PDA

View Full Version : Who carries a foot pedal when using a Minn Kota IPilot ?

NAGG
09-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi all

i'm just curious to see who has an IPilot ...... but still carries a foot pedal ( just in case).

I've been using a co pilot for a while now ,,,,,, with no dramas :) But i have ordered my new IPilot with a foot pedal as a just in case ....... :) I'd hate to have no back up if the remote cacks itself when I am away :'(

chris

Obi _ Wan
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes I do,--I was advised to do so by a mate from Gladstone.

John.

Peter4
10-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Yeah - we carry a foot pedal as well but never use it. If I was buying now I would forego the foot pedal...

NAGG
10-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Yeah - we carry a foot pedal as well but never use it. If I was buying now I would forego the foot pedal...

Hi Pete

Is that because you have faith in the remote ? - How easy & how often do you need to change the batteries ?.
I ummed and ahhed about it (specially at $230)....... but it was only when I ordered something else from the states which saved me a packet & I could combine the shipping - it was too good a deal .... the pedal cost me in real terms about A$25:happy:.
- Having not owned one of these newer IPilots .... I wasn't sure on how good they are * Also I have been known to leave the co-pilot remote back at camp or in the car :oops: .......and , that does tend to spoil a day. So it is also a back up for my own stupidity ::)
btw Do you know what a spare IPilot remote costs ?.
Anyhow - a foot control is on the way but I just wanted to hear of other peoples experiences with the technology because on the other side of things , MK foot pedals are known for their issues. :(

chris

TheSaint
10-03-2012, 06:53 AM
I use the footpetal as well as the remote when fishing. I guess i'm just used to fishing with a foot petal over the years..

shane450
10-03-2012, 07:14 AM
I had my remote crap out in Hinchinbrook on my last trip , luckily i took the foot pedal as well I had to convert it all back over back at the Holiday park , mybow mount was a AP unit that I bought the I Pilot kit for so you cannot run both at the same time . Definately pay the money and get a foot pedal as insurance , I think some of the earlier hand units had a seal issue and moisture gets in , not sure if its still that way . BLA swapped mine over on warranty .

NAGG
10-03-2012, 07:16 AM
I use the footpetal as well as the remote when fishing. I guess i'm just used to fishing with a foot petal over the years..

I know what you mean ........ I spent over 4 years on a foot pedal & about a year now on a remote ........ and every now and then there has been a situation that has had me wishing I still had the option , like when lure fishing a tidal creek and you are constantly adjusting the boat angle - the remote is a pain in the ass because you have to stop fishing to use it . Thinking about it right now - I'll probably use the foot control when I'm up at a place like hinchinbrook or russell / mulgrave rivers
. ...... the reverse is I have a couple of mates that like a foot pedal but when the foot control has crapped itself - they were able to pull out the remote and keep fishing (I like that)
So you can use the remote even if the foot pedal is connected ? - I thought you had to disconnect it (you do on a co-pilot)

the other thing is that unlike the fob of the co-pilot the Ipilot is much larger & bulkier ........ is that an issue if slung around the neck - I used one a bit but as the boat was spot locked most of the time.... it wasn't a problem

chris

NAGG
10-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I had my remote crap out in Hinchinbrook on my last trip , luckily i took the foot pedal as well I had to convert it all back over back at the Holiday park , mybow mount was a AP unit that I bought the I Pilot kit for so you cannot run both at the same time . Definately pay the money and get a foot pedal as insurance , I think some of the earlier hand units had a seal issue and moisture gets in , not sure if its still that way . BLA swapped mine over on warranty .

thanks Shane

I heard the same about the Gen1 I-Pilots & know of 2 that have had issues with water (I've got a Gen2 being fitted to the new boat) ......... but that is where my concerns actually came from. Even my Co-pilot fob the sealing does not appear to be very good - so much so , that when I change the batteries - I run a bead of silicon sealer around it.
I know what it is like to have the leccy out of action when away on a big trip ........ In fact leccy's have been the bain of many fishoes when away. I've certainly had my fair share hence having the option of either or sounded like a good idea (even better now)
Hell - I might even take my old leccy up North with me next month;D just in case

Chris

Kondo 1
10-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Gday Chris,

I have the foot pedal on the 55lb terrova with the remote as well, honestly never touched the pedal - but it does live in the boat for as you say leaving the remote behind or it fails (though my remote lives in my boat too).

I think good if entirely under utilized option, if only for a safeguard as like you say the worst thing in a fishing trip is a failed or unusable MK, especially if your trips are as infrequent as mine...

Is this for the Barra Masta? is it an 80 or 55lb model (how many battery positions are supplied for the Electric on the 5m Barra Masta?)

