PDA

View Full Version : 5m+ Centre Console - Sea Jay?

For Steve
05-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking about a aluminum centre console in 5 to 5.5m range, second hand up to 5 years old. Sea Jay Haven have 5m and 5.4m models.

Has anyone had experience with these boats? Build quality etc.

What other makes/models are worth considering?

Thanks,
For Steve

NAGG
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm getting a 5.0m side console barra masta built right now - you certainly wont be disappointed with the build quality . When you hear another reputable builder acknowledge their boats ..... you take comfort .

time will tell if they live up to their reputation

Chris

Matt76
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Buy my 5.3m platey!

(it's in the classifieds)

Moonlighter
05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Sea-jay are one of the most respected brands out there. Better by it than the biggest Telewater brands when you look closely at their construction.

I'd be happy to have one.

Cheers

ML

Kondo 1
05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I'll vouch for sea jay quality, I have a territory and it is a top unit, very solid and very well made.

Nagg - good choice on the Barra Masta, I have been toying with the idea of ditching the territory for the 5.0 Barra Masta... what engine are you going with? Make sure you post a review when you get it on the water :)

NAGG
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I'll vouch for sea jay quality, I have a territory and it is a top unit, very solid and very well made.

Nagg - good choice on the Barra Masta, I have been toying with the idea of ditching the territory for the 5.0 Barra Masta... what engine are you going with? Make sure you post a review when you get it on the water :)

The barra masta will have a Yammi F70 pushing it along ........ Should be a pretty good match .

Chris

Marlin_Mike
05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll vouch for the Allycraft 5.1mt reef Prince Centre Console. had mine 6 years never missed a beat, nice fat beam, handled everyhting thrown at it by the seas. had a 75 mariner 2 stroke, good match with that outboard.

I took it everywhere, cape Moreton, Top of Hervey Bay/Fraser, it just motored on , never cracked a weld, never at anytime ever worried or felt she couldnt handle what was thrown at it., Highly recommend this CC .

Mike

Tangles
05-03-2012, 08:25 PM
i had a Sea Jay Territory, great quality and name and i cant see how you can go wrong with them,

bf90
05-03-2012, 08:34 PM
used to head off morton in a sea jay 5.35 they are a bloody good boat strong as an ox the newer 5.0 requires a long shaft donk while the 5.4 requires a xlong donk myself I have a tabs half cab, the hull is the same as a cc they are very strong also have had mine 4 months and have put it through some very rough stuff with out blinking an eye go and have a chat to dean from south easterly marine on the gold coast and he will take you for a tour of the factory and show you how these boats are made put a tabs along side a seajay and the tabs is heavier and wider and has more floor ribs it was a hard decision for me between the tabs and the seajay both are around the same price Tabs has been around for near 10 years and seajay has been around a lot longer pro's use both brands just my 2 cents worth cheers Brad.

propdinger
05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
i have used and still using a 5.2mtr seajay for 13years and no cracked welds or repairs to the hull and we have carried alot of weight and been in some bad seas just keeps on going had 3 motors in that time, ride is good for a tinny. use it from creeks to 60 odd km out. great for what we do

timddo
05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
used to head off morton in a sea jay 5.35 they are a bloody good boat strong as an ox the newer 5.0 requires a long shaft donk while the 5.4 requires a xlong donk myself I have a tabs half cab, the hull is the same as a cc they are very strong also have had mine 4 months and have put it through some very rough stuff with out blinking an eye go and have a chat to dean from south easterly marine on the gold coast and he will take you for a tour of the factory and show you how these boats are made put a tabs along side a seajay and the tabs is heavier and wider and has more floor ribs it was a hard decision for me between the tabs and the seajay both are around the same price Tabs has been around for near 10 years and seajay has been around a lot longer pro's use both brands just my 2 cents worth cheers Brad.

I thought tabs have stringers welded to the bottom sheets.

