PDA

View Full Version : No Oil???

merseybluenose
11-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Ok, so headed out to Cabbage Tree this morning to shoot over to South Straddie and had a few issues. We picked up our new rig (secondhand) on Saturday and shot over to Peel, boat went great on the way over, had a few issues on return trip with motor vibrating when trying to up the power, turned ignition on and off and then motor powered up fine and got us home, didn't know what to think:-?:-?:-?.

Started at Cabbage Tree this morning and motor was doing it again straight away, idles great, plenty of spark on ignition but couldn't power up much more than idle without motor vibrating heavily. After a while of playing with ignition motor kicks in and we head out to South Straddie full speed no problems. Spent the day anchored up, get in to go home and motor is playing up again, same thing but this time all the playing around won't fix it>:(>:(>:(.

Looked like we were going to have to limp back to the ramp, got most of the way back before the young fella sits on my lap and says, what's that red light daddy?? What light I say...........can't quite make out the sign below the red light but I was certain it was going to be oil related, pull off the cowl and realise that the oil tank on the motor (40hp, 2 stroke, 3cyl, self mixing) was empty:-[:-[:-[. Filled her up and motor ran no problems all the way back to the ramp.

I'm now concerned that I have tried to run this motor without enough oil and that I have caused serious damage, on the other hand I'm wondering whether the oil was just a coincidence and I have a greater problem??

Stuart
11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I would say no coincidence mate. Rough idle could be the plugs arking out due to metal flake from the bottom end finding there way to the base of the plugs. The rough idle could be a number of issues but soon as you said red light and no oil then alarm beels ring, sorry. I need to take it to a marine machanic to check over because while this forum can be a huge help there is nothing like seeing with ones own eyes. Dont hang around waiting for answeres to something no one here can help with other than advice. Go and get it looked at, you may need a hone or new bearings,rings and a re bore.

Steeler
11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Yep sure is time for a proper going over and diagnosis ie comp check etc. Does your model not have a low oil level buzzer ?.

Moral to the story is always do a visual check of your oil level before a trip and from time to time put a pencil mark on the bottle and check after a trip that it is using it.

merseybluenose
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks lads, there is no buzzer on this model and because this is the first time I've had a self mixing motor, and one of this size I assumed that the oil that was in it when first started was enough and therefore the problems that came up where of another issue..........seems silly to say but when you're trying to get used to a new rig you can easily overlook anything you're not used to dealing with. I think you've both hit the nail on the head, time to take her in with fingers crossed that this is just relatively minor although I'm fearing the worst

Steeler
11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
The fact that it did not sieze up on you is a positive. Good luck with eh and keep us informed.

What make and year model is it ?.

Axl
12-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Yep sure is time for a proper going over and diagnosis ie comp check etc. Does your model not have a low oil level buzzer ?.

Moral to the story is always do a visual check of your oil level before a trip and from time to time put a pencil mark on the bottle and check after a trip that it is using it.

Some good advice there Steeler!!!! Take it to a mechanic merseybluenose I am surprised it is still running. As you've said I am fearing the worst also.

Best of luck mate let us know how it works out.

Crunchy
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Could the motor have gone into a self preservation mode? (I.e. low revs) Low oil or no oil...big difference.

Fafnir
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
seems silly to say but when you're trying to get used to a new rig you can easily overlook anything you're not used to dealing with.

It is at that. I have had a couple of marine mechanics say that they're not fans of the self mixing systems. They normally bypass them and tell people to pre-mix the fuel in their tanks, for the very reason that Steeler was referring to, that often they fail or don't work to their full potential.

Fingers crossed that it works out cheap.

merseybluenose
12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Rung Paul down at Wynumn Marine today to book her in this week, I've always found him very helpful. Like you said crunchy he thinks that the motor went into self preservation mode as they have a float in the oil tank that limits the ignition somehow, he also said that had I done major damage the engine would have just seized, nevertheless I have booked her in for this week to get it looked at and at least have a service.....fingers crossed that this is all it needs, will keep posted!

ozscott
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
The right system is a no brainer. Can't go past a good oil injection. Eg Yamaha v4. There are others eg 3cyl modern Merc 2 strokes. Cheers

Stuart
13-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Just because a 2 stroke engine runs out of oil doesnt always mean you will seize the engine straight away. If you were running at low revs and the engine stopped then you may have scored bores which isnt good and you may have damaged the main bearings which again isnt good. I would rather have those two issues than a seized donk any day of the week.

merseybluenose
15-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Good News!!!

Phone rang this arvo and boat is ready to go!!!;D;D;D

Seems it was just a limiting feature of the motor that has prevented any damage, has had a full service and is mechanically A1........now just gotta wait for the good weather!8-)

Chas & Clarry
15-03-2012, 07:02 PM
That is great news, must have been a big wieght off your shoulders!!

Argle
16-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Good stuff - bet the oil level will be the first and last thing checked from now on hey!

P.S dont forget the bung!! :)

Cheers

merseybluenose
16-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Good stuff - bet the oil level will be the first and last thing checked from now on hey!

P.S dont forget the bung!! :)

Cheers
Hahahahahaha - yup, the reservoir is full from the service and I bought a new 2ltr container to go in the boat!!!