NAGG
10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Gday Chris,

I have the foot pedal on the 55lb terrova with the remote as well, honestly never touched the pedal - but it does live in the boat for as you say leaving the remote behind or it fails (though my remote lives in my boat too).

I think good if entirely under utilized option, if only for a safeguard as like you say the worst thing in a fishing trip is a failed or unusable MK, especially if your trips are as infrequent as mine...

Is this for the Barra Masta? is it an 80 or 55lb model (how many battery positions are supplied for the Electric on the 5m Barra Masta?)

Im only going a 55lb ........ but based on what I have experienced over the last 5 years. I generally anchor in windy conditions or fast currents around rock bars . I'll forego the 80lb ( I ran a 74lb on my 480 hornet for 4 of those 5 years) ....... i like the higher thrust - but dont like 2 batteries and under what I would prefer (2 x 120amp).

a 55lb will do ..... specially coupled with a 200amp AGM

Chris

Kondo 1
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Dont blame you at all - if you dont use the thrust why bother with the expense and complexity of 24v, I try to avoid anchoring at all costs :) and feel the 55 is underpowered on my 4.55 and would probably go the 80...

So the 5.0 has 2 battery positions up front? Great news. I am truly looking forward to seeing your setup when you get it.

NAGG
10-03-2012, 10:04 PM
I've pretty well always been a advocate for a bigger leccy ....... and without my fishing preference & style - I would have not thought any different ....... once I found myself in fast tidal flows up north = not even the 74lb could really deal with it ( so I anchored ) ....... caught more fish too. So why push a leccy hard when you can anchor = it's not for me

Chris

TheSaint
11-03-2012, 07:18 AM
a 55lb will do ..... specially coupled with a 200amp AGM

Chris

Why don't you go the 24v system with the weight of that 200amp AGM (61kg) you are nearly carrying the weight of two batteries (105amp x 2 -62kgs) for half the thrust??

tunaticer
11-03-2012, 07:35 AM
I suggested to a mate a while ago that found the remote a bit annoying with weight etc to make a post that will hold it at waist height in the middle of the boat and stand beside it to fish. He tried that and liked it. I would probably opt for both pedal and remote myself, remotes are impossible to use when fighting a good fish when solo.

NAGG
11-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Why don't you go the 24v system with the weight of that 200amp AGM (61kg) you are nearly carrying the weight of two batteries (105amp x 2 -62kgs) for half the thrust??

I've had the 24 volt system (74lb) ..... I still have it! - Yes you can hoot along at a fair clip ..... or be able to hold better in current or wind. But what I found is that even in these adverse conditions (with only 100amps) you quite often ran out of power. Now as I said before - as I wised up .... I started to anchor in these conditions anyway so the higher thrust becomes superfluous . Through last year I dropped down to a 12 volt system (55lb) - and eventually added the big 200amp battery. So even if I have to run flat stick - I have plenty of juice stored. (yes I noticed the difference when repositioning the boat against the tide ..... but that was it.)
Having a new leccy with Ipilot - I can use the spot lock feature right through a days fishing and know I have plenty of amps up my sleeve . So in the end it boils down to intended use . As I've said before 100amps is a bare minimum (IMO) ...... 120 0r 150amps is ideal - so a 24volt system will cost me about $400 more plus $600-$700 more for decent 120 amp AGM ........ for an every now and then advantage.

Chris

NAGG
11-03-2012, 08:05 AM
I suggested to a mate a while ago that found the remote a bit annoying with weight etc to make a post that will hold it at waist height in the middle of the boat and stand beside it to fish. He tried that and liked it. I would probably opt for both pedal and remote myself, remotes are impossible to use when fighting a good fish when solo.

Yep - that's what I found Tony ...... and that's when I wished for the foot pedal - I tried using a remote when fighting a barra in the timber - what a nightmare ! I had to hand the remote to my mate.
So regardless the foot pedal & remote in combination gives the best of both worlds.

Chris

Splash
11-03-2012, 10:10 AM
As I've said before 100amps is a bare minimum (IMO) ...... 120 0r 150amps is ideal - so a 24volt system will cost me about $400 more plus $600-$700 more for decent 120 amp AGM ........ for an every now and then advantage.
Chris

Hi Nagg.

Can you clarify how many batteries are required for the 24V MK system and outboard?

Why are multiple batteries required?

Splash

NAGG
11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi Nagg.

Can you clarify how many batteries are required for the 24V MK system and outboard?

Why are multiple batteries required?

