Ausfishers regarding my motor height, I am after a small piece (around 470mm x 370mm x 10mm) aluminium plate to shim out my 150 Opti so it clears the metal transom strip. I have been to 2 aluminium places (Ullrich, Capral) here in Townsville and they will only sell me a sheet 2400mm x 1200mm. Apparantly no one will cut whole sheets. Any thoughts?

cheers, Mike

Tinshack
13-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi Mike, best to pack out with HDPE sheet product, i.e cutting board material. Excellent compression properties and corrosion resistant. Cheers Dave.

Axl
13-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Mike, best to pack out with HDPE sheet product, i.e cutting board material. Excellent compression properties and corrosion resistant. Cheers Dave.

Exactly!! well said Tinshack HDPE is as good if not better (probably better) due to disimilar alloys making contact.

Dan5
13-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Mate can you just use flatbar?...........just say some 75mmx10mm?.........Also you can buy aluminium engine wedge's which will 'pack' out your engine and give you approx 10mm at the thinest section.

Dan

EdBerg
13-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi, I would try an aluminium fabricator/welding factory/ally boat builder rather than a metal supplier as they will have off cuts, the suppliers usually don't do part sheets.

I usually get all my bits from a metal scrap metal recycler.

Cheers

Ed.

mikeyh
14-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all,
Hey Tinshack Dave...where do you get the HDPE material?
Dan..I was worried that flatbar wouldnt provide a large enough support base...but I am noooooooo expert
Ed - if I go with the alloy, a great suggestion.

cheers to all

Tinshack
14-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Consolidated Plastics in Mackay, they will send anywhere in oz overnight.

Contact details as follows;

http://www.consolidated-plastics.com.au/contact.php

You may find a dealer in Townsville, they will tell you if you give them a call.

Cheers, Dave.