PDA

View Full Version : Samsonvale yabbies and bait question

kingtin
06-03-2012, 07:41 PM
137 from 8 pots today. the large and medium are going in a sweet chilli, garlic and ginger sauce, the little tackers I've frozen for bait.

Don't know much about fishing the fresh but pulled a few large tilapia from there on prawn hung below a float just off the bottom. I'm not into chucking lures nowadays.......prefer to just lay back and let bait do the work. Any chance of this working for yellers or cod, with small cray as bait ?

Biggies

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/z1_1-1.jpg

mediums

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/z1-1.jpg

wags on the water
06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Gday Kev sorry I can't help you with the bait question, but I must say they are some good size yabbies.

Cheers,
Wags

Obi _ Wan
06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Kev, A lot of people pump salt water yabbies(nippers) and use them, i have heard that they work well with the yellow belly. I have tried the small red claw a number of times but have not had much sucess with them. By all accounts you are better off using the fresh water shrimps. If you get some of the opera house traps with the fine black netting you will also catch shrimps as well as the red claw, obviously this works better if you leave them in over night.
Catch up soon.

Cheers,
John.

kingtin
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi Kev, A lot of people pump salt water yabbies(nippers) and use them, i have heard that they work well with the yellow belly. I have tried the small red claw a number of times but have not had much sucess with them. By all accounts you are better off using the fresh water shrimps. If you get some of the opera house traps with the fine black netting you will also catch shrimps as well as the red claw, obviously this works better if you leave them in over night.
Catch up soon.

Cheers,
John.

Thanks John. 2 of the pots were the fine mesh concertina pots as I was hoping to catch some shrimp...............I guess I shouldn't have added rockmelon to 'em as these were the pots that pulled the biggest redclaw. How the big buggers got in there, I don't know but there was 23 in one of them and they were packed in like sardines in a can...........there were some shrimp in there but they were pretty mashed up.

lethal
06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
i've never done any good on yabbys as bait but with the shrimp they dont last 30seconds in the water

kingcray
07-03-2012, 06:41 PM
137 from 8 pots today. the large and medium are going in a sweet chilli, garlic and ginger sauce, the little tackers I've frozen for bait.

Gday Kingpin,
If you dont mind me asking, were you landbased? I had a walk around there on sunday a few spots n there were a few about.

Deano

kingtin
07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Gday Kingpin,
If you dont mind me asking, were you landbased? I had a walk around there on sunday a few spots n there were a few about.

Deano

No Deano, out in a yak on the steep drop offs.