PDA

View Full Version : overnighter Wistari

mangomick
12-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Headed out to Wistari for an overnighter on Friday arvo . Glassed out conditions. Pretty quiet to start with then we moved out a bit and the Red throat started to pick just before the top of the tide then as the run out started they stopped being fussy and on they came. Bagged out on Red throat ,got a couple of spanglies, a few stripies and picked up 3 trout to round off the haul. got bricked plenty of times though . Trip home saturday was pretty ordinary as the S Easterlies got up. Fishos doing checks at the ramp when we got home. told me they were from Roma and hadnt seen too many salt water fish before. Asked me if i was in a hurry as he wanted his mate to see the fish so he would know what they looked like.He said they were from Roma and had been posted to Gladstone because everyone had left or retired. I figure money on the barges may be pulling a few away. A mate of my daughter is about to start on the barge as a decky. She will be on $150K month on month off. No wonder there is no fishing patrol guys left. His mate didnt know what any of the fish were so he has a lot of studying to do.;D

carnster
12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
150k month on month off. Sign me up!

mangomick
12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
150k month on month off. Sign me up!

They are making big money on the island as well but working long hours for it. Dont know if being a deckie on the barge is 12 hour days or not. Her husband is a scaffolder who makes pretty good dough and hes going to stay home and run the farm and take care of the kids.

TREVELLY
13-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Some nice fish there.

Yep have a mate going in as a barge driver - 12 hour shifts and they sleep on the barge - it become a lifestyle for the time you are working and then away for the month. Everyone likes the month off but three weeks into the one month on being there they all get tired and count the days - oh well good luck to them. I did mine work for a while 13 hour days 7 days a week for 26 on and 9 off - no fun.

Some times I wonder if staying on the fish and burleying is a better option than leaving them and looking elsewhere if they are not biting.

jtpython
13-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Mick starting to think u retired from fishing. Good to see u back .
Nice haul mate
JT

JJT
15-03-2012, 06:18 AM
cracking bucket of Spanish flag there mate beaut eating
cheers Jason