PDA

View Full Version : Side console at about 75% aft

Splash
07-03-2012, 05:48 AM
I read that someone (in another forum) prefers his SC to be "at about 75% aft".

Does this mean 3/4 up from stern of boat (or 1/4 back from bow)?

What is the ideal % distance of SC you would prefer in a 4.1m polycraft?

Splash

BGG
07-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Splash
I have a Poly 4.5 and the SC is as far aft as it can get. Suits me and leaves a lot of room in front.

Fafnir
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Almost every side console I have seen has them as far back as possible as BGG mentioned. I think you'll find 75% aft, means 3/4 of the way from the bow to the stern.

Splash
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys.

What is the advantage of having the SC this far back from the bow?

Fafnir - have you seen many smaller boats (aroudn the 4.0m mark) with the SC as far back as possible as well?

Splash

NAGG
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys.

Fafnir - have you seen many smaller boats (aroudn the 4.0m mark) with the SC as far back as possible as well?

Splash

Ride / comfort ....... and still able to fish from the rear corners -
I actually like a set up that is somewhere between 60-70% - That way you dont have to stand up to drive in messy conditions

Chris

Dan5
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys.

Splash

So you don't need a kidney belt,put as far back as practical Splasho...........keeps you out of harms way when someone is casting up front aswell...........I wish i had a 'cone of silence" type arrangement in mine for way ward novice casters!

Dan

Fafnir
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM

I have seen a couple of smaller open tinnies that have been converted into side consoles that have still used the rear bench as the seat, no different to where they would have sat using a tiller steer. I think the main advantage as others have mentioned is having more room to cast from the bow. The Challenger Polycrafts seem to have theirs near the middle of the boat, but that seems to be as far back as they can get them to still allow for a seat, given the moulded areas in the back corners?

troy
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Almost every side console I have seen has them as far back as possible as BGG mentioned. I think you'll find 75% aft, means 3/4 of the way from the bow to the stern.
Mate the formosa tomahawk seems to be a bit to far forward.
What do you think.
Troy

Splash
07-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Does'nt having the SC as rear as possible increase leaning issues?

Splash

Dan5
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Splash

Having it mounted on the side is more of a leaning issue than being rear mounted.............side console one up requires some balancing out with the esky etc..........2 up well you get the idea......

Side console is a better option in a smaller boat for the space saving opposed to center console.

Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks Dan.

As per attached photo, do you recommend I insert a front and rear casting platform, which would mean I need to remove the SC unit from existing position and re-attach to the new front casting platform??

Also, your last sentence in your last post - can you possibly clarify??

Splash

Fafnir
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Splash

I wouldn't have thought so. Not when you consider where you would normally sit in a tiller steer.

Dan5
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks Dan.

As per attached photo, do you recommend I insert a front and rear casting platform, which would mean I need to remove the SC unit from existing position and re-attach to the new front casting platform??

Also, your last sentence in your last post - can you possibly clarify??

Splash

Yeah mate sorry i ment to say side console space saving over center console.....my mistake.

Front cast deck is all you need mate.....keep it uncluttered at the back.

does this boat have underfloor fuel or totes?

That console position is crap IMO.........any breeze will blow the spray strait back in your face and riding there in a v=nose punt will be painfull................atleast a 2hr trip in that to the mouth of the south alligator Splasho..........4.5 with 60hp tiller...........is it too late to re-consider?
Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
no worries Dan.

No underfloor fuel tanks - just access for the portable fuel tanks to fit in rear cubicles - which is sufficient for my application.

Well, I have just had confirmation from Polycraft that they have just welded on the SC into position - which means I will have to cut it off to extend the front casting platform, and shift the SC more towards stern. Damn - I should have asked them not to weld the SC - but just supply it unattached...

I have not selected any seating option as yet, so I am still open for ideas here..

Wondering if I should just extend the rear casting platform and use it for seating as well??

Edit - I have just re-read your edited post - and see you do not like this SC position. Looks like I will cut the thing off and start again.... :-(

THoughts??

Splash

Dan5
07-03-2012, 02:41 PM
no worries Dan.

No underfloor fuel tanks - just access for the portable fuel tanks to fit in rear cubicles - which is sufficient for my application.

Well, I have just had confirmation from Polycraft that they have just welded on the SC into position - which means I will have to cut it off to extend the front casting platform, and shift the SC more towards stern. Damn - I should have asked them not to weld the SC - but just supply it unattached...

I have not selected any seating option as yet, so I am still open for ideas here..

