PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers

buhfee
13-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey guys! I live in Bathurst and my local dam is Ben Chifley! I have lived here for 5years now and have still never caught anything there! People I have spoke to have said that a downrigger for my boat is the problem. Do you guys think that it is worth spending $200 on a downrigger or will it not improve my results that much?

TREVELLY
13-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Why not experiment with something home made and agricultural until you are satisfied it will benefit you?

As for me I have a manual one and an electric for offshore fishing.

If you have a sounder constantly showing fish at a depth where trolling with a downrigger will get you into the strike zone - then there is your answer.

killitfillit
13-03-2012, 09:23 PM
When in rome do what the romans do.
If the locals are using them and getting results and you aren't get one!

Charlie
14-03-2012, 12:52 AM
With trout being a minority species these day I would say a downrigger would be a waste of time and money. Redfin are a schooling fish you need to move around to find the fish then drop a jig or soft plastic down to them. For native fish you only need to get down three to four meter and a deep diving minnow lure trolled along the edge of the weed beds will do the job.

buhfee
14-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Ok thanks very much guys. I have just bought a sounder/gps so hopefully it will find me some good schools and i might be able to get something hooked! If that doesnt work then I will just need to try something else :)