PDA

View Full Version : flat battery in five hours ?????

stinky-stabi
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
since i put in the fusion stereo in the stabi the battery goes flat in no time ..have taken it for test and they say it is charging????? turn the boat on the battery reads 13v get out in the first hour and the volts are down to 11v.... radio off after half hour ...then back on half hour later and warning goes off for 10v ... so by that time i have no plotter or sounder as not enough volts so everything shuts down ...no tacho or trim n tilt...travel back for hour and 20 mins everything turned of and get to boat ramp still no power ....outboard tech tells me the stereo is drawing 2.5amps ??? is that enough to stuff me battery up at 5200rpms... i thought it should charging back up ....but looks like i thoughts wrong .......any suggestionS::)

TREVELLY
12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Mate my motor charges at 30amps reckon you would be getting at least 20amps.

Either you are getting no charge or your battery is had it or both - I am no electrician, so if it were me I would go see one.

If you chose process of elimination and the frugal approach will cost you nothing to charge the battery and just take it to a battery shop for a free load test to see if it is cactus ;)

So with the new sterio was Midnight Oil pumping when you caught the 27kg hoo ;D (yes yes choice of band shows my age :-? - I don't know any good new ones :) )

marto78
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Check all your terminals stinky, especially your battery terminals because if they aren't a clean connection it won't charge up properly.

But then again the luck your having with boats it is probaby a crook battery :P

johncar
12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah the stereo shouldn't disharge a healthy battery that quickly so there would be a problem there be it the battery itself or the electrical or the charging system. Too many possibilities to point to one direction.
Some batteries don't recover from a full discharge either so if it was down on charge before you started, the discharge could have caused the battery problems.

Giffo65
12-03-2012, 08:27 PM
I can't see how a wireless(thats a stereo for gen Y) can drain a battery so quick,a bad battery I think.

Trev,love your choice in bands,Had them playing on LP and still have em in the shed.

marto78
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I forgot to mention if you are using the CD player then it will most likely drain a battery in 5 hrs.

Si
12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
sounds like you are not getting charge or your battery is cactus. how old is your battery and what type is it?

3rd degree
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I put a fusion cd/mp3/radio in my new boat.

Fitted a brand new battery in December, and have had the cd player going, along with everything else for 50+ hours and no dramas.

Cheers
Jim

deckie
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
You're saying after just one hour its down to 11V ?..and u need to switch the stereo off after 30 mins ?
If u arnt half deaf and running a doof doof 1000W amp behind the dash..something seriously aint right. If the stereo is actually drawing only 2.5A (checked rather than manuf specs), and you are also charging that batt from the donk you shouldnt be having that issue or even close to it. Put in persepctive a small livey pump will draw similar. Even if u didnt charge that batt from donk it wouldnt cause any half decent marine batt that problem.
I'm guessing its the battery itself on last legs, but could be anything. What type of batt is it ? and how old ?

propdinger
13-03-2012, 08:32 AM
if its only started happening after the stereo was added either its not wired correct or a wire is earthing out somewhere to drain a battery that quick. thats if battery and altenator is working correct

fat-buoy
13-03-2012, 09:36 AM
That sounds like your motor is not charging the battery... you say that when you turn the boat on the volts are at 13V... is the motor running at this stage? if so then it is under charging as they will normally charge at between 14V - 16V...

Do your test across the battery terminals with the motor off and then test the voltage with motor running ... should read something like 12 -13V with motor turned off and then 14 - 16V when running... if not then the issue is not the stereo.

If those figures look right then do the same test but at the power supply at the stereo... could be an issue between the stereo and battery draining the battery out.

let us know how you go.

Fed
13-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm holding out for the English translation.

MudRiverDan
13-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Fusion stereo, not really known for their efficiency on power.

If your running other stuff off the same 1 battery (what size?)?

Pretty sure you would be drawing a fair bit..just a laymans guess

cheers

tunaticer
13-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I am taking a wild shot but, are you running dual batteries? and did you disconnect them when you fitted the radio?? and did you connect both ends of the link cable between the cranking and home batteries??? A mate did exactly that a yr or two ago, the motor was charging crank battery and home battery was going flat similar to your problem. The link cable fell behind the batteries and could not be seen. Damn near rewired the boat to find that problem.

stinky-stabi
13-03-2012, 06:16 PM
she is at performance auto elecs in caloundra so rob hopefully will source problem n while shes there getting all the wiring in the renewed.....and yes i need to fit a dual system...could be on the cards tomoz ???? need her going for the trip out 100ks or so next week end...off to lady elliot

stinky-stabi
16-03-2012, 06:45 PM
got the dual battery set up but still not charging so off to custom craft ...looking like a new emm as it has the alternator in built , sparky says its making 56v but its not coming out the otherside of computer???

Jarrah Jack
16-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Hows the boat going now Stinky apart from the charging problem? Does it feel any different when you pound the sh!t out of it or should I say drive it to your potential. Perhaps the charging system has been atomized somewhere?

stinky-stabi
17-03-2012, 06:37 AM
gday jarrah jack the boat is fine doesnt get a big reverberation when smashing over things lolololol feels more solid under ya feet i would say

stinky-stabi
17-03-2012, 03:00 PM
:speechless:they reckon if i need a new emm it is 2200:-[ will be trading up maybe to a 115 ,,will have the outcome tuesday...and i worked out that auto elecs and etec's are not a good combo....:-[......took it to dealers today

Moonlighter
19-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Before you go with a new emm talk to Alan Downes he's the evinrude etec expert.

Also, if you end up needing a new emm, talk to these guys - from what I can see on US websites, they supply and remanufacture emms for Ficht and etecs amongst other things and seem to be the go-to mob.

http://www.dfitechnologies.com/products.html

Cheers

ML

Spaniard_King
19-03-2012, 04:23 PM
2200... nasty. I bought a couple of EMM for the early model 225s when omc went bust. theses guys were the original EMM manufacturers for the ficht engines and were the only ones supporting the product between OMC and BRP's takeover (1999 - 2001-2)

12 month or 100hr warranty .. be worth finding out what brp's warranty is

stinky-stabi
19-03-2012, 08:13 PM
got her back the sarvy and all test show there is nothing wrong ?????? got some wires replaced on the tilt sensor which were burnt out so hopefully will get out Wednesday Arvy if weather forecast is correct...hope it has gone away(the battery drainage that is)