Wondering if I should just extend the rear casting platform and use it for seating as well??

THoughts??

Splash

Get it sorted in the factory Splash...........it will cost a fortune here to take it somewhere to re-weld it not to mention the quality of the workmanship here will most likely be expensive and rubbish.........theres only a few poly welding places here and they mainly do mining work...........they will charge accordingly.

If its done in the factory they have there reputation to protect atleast.

Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Wish I could - they stated that the console has already been welded in place and is unable to be moved.

Dunno - Looks like I need to cut it off myself and do away with the SC altogether.... and just stick with a tiller setup??

thoughts??

Splash

Dan5
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
IMO would be the best option............tiller is the way to go for 4.5 and under

KISS principal

Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks Dan.

I really appreciate your help and advice in this matter...!!

I don't know how much extra I paid for this SC unit, but I will cut it off and store it somewhere (or just toss it) and put it down to a key learning...

I am glad I did not pay for any steering wheel or cabling or seating with this rig.

It was beginning to a royal PIA trying to figure out best configuration with the SC anyway..

So, back to the tiller setup - How do I combat the pain in the arms on long hauls with the tiller?

Any other tips/tricks I shoudl be considering with the tiller?

I can now extend the front and rear casting and platforms....without any issue

I will be getting the Honda BF50 4T.

Splash

Fafnir
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Wish I could - they stated that the console has already been welded in place and is unable to be moved.

It's not a custom job is it Splash? If it's a standard Poly SC configuration then why can't they just flog it off to one of their dealers and sell you one of their open boat tiller steers? Surely they don't want/expect you to drive around with grinder marks from where you've lopped off the console? I can't see how it would be that much of an inconvenience for them. Have you paid for it?

I can understand their position if you specifically requested a challenger side console and they have trouble moving them. But if they do have trouble moving them then what's that saying? And if they don't have trouble moving them then I can't see how it's a problem for them to sell it to one of their dealers. You shouldn't have to cut up a new hull.

Dan5
07-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Mate what pain in the arm?...........The new tillers are awesome.........extra long for leverage.........trim/tilt start throttle friction control all at your finger tips.........all you have to do is set the little trim anode up correctly and adjust the friction controller accordingly and your away.
I had the 60hp yammy tiller on a 4.5 and had no issues what so ever........when it's et up correctly all you will have to do is virtually rest your hand on the throttle.

Easy as Splash easy as.............mate i did 3hr runs with that set up no issues at all.

Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Fafnir.

Yes, this was a one-off order to Polycraft. They only make/cook them after you (or Dealer) place your deposit. They do not make batches.

I cannot see them cutting this SC off and re-selling it, as it is is gun metal grey (rare colour) and who wants a cut-off SC unit...?

Yes, I have paid for this SC unit, and specifically requested a SC hull.

I will cop it on the chin and move on.

I will be fitting an extended front casting platform, so any ugly grind marks will not be seen.

Dan5 - I thought the tiller would be painful to manage for long journeys after reading many posts stating that users have sore arms/wrists after using tillers for long journeys...

Splash

Dan5
07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Proberbly using old school tillers (very short) or they have not set the boat/engine up properly in the first place.
Dan

PS Gunmetal........that will look good mate,never seen one that colour........will match a nice yammy or suzy 60hp very well

Splash
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks Dan,

So, is it still recommended I extend both front and rear casting platforms with the new tiller setup?

I look forward to the less painful tiller setup now...

I'll be fitting a new Honda BF50 to this hull.

Splash

Fafnir
07-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I cannot see them cutting this SC off and re-selling it

I was actually suggesting that they would leave the console on and sell it as a side console.

And the gun metal grey sounds great. Shame you can't test it as a side console first before doing any cutting, just to see if you like it.

Splash
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks Fafnir - my mistake. No, they would not sell this unit to anyone else as no-one else has ordered it. I know what you mean though. It is unfortunate how they operate this philosophy.

Splash.

Dan5
07-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks Dan,

So, is it still recommended I extend both front and rear casting platforms with the new tiller setup?

I look forward to the less painful tiller setup now...

I'll be fitting a new Honda BF50 to this hull.

Splash

I'm not familiar with the layout to be honest Splash..........My gut feeling is to have a front cast deck primarily for storage purpose and leave the back as is (open).......with a boat this small your not going to gain much height from a cast deck anyway IMO so leaving it open at the rear would be my advice.

Cramming a small boat is the last thing i would do.

Dan

Splash
07-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dan.

I have also bought a new i-pilot MK leccy which will be installed when everything settles..

Splash