PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba

TREVELLY
12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
The mission should you choose to accept it is to break Womp's drought.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?182585-In-need-of-some-local-help-to-break-my-drought.

Well this thread is more about what we tried and saw - rather than exceptional results and pics of huge fish :)

First out to Gneerings at 5.30am water temp 25.5 deg - it was calm trolled for a short while did not see huge numbers of baitfish on sounder but did see two to three dozen boats trolling so figured here was a remote lottery.

Headed South to Caloundra went across some reef worth prospecting about 300m from a boat drifting the same reef. Did one drift then the only other boat seen on the horizon comes flying in, sits off to one side a hundred metres away watching, sees a couple of small fish caught, then when I start my second drift he pulls in 30m behind me to follow the exact same drift :-? - peanut! Blue fibreglass boat with two dad's and two young teenage boys - wasn't worth the agro so left them to it.

Went South to 12mile and trolled baitfish for a while on surface and with downrigger - no joy.

Prospected the desert ground off Caloundra and caught some fish that look like Sergeant Baker, Mother in Law fish - what ever but had teeth like deep sea monsters - every time we got one they trashed the trace - I think the best name we gave them was "turds with teeth" "TWT" - anyone know what they are - mongrels were almost every place we fished.

We looked about found a decent bait school - trolled it for a while then drifted through it and Womp (David) caught some cod

We got some livies, slimies and yakkas and went wide to the 60m line after trying a few spots along the way.

At the 60m line the water temp was 27.9deg - there were current lines and it looked good - wished I have gotten there earlier to troll it. No matter we dropped some livies down and bait down missed a few good hits on the livies.

Went inshore a bit to cobia wreck hoping for some real action on the livies - as the sounder lit up when we got there. Five or six livebaits later a couple of reasonable hits missed but a couple of TWT landed and the sun set, so we moved towards Caloundra 12 mile, drifted the last few livies for only one good hit missed then bait fished there and Murphies for a few hours then went in.

Did some respectable miles and was surprised so see no birds working any schools of feeding fish all day. It was calm and we only saw a very short burst of feeding fish once - over with in minutes.

How did you guys go?

Was anything caught at Gneerings trolling? Looked busy with boats yet quiet with fish when we were there.

We were treated with some nice weather - unusual for my trips. Next time I strike weather like this on a weekend I will go wide.

Well we broke Womps drought - wouldn't say it was a floodgate opening, but a start.

Oh and I got a new hat - reckon it looks good alongside the little tuskie ;D

ollie1
12-03-2012, 02:29 PM
thanks for the report trev, i got a spanish at outer gneerings just before sun came up on saturday on lures that was it for the morning for me.

stinky-stabi
12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
gday trev how u been ,,im lovn those seats mate.... i went out on saturday morning got four hits and one 27kg wahoo....will post pick tonight
cheers stinky

TREVELLY
12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
gday trev how u been ,,im lovn those seats mate.... i went out on saturday morning got four hits and one 27kg wahoo....will post pick tonight

cheers stinky

You mongrel - well done ;D

If you decide to be secret about spot at least message me very roughly :)

Mate I am happy to see the seats went to a good home and got some use not just stored and trashed.

Looking forward to your report :)

stinky-stabi
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
pm sent..................

TREVELLY
12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
pm sent..................

drool drool drool ;D

Nice eating too those hoos - mate that's a pearler!!

Hey and thanks for posting the pic - now my thread has an awesome fish pic in it ;D

womp
18-03-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4765&d=1176962032

Hey Trev, found out that those TWT's are called Grinners, one guess as the why... :-)

Cant wait for this weather to clear up, at this rate it will be weeks before the canals and estuaries around bribie are ready to produce quality fish.

Cheers David

womp
18-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Trev,

What's the name of that wire trace that u were using with the lures?

David.

TREVELLY
19-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi David,

The mono looking stuff with the aluminium crimps was Jinkai

The wire single strand that stretches but I still crimp is called "Knot2Kinky" It is tieable - but I reckon crimps are th go and I use 2 at each end - Irish "to be sure to be sure"

I use about 200mm wire and about 2m plus of Jinkai for trolling.

womp
19-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Trev,

would you say that the wire trace could be used when chasing tailor from the beach. Just got offered a surf rod and im thinking about going surf side when the tailor are on the run. Or should i just buy pre-made traces?

David