PDA

View Full Version : STACER 619 OCEAN RUNNER - Any good??

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Been looking at this boat, wondering if anyone knows anything about it? If I am going to spend this much money I dont want to buy a lemon..........

Looking for problems with cracks and or performance in the oceon. I originally thought these were Stessl??

Blackened
13-03-2012, 05:09 PM
G'day

Not the best choice imho........ Stacer is a sister brand of Quintrex under the Telwater umbrella.

Dave

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 05:52 PM
G'day

Not the best choice imho........ Stacer is a sister brand of Quintrex under the Telwater umbrella.

DaveExplain??? Why is it not a good choice, what problems do these boat have?

seastorm
13-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Where do you intend to use it?

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Where do you intend to use it? Offshore Brisbane North Coast, I also want to do trips up north out to the Swains, Offshore Airlie Beach.

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 06:24 PM
40,000 is all I have to spend, I can handle a motor going on me...........gives me an excuse to get a new 175 Suzuki Four Stroke but I cant handle buying a lemon boat.........Ive done it once never again...........input is appreciated.

seastorm
13-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Not to sound rude but have you done much offshore fishing/boating before and if so in what type of boat? I have never owned a pressed hull offshore boat before but am led to believe that they ride like shit due to there weight or lack of. Most plate aluminium boats will have a 5mm bottom which puts a bit of weight into the boat which equal to a smoother ride and hence a fiberglass boat will ride better than a plate boat. Anyway thats my two cents worth

nowornever1972
13-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Not to sound rude but have you done much offshore fishing/boating before and if so in what type of boat? I have never owned a pressed hull offshore boat before but am led to believe that they ride like shit due to there weight or lack of. Most plate aluminium boats will have a 5mm bottom which puts a bit of weight into the boat which equal to a smoother ride and hence a fiberglass boat will ride better than a plate boat. Anyway thats my two cents worthI used to Decky on the boats, I used to work for Ron Jeyns *Salley Jeyns* farther.... I used to decky with David Palermo, John Palermos son.... Most of my family are boat builders, but they are large Fibroglass Game Boats, most but not all of my experience are in either large 40 + feet boats........i had a Sea Farer 17 ft viking.........I have fished allot in a the Cruise Craft Explorer but didnt think much of them............ I have fished in a few plate boats not bad...........but yeah I admit dont know much about this style of boat........thats why I am asking for opions.

Greg P
13-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Keep looking mate. Has to be better buys out there on an old V19 Haines or something. That thing will pound you and itself to death offshore.

Floating Rib
13-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Maybe Fishing and Boating mag has done a review at some stage? failing that maybe google the model for anything on the web. Its easy to say a plate boat will ride better etc but also will cost more, be heavier to tow and need more power/fuel to run so i guess these things all are worth considering when on a budget. I guess unless someone jumps up and screams that they are crap and the net provides no negative info then its probably worth investigating further.
good luck with it. If you provided age, engine size and cost some of the guys here might be able to give a more informed opinion.
Cheers
rib

Blackened
13-03-2012, 08:44 PM
G'day

Pretty much what the other guys have said.

With your past experiance you'd know about hull shapes for one, and generally speaking as you mentioned ocean performance, then a pressed tinny (a glorified one at that) isn't the best choice.

If 40k is your budget I know of a very very good 18' sharkcat with late model DI engines and great electronics that is all ready to go for around that price. PM for details if you wish

Dave

Rodpal
14-03-2012, 04:23 PM
hey nowornever

from what i've seen the stacer are a little better build quallity to the quintrex but thats about as far as it goes

if she gets you on the water in your budget than its worthwhile, but as far as doin the swains .. mmmm.. man .. others would be best to advise you on that one

since moving up this way i visit stephan's reef off mackay (approx 70nm each way) + a bit of a boop around and a trawl here and there cost me bout 220L out of a 300L tank .. not much left in reserve and i'm not sure you'll pick up the last 20-30L anyway

if your dead set on goin serious offshore maybe ask the question on most suitable offshore boat (glass or plate) in your budget and yah .. plenty good secondhand options out there atm

sorry if i'm not much help man

all the best
Rod

Dantren
14-03-2012, 04:42 PM
hey nowornever,
There are much better offshore hulls around than this. Most 5m fibreglass rigs would outperform the 6m Stacer. I suggest you keep looking. Oh, and think carefully about buying an ally black boat. I had one once & it drove me nuts trying to keep it clean. I'm quite fussy though. IMO look for second hand haines' or seafarer. Enjoy the search.....
Dan.

fishfeeder
14-03-2012, 05:00 PM
you said if the motor goes you will replace it with a 175hp 4 stroke.. your looking at $20k so now your investment is up to $60k.. you can get a lot better offshore boat for the money you looking at spending !!!

I would keep looking and get a boat with the motor package you want straight up.. motor upgrades are not cheap...

Cheers

Goochi
14-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Gee, wish I had 40k to spend. I agree with most of what has already been said. If you are looking at going a fair way offshore then unless you love getting thrashed, get a hull that has a rep for a smoother ride eg. plate or glass with a nice V or a cat. If it was for me I'd be looking at 20-21ft(glass) with 175 4st or similar. Should have a good choice under $40k.

MyWay
14-03-2012, 10:38 PM
take it for test drive or find something similar shape and size and price than compare it
what ever is suitable for your needs and you can handle it ease
than I can only wish you good luck and happy boating

fishitalltheway
20-06-2015, 09:55 PM
I know this post is 3 years old, but thought I would add a comment for those who may be looking to buy one now in 2015. I had a 07 Ocean Runner and had problem after problem... The floor went and then the fuel tank went. Had a lot of problems with oxidation and even more issues with the front cabin taking a ton of water through all the joins.... Not an offshore boat - fine for the bay but don't buy one with the outlook of fishing offshore. Mine died and was traded in for a Bar Crusher.

Seahorse
21-06-2015, 11:08 AM
U seem to hear that a lot on those type of boats either stacer or quinny. Water leaking in cabin and corrosion.
I can remember looking at stacer half cab at boat show a few years ago and i think the gap in the hatch area, closed, was a good 5mm. It was terrible.
Mass produced and just dont care I guess.
i think if I was buying a new plate, i would get it made.
Number 1/ I know it would be more expensive
2/ At least it would be right
3/ what extra that u spent would prob still be there in resale, not like ur mass produced ones that look shit after a couple of years.
I had a stacer 489 runabout. Corrosion around all fitting was very ordinary.

cheers
greg