For Steve
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
G'day Ausfishers

Thank you for all the replies. There is some very helpful information here.

blindwalrus
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
My old man had a 4.75 haven cc for 3 to 4 years. Great boat. We used to fish the creeks aswell as the 70km grounds out from Rosslyn Bay - Yeppoon. Travelling those sort of km's in a pressed tinny (in sometimes choppy conditions) we thought some of the welds were sure to go. But the only welds that ended up giving way were the ones in the cc tray.

Only reason he traded her was for a small creek tinny as my brother bought a big platey to fish out wide in.

NAGG
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM

For me it was down to Tabs Vs Seajay ....... I would have been happy with either or but in the end the configuration of Seajay won me over ( and that the dealer sold Yammis and was around the corner).... but in reality (either or )
btw .... had Dean (Tabs) offered me what he did from the outset ...... I would have ordered the TABs.

Chris

PS ... The direct communication with Seajay has been fantastic ....... have managed a fair bit of customisation during the build

bf90
07-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought tabs have stringers welded to the bottom sheets.

timddo a true plate from tabs will have stringers welded to the bottom sides yes mine is a 4 mm pressed bottom and it has the square floor ribs instead of the usual top hat ribs that most other boats have cheers mate

bf90
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
For me it was down to Tabs Vs Seajay ....... I would have been happy with either or but in the end the configuration of Seajay won me over ( and that the dealer sold Yammis and was around the corner).... but in reality (either or )
btw .... had Dean (Tabs) offered me what he did from the outset ...... I would have ordered the TABs.

Chris

PS ... The direct communication with Seajay has been fantastic ....... have managed a fair bit of customisation during the build

Chris I would love to catch up with you when you get your new toy to compare the quality of the two boats hey My gut feeling is the seajay will be better finished as far as welds look on the top sides ect I sure cant complain about the paint finish on the tabs as it is like a finish on a car. cheers and tigh lines Brad

NAGG
07-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Chris I would love to catch up with you when you get your new toy to compare the quality of the two boats hey My gut feeling is the seajay will be better finished as far as welds look on the top sides ect I sure cant complain about the paint finish on the tabs as it is like a finish on a car. cheers and tigh lines Brad

Having been through the TABs factory - I dont think it will be a battle of the finish ........ both builders seem to do a pretty good job . In the end it was things like a bigger cast deck & bigger / deeper front hatch. The use of piano hinges , removable bait board (no charge) & bigger fuel capacity (490 Tabs vs 5m seajay).... enough to clinch it

Chris

troy
08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Having been through the TABs factory - I dont think it will be a battle of the finish ........ both builders seem to do a pretty good job . In the end it was things like a bigger cast deck & bigger / deeper front hatch. The use of piano hinges , removable bait board (no charge) & bigger fuel capacity (490 Tabs vs 5m seajay).... enough to clinch it

Chris
Nagg, just did a search Tabs have 3ml bottom and sides =Seajay 4ml bottom 3ml sides.
Did this come into your decision to go with the Seajay.
Troy

NAGG
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Nagg, just did a search Tabs have 3ml bottom and sides =Seajay 4ml bottom 3ml sides.
Did this come into your decision to go with the Seajay.
Troy

Hi Troy - the 4mm is in the plate version - It's 3mm & 3mm for the Barra Masta which is the same as TABs ........

Chris

troy
08-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi Nagg, had a look at the 5.1 Seajay Striker.
Very expensive but look the goods only trouble is that you cannot go through a dealer and have to deal with Seajay which is to far away for me to even have a look.
Troy

NAGG
08-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi Nagg, had a look at the 5.1 Seajay Striker.
Very expensive but look the goods only trouble is that you cannot go through a dealer and have to deal with Seajay which is to far away for me to even have a look.
Troy

nice boat .... but yeh you deal direct for the plate hulls , Troy glass is very good to deal with though ........ certainly a substantial boat

Chris