PDA

View Full Version : AGM batery for electric.

sharkymark2
06-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I have purchased a 3.2 Sea Jay Nomad and a 54lb watersnake transom model to do some freshwater fishing. I am now looking for a AGM battery for it. Anybody got some suggestions what battery would be suitable and where the best deal fo it is? My wife and I weigh in around 170 kilo plus fishing gear and boat. I have seen some Ritar 120 amp around $260-295. I am on the southside. Once the weather fines up (if ever) I will be off to explore Wivenhoe.
Thanks to any who offer help.
Mark.

TheRealAndy
06-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Here is a tip. Dont waste your cash unless you want to mount it upside down or the like. A flooded lead acid will outlast any AGM provided you keep it charged and keep up the maintenance.

Let the flames commence from the AGM owners :P

NAGG
06-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Here is a tip. Dont waste your cash unless you want to mount it upside down or the like. A flooded lead acid will outlast any AGM provided you keep it charged and keep up the maintenance.

Let the flames commence from the AGM owners :P

:angryfire: ......... sorry - it's the only thing that had fire in it ;D

AGMs are the primo choice for a leccy motor ........ & will out last even the best lead acid batteries
For starters the AGM can be discharged to a lower state than a acid battery...... without damage
Then they can be recharged quicker.
Will maintain their charge for longer ......
will withstand a pounding -
No maintenance .

Yes you will pay $400ish plus for a 100amp battery - but if compared to a quality acid battery like a trojan ($250ish) . It's money well spent!

Chris

TheSaint
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Head to Battery Traders @ Slacks Creek & go get Full River AGM mate..

I paid $300 a piece for my 105amp ones & i think it was $330 for 120amp one..

TheRealAndy
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
:angryfire: ......... sorry - it's the only thing that had fire in it ;D

AGMs are the primo choice for a leccy motor ........ & will out last even the best lead acid batteries - Not True. You get more cycles from flooded lead acid.
For starters the AGM can be discharged to a lower state than a acid battery...... without damage - Not true, they are the are about the same. Maybe you mistake this for the fact AGM have a higher rate of discharge.
Then they can be recharged quicker. - Only if you have a bigger charger
Will maintain their charge for longer ...... - When not being used - ie shelf life
will withstand a pounding - Ok, this is true, but a good deep cycle is pretty rugged
No maintenance . - low maintenance, you don't have to add water.

Yes you will pay $400ish plus for a 100amp battery - but if compared to a quality acid battery like a trojan ($250ish) . It's money well spent! You would be better off buying a truck battery and using it as a deep cycle than a trojan.

Chris

Done this argument to many times on here before...