PDA

View Full Version : Let's get the Qld Jet Ski PFD law changed

Runlikehell
13-03-2012, 06:42 AM
I want to wear a PFD1 at the Banks fishing; not a PFD2 which is the law in Qld.

A PFD 2 has no head support, no reflective tags, and no whistle. PFD1 inflateable jackets have pockets into which a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) can be carried, which makes going offshore a whole lot safer in case you and the ski become separated. eg you hit something like a shipping container and the bloody thing sinks.

The PFD2 law in Qld was never designed for offshore cruising, fishing etc. It was designed for close inshore freestyling types who might fall off whilst wave jumping on a bar and be spotted from shore, or by their mates. In NSW if you go offshore on a ski you have to wear a PFD1.

If you agree with me then let's get the law changed in Qld. All it needs is a bit of public input and they'll push it up the list as its a safety issue. The email to send a request to is: info@msq.qld.gov.au I've already sent mine in.

pipifin
13-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I have wondered about the "logic" in the current law regarding offshore.
I believe the pfd1 is not allowed DUE to the neck support and the fact that it can cause more damage if coming off the ski at speed.
However, I agree that it would be much safer to be wearing the pfd1 while offshore..... even if the introduced a speed limit while wearing it.
The current law is a bit nonsensical.

The Woo
13-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Honestly, I prefer to wear a PFD2, and carry a PFD1.

I'm not one to campaign for laws. I'd rather see most of them abolished and allow Darwin's theory take care of the rest.

Runlikehell
13-03-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm the type of guy that if I think something needs changing I'll get in there and give it a crack

The Woo
13-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I maintain I prefer to wear a pfd2 for 10 hours at a stretch. If I have you to blame for making it compulsory in the future to wear a pfd1 offshore, then sorry, but thanks for nothing.

Jet skis don't sink like stones.... they seldom sink at all, even if holed. (I know from first hand experience just last January). So I say, be comfortable and wear a pfd2 all day, if the worst happens and you need to make the decision to abandon ship, don the PFD1 you carry, and activate the EPIRB at the same time.

That's my view. :)

marto78
13-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Would be a pretty pointless law IMO who is going to police it anyway? I have never seen a police boat out at the banks.

If you want to wear a PFD1 on your jetski then wear one, but why make everyone else?

Runlikehell
14-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't want to create a big issue over this, but to get to the Banks you need to leave from shore, and that's where we'd be pinged wearing a PFD1- eg leaving from Mooloolaba you'd be spotted and booked by DPI or Water Police.

Here's a photo of a yoke PFD1 which is what I'm talking about - not the bulky old pillow styles.

The Woo
14-03-2012, 11:04 AM
"Invalid Attachment specified"

Triple
14-03-2012, 11:27 AM
No more laws are required just a bit of common sense.
Why don't you put on some reflective tape and attach a whistle to your current PFD2?
As stated, you do not want the pfd1 style neck support in the event of coming off the ski at speed (you will be going fast to get offshore).
And plenty of pfd2 jackets now have a pocket for plb and reflective sections and whistle + other accessories etc. -

Your argument for yoke inflatable pfd1 is invalid compared to a standard PFD2 as not all pfd1 inflatables have "head support, reflective tags, whistle or pockets for plb" which is what your compared points are. What do you actually want that would be safer than a pfd2 with the tape/whistle/pocket?

Current QLD regs if anyone is interested -
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/d7f7a97e-f8ec-4e2a-882c-25f2a2d74aca/rec_safety_equipment.pdf (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/%7E/media/d7f7a97e-f8ec-4e2a-882c-25f2a2d74aca/rec_safety_equipment.pdf)

Runlikehell
14-03-2012, 02:23 PM
You guys are a tough crew and I'll let this one slide here. But check this out http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Personal-watercraft.aspx . Also all approved inflateable PFD1s must meet the Australian Standard and therefore have everything mentioned above.

ps.. At least this thread got our site's post count up!
pss. and it's all good fun

maxblack
14-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm not one to campaign for laws. I'd rather see most of them abolished and allow Darwin's theory take care of the rest.

Amen brother

spelchek
23-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Don't want to create a big issue over this, but to get to the Banks you need to leave from shore, and that's where we'd be pinged wearing a PFD1- eg leaving from Mooloolaba you'd be spotted and booked by DPI or Water Police.

Here's a photo of a yoke PFD1 which is what I'm talking about - not the bulky old pillow styles.

Hang on.. are you saying it's illegal to wear a PFD1 on a jetski?

Feral
24-03-2012, 05:57 AM
well there you go - I had thought the recent changes to life jacket laws made PFD1's compulsory on jet ski's.

Interestingly enough I can no longer find the comment anywhere on the MSQ website, that you can wear a higher grade life jacket, IE Use PFD1's in smooth waters. Used to be a comment saying you could wear the higher quality jacket, which would have given you the out for a jet ski.

If you want the extra protection, buy a jacket to the new Oz Standard, then it wont be marked with a PFD rating at all.