PDA

View Full Version : Safety Questions

myangle
13-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Hi all. It's been quite a while since I have been fishing on the bay. Maybe 2 years. I have dusted off the boat, checked all the safety gear, checked the electronics and bought some new fuel. My preference has always been fishing at night in the past and while I was checking safety guidelines online I came up against a brick wall when it comes to lights.

1. Am I right in assuming that the anchor light is for when the boat is "anchored" or not under way? and that it should be turned off when under way after dark?
2. Navigation lights should be on all the time after dark or in reduced visibility?

I have always operated as per the above, but like I said, in the interest of my own safety I am keen to know the facts. A copper pulled me up for a random check a while back and when I asked him he told me that the anchor light should be on all the time after dark which doesn't make sense to me.

mull dog
13-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Your anchor light must also be on when underway at night. I found out the hard way (coppers)!

Axl
13-03-2012, 07:09 AM
From the MSQ web site here is a link to the web page http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/430bc15c-2489-459e-8f7f-55770a69e5a7/power_light_ani.ashxPower-driven ships must show sidelights and either an all round white light or a stern and masthead light. Sailboats under engine power are considered to be power-driven ships, and must show the same lights as a power-driven ship.

Power-driven ships less than seven metres in length and whose speed does not exceed seven knots, may show an all round white light in lieu of sidelights. If practical, these ships should also show sidelights.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/dbb740d0-3d0c-4af5-93ae-87c949534f35/anchor_light.ashxAll ships at anchor must show an all-round white light.

Noelm
13-03-2012, 07:23 AM
If you read the rules, it is very clear.

Mr__Bean
13-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Putting it into "Fisho English", when navigating, under power or drift, then per the image below:

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/430bc15c-2489-459e-8f7f-55770a69e5a7/power_light_ani.ashx

When anchored, then per the image below:

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/dbb740d0-3d0c-4af5-93ae-87c949534f35/anchor_light.ashx

Darren

Noelm
13-03-2012, 08:20 AM
yep, that looks pretty good to me.

Marlin_Mike
13-03-2012, 04:54 PM
And dont leave youre red and green nav lights on when anchored, people will think you are underway or making way

Mike

Feral
13-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Dont have to have anchor light on when under way, just a stern light. As anchor light has to be 1m above the nav lights in Qld, and visible from 360 degrees, having it on will ruin your night vision (as it will light up the interior of the boat) and be a hazard to have on whilst traveling.

Marlin_Mike
13-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Dont have to have anchor light on when under way, just a stern light. As anchor light has to be 1m above the nav lights in Qld, and visible from 360 degrees, having it on will ruin your night vision (as it will light up the interior of the boat) and be a hazard to have on whilst traveling.

My 2 cents Quite clear in the regulations, not rocket science.

"Power-driven ships must show sidelights and EITHER (an all round white light) OR (a stern AND masthead light.")

Fed
13-03-2012, 07:28 PM
And boats at anchor...EITHER an all round white light OR a stern AND masthead light."

No side lights at anchor.

Lancair
13-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Last time I did an overnighter around the pin area, Id have sworn the the rule in QLD was no lights needed at all, even at high speed at night.
I couldnt believe how many boats, and I say boats, meaning not just guys in a shoestring budget tinny, were driving around with NO lights on at all.

In my old tinny, Id have to agree with Feral's comment about lighting up the interior and ruining night vision. I found a solution though, I used black electrical tape to limit the lights beam, so it didnt shine in the boat at all but was still visible 360 degrees. My new boat has the all round white mounted on the rocket laucher, the bimini shades the whole boat from its light at night.

myangle
13-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks all. That's my kind of language...
Now to catch some fish...

pipifin
15-03-2012, 09:49 AM
And dont leave youre red and green nav lights on when anchored, people will think you are underway or making way

Mike
Or will think you are the next beacon..... on the passage a couple of weekends ago, and went past 4 out of 4 boats anchored with nav lights on.... one of them, from a distance, I could only see the port side light.... nearly had me heading the wrong way. Seeing 4 of them had me second guessing as to whether I was supposed to have them on at anchor.

Noelm
15-03-2012, 10:09 AM
kind of amazes how much discussion this raises all the time, the rules are very clear and not negotiable, they should be adhered too, now I know discussion is good, and can raise awareness for the newbie, BUT, it is kind of like asking "should I stop at a red traffic light/stop sign"?

brrbear
15-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Or will think you are the next beacon..... on the passage a couple of weekends ago, and went past 4 out of 4 boats anchored with nav lights on.... one of them, from a distance, I could only see the port side light.... nearly had me heading the wrong way. Seeing 4 of them had me second guessing as to whether I was supposed to have them on at anchor.

good point I can see were this could be cofusing in unknown waters.

To avoid being night blinded by white light when travelling,I have a white light mounted under my wave breaker as well as a transom light

The bonus is no light in the eyes whilst in the boat and from outside white light is visible in all directions .

myangle
15-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks folks. Lets put this one to bed. I have been fishing at night for years now and I am ashamed to admit that I have been using my lights the wrong way. And truthfully I didn't understand the guidelines on the MSQ website.
Thanks for putting me on the right track.