PDA

View Full Version : Live-well...do you run it all the time?l

Chas & Clarry
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
We have never had a live well before, but do now.

I assume that once we have fish in the well we need to keep the pump running all the time; is that right????????????

Thanks for any advice :)

Tim and Trace

rowanda
09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
I do, but ti depends on the type of livey....slimies will die quick without water running.....may aswell keep them as fresh as possible

NAGG
09-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Slimies & herring need exceptional water flow ....... I;ve seen slimies die in big 100lt live bait tanks because of the lack of flow ( slimies do best when they can swim against a flow ).
When I had my CC - I carried a 150lt round plastic chemical drum that was fed by a 1000gph pump ...... the round drum would allow me to hold 50 slimies or southern fusiliers .......

worked a treat on those big live bait sessions

chris

TheSaint
10-03-2012, 06:46 AM
As said above for live baits it pays to run it all the time but if your Catch n Release with bream, flathead, bass or jacks. You just need to run the pump for a a few mins every 10-15mins & put some fresh water in every now & again.

I would get Flow-rite pro timer to make things alittle easier..

http://www.flow-rite.com/files/file/pdf-australia/Pro-Timer_sellsheet.pdf

odes20
10-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I bought a live well timer switch from EBay USA which runs my pump every 3 minutes for 30 seconds which is actually very effective. I find it so useful because I don't have to remember to keep switching it on while fishing. Tend to inevitably forget to turn it on and off. You can buy quite a few types on EBay USA , but here in Aussie I could only find about one brand and it was so costly it was ridiculous . The one I bought cost me about $58.00 au delivered.

odes20
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
They are called a Live Well Timer

Cheers

Chas & Clarry
11-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys

Our tank got a good test out yesterday with a nice 60cm flatty and 32 cm grunter

Just edited this post to put in a photo of the above I couldn't load up when I originally posted this