Splash

2 x 12 volt ...... 4 x 6 volt - That's for the minn kota only
Then you need a cranking battery for the boat 's motor ......... & some also run a house battery for the electronics , bilges , bait tanks & live well .
A mate has 5 batteries in his boat ...... 1 cranking , 1 house deep cycle & 3 for his 36 volt leccy

Chris

netmaker
11-03-2012, 06:10 PM
i was never too good with the foot pedal. upgraded to copilot almost straight away and found that strapped onto the rod to be a good fish chasing system. after retro fitting the ipilot i cant use a foot pedal even if i wanted to. i will say tho that being able to record a drift is a fantastic advantage when fishing ledges and wrecks etc. just take the time to record first and kick back with the cruise control setting the speed. when onto a fish i just use the stop lock and play the fish from there. i just make sure i have high capacity spools. haven't used it in the timber tho and can imagine that the pedal would have its advantages in that situation. always keep a spare battery for the remote and keep it in the dry box when not being used. i haven't missed the pedal at all.

cheers
davo

Peter4
19-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Is that because you have faith in the remote ? - How easy & how often do you need to change the batteries ?.
I ummed and ahhed about it (specially at $230)....... but it was only when I ordered something else from the states which saved me a packet & I could combine the shipping - it was too good a deal .... the pedal cost me in real terms about A$25:happy:.
- Having not owned one of these newer IPilots .... I wasn't sure on how good they are * Also I have been known to leave the co-pilot remote back at camp or in the car :oops: .......and , that does tend to spoil a day. So it is also a back up for my own stupidity ::)
btw Do you know what a spare IPilot remote costs ?.
Anyhow - a foot control is on the way but I just wanted to hear of other peoples experiences with the technology because on the other side of things , MK foot pedals are known for their issues.

Sorry I've taken some time to get back to you Chris...I was in Perth all of last week.

Both Kyle & I have become very skilled on the remote (Kyle more than I). We have not yet had to chase a big fish in the Mondy timber, but we have chased snapper on the reefs and big lizards in the shallows. Trying to chase a big fish solo in a tight area would be a nightmare I reckon! That's why we work as a team!:)

We have great faith in the remote and it has not failed us yet. It lives in the tacklebox and hasn't needed batteries since new (November 2010). No idea what a spare remote costs...

Our foot pedal was $200 and we never use it! Shoulda got a second remote!

Cheers

Pete

rooboy98
19-03-2012, 01:29 PM
No idea what a spare remote costs...

Cheers

Pete

G'day Chris,

I've actually been pricing up I-Pilot kits here in Australia and the US during the past week. As a guide, I've been quoted about $270 for a second I-Pilot remote here in Australia. Out of the States they are about $160(US). For the record, I currently still carry my foot pedal while using my current Co-Pilot set up but I've never used it.

Cheers,
Roo.

aidbox
19-03-2012, 06:09 PM
It took me losing 2 barra over 80cm and a couple of jacks before I got my foot pedal. I live in Hinchinbrook and I have the pedal to get me out of sticky situations but use he remote most. I dont really like the design of the ipilot foot pedal with the 'roll of the heel/foot' to steer....unless im using it wrong- anyone? shows how much i use it

TheSaint
19-03-2012, 06:30 PM
It took me losing 2 barra over 80cm and a couple of jacks before I got my foot pedal. I live in Hinchinbrook and I have the pedal to get me out of sticky situations but use he remote most. I dont really like the design of the ipilot foot pedal with the 'roll of the heel/foot' to steer....unless im using it wrong- anyone? shows how much i use it

Hahaha..

The three buttons on the bottom is what you can use for steering & moving instead of using the 'roll of the heel/foot' to steer..

NAGG
19-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry I've taken some time to get back to you Chris...I was in Perth all of last week.

Both Kyle & I have become very skilled on the remote (Kyle more than I). We have not yet had to chase a big fish in the Mondy timber, but we have chased snapper on the reefs and big lizards in the shallows. Trying to chase a big fish solo in a tight area would be a nightmare I reckon! That's why we work as a team!:)

We have great faith in the remote and it has not failed us yet. It lives in the tacklebox and hasn't needed batteries since new (November 2010). No idea what a spare remote costs...

Cheers

Pete
\

No worries Pete

Sounds like you haven't lived ( chasing a big barra in the sticks):P -
A remote when solo is pretty useless in that situation & as I found when fishing the creeks up north ,,,,, you spend too much time adjusting and not casting :(

I'll eventually get a spare remote ...... Cover all eventualities ::)

Chris

Peter4
20-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Oh, we've chased big barra in the sticks at Mondy - just not using the remote. The purchase of the i-pilot coincided with the disappearance of all the big girls at Mondy...