PDA

View Full Version : Can 2wd ute pull boat out?

WalrusLike
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi, I did a search but couldnt find out...

I am thinking of buying a 5.3 mtre fibreglass boat but dont know if my 2wd Petrol manual Hilux ute will have traction on boat ramps. Its a Haines Signature F530 with a 100hp Merc.

Utes are light in the back and I sometimes have traction troubles on hills, so I wonder about the ramp. I know there is some load from the boat but on the angle I dont think there is much tongue weight. And an empty trailer might be difficult too.

Anyone have a similar setup that works? Thanks for any advice.

FishHunter
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
You shouldnt have a issue if you have a decent brand of tyre. Chuck a few bags of sand in the back if you are really worried about it. I have no wheelspin at all with my Commodore on the steep ramps here not even with mud at the bottom.

Si
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
gday, i use to tow a 5.3m haines fibreglass boat with a 115hp on the back with my 2wd hilux manual ute. Had some interesting moments and to be honest i wouldn't recommend it. If you have to make sure you have good tyres. i used to tow my boat up and down the coast a bit and it did it ok but was over the cars towing capacity.

Si
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
i had a 4 cylinder 2.7l petrol engine btw. it struggled a bit.

Matt76
04-03-2012, 08:09 PM
My triton ute never has traction issues with my 1.8t boat or empty trailer, even on the gravel ramp I sometimes use. Don't rev it, low revs and ease the clutch out is the key.

Nathan Tuskes
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
same here my triton with open rear diff never had any problems pulling 2.2t of boat out at raby bay, southport and the pin when i had 205 highway tyres on it

rosco1974
04-03-2012, 08:30 PM
use to pull my 610 makocraft with a 07 hilux was a v6 auto but...never had trouble on a ramp

Gon Fishun
04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
If in doubt, BT50 has the clout.;D

gpz1991
04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Towed 2t of boat in and out of some average ramps with 2wd rodeo for 4 years no problem,

Prior to that with XR6 ute;D

LittleSkipper
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
DI diesel torque for towing anything is the way to go.:thumbsup:

WalrusLike
05-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks fellas for the info. Sounds like it is do-able.

wacoaus
05-03-2012, 06:38 AM
should be able to as long as you dont pick too steep or slippery ramp. i used to tow a 5m with a 6cyl wb ute and currently tow a 4.5 fibreglass runabout with a mitsubishi lancer Because i cant afford a new car yet but changes fuel economy from 7.8ltrs per hundred to about 17.5)

Si
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
its doable but remember your car is not rated to tow that load and playing the devils advocate, if it shears off while traveling and ends up killing someone or causing damage i'm not sure you would be covered by your insurance.

Homer_Jay
05-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I reckon you will be right, just!
As mentioned, pick your ramps. Move the axle on the trailer back if needed to get plenty of towball weight.

I have a 2.7lt Hilux and I actually used it to tow my V19C (when it had the sterndrive and she was HEAVY) .... yes, yes I know, highly iilegal, but I lived 1k from the ramp and it was a one off. (never again)
Ramp was good wasnt low tide, not real good for the clutch though!
Your boat would be a lot lighter, so I reckon you will be right, if you have the trailer set up right.
I think they are rated to 1.7tonne?? (I may be wrong) So, legally you should be good to go.

Aaron

WalrusLike
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Um... It's looking like I need to check the towing laws. I know what's in the manual isn't always the same as what the law says.

I am in Qld so I need to check both my manual and the Qld law.

Homer_Jay
05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Whatever the manufacturer states, in QLD
as long as the towbar/ball/ect is rated at equal or above (check your towbar, as there was a light duty Hayman Reece towbar put on by some dealers that was only rated to 1200kg's)

On, and brakes on anything over 750kgs (but I assume you have these!)

WalrusLike
07-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Just an update for anyone in same situation I was....

I have now bought a 5.75m Baysport. All up around 1.5 tonne I think.

The ute pulls it ok but struggles over gateway bridge or on long uphill highway sections. There is a fair amount of weight on the Towbar which seems to make it tow better than it would if it was lighter. It doesn't sway or misbehave. I have been up to 100km/hr and seems fine.

The clutch isn't delighted pulling out at ramp but it does the job no real fuss. Yesterday I pulled out from Rudy Maas at low low tide and the ute tires spun a bit till they got a grip but reasonably confident it will get it out even when slippery. It doesn't spin if the ramp is dry.

So all up I am very happy and no longer feel a pressing need to get a 4wd ute. (but that would be nice..)

trueblue
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I won't tow with anything but a 4 w d now. too many times have been caught on ramps at low tide in slippery conditions, or trailer wheel hanging off the ramp a bit. yesterday I would not have got my boat back on without the 4 wd. I backed the trailer down till the rear trailer tyre was still on the ramp, good park brake ets and by the time I had winched it on (no option of driving it on) the vehicle and trailer had slid back till the back tyre of the trailer was off the ramp. definite 4wd to get out.

I refuse to be limited to a small handful of ramps, want to go wherever I want, whenever I want

FishHunter
08-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I won't tow with anything but a 4 w d now. too many times have been caught on ramps at low tide in slippery conditions, or trailer wheel hanging off the ramp a bit. yesterday I would not have got my boat back on without the 4 wd. I backed the trailer down till the rear trailer tyre was still on the ramp, good park brake ets and by the time I had winched it on (no option of driving it on) the vehicle and trailer had slid back till the back tyre of the trailer was off the ramp. definite 4wd to get out.

I refuse to be limited to a small handful of ramps, want to go wherever I want, whenever I want

So far I can do that with my Commodore.

trueblue
08-04-2012, 11:38 AM
So far I can do that with my Commodore.

fair enough, but you must have a light weight boat

FishHunter
08-04-2012, 11:52 AM
fair enough, but you must have a light weight boat

About the 1500kg mark its the boat in my avatar

trueblue
08-04-2012, 04:06 PM
mine comes in at 2.1t fully loaded. makes a big difference to towing requirements

johncar
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
That's good news WalrusLike, You just have to try these things some times. I also tow with a 2WD dual cab BT50 and the boat is over 3tonne, but the ute has large wheels/tyres and diesel automatic. It seems to do it easily. Keeping the revs low and adequate weight on the towball will perhaps be the key.
I have owned a few 4WD's but sick of the extra costs just for the very odd time it's handy. Different if I did some offroading but I don't so it seems a waste.
I tend to chock the front wheels anyway so the car should never slip back, I also don't sink the trailer very far, just covering the back tyre and use the electric winch so I tend to keep out of the soup.
I agree though that If I wanted the freedom to just lanch anywhere, anytime a 4WD may be needed at times
All the best with your new boat.

Dean1
08-04-2012, 09:38 PM
We towed a 2 tonne+ pacific platey for yrs with a Ford 6cyl auto panelvan/ute from Brissie to sunny coast. No dramas at ramps..

Crocodile
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Hello WalrusLike,
If the ramp is not too busy and there is room, when reversing down the ramp, at the last moment make the trailer do a jack-knife, then load the boat.
That means that when starting off the car is only swinging the drawbar sideways for the first meter or so, that is often enough to get it all rolling and save the clutch.
I have watched 161 HK Holden ute, three speed, tow a 21' foot Haines up the ramp that way.
Spinning the wheels is an good too, cheaper to wear out the tyres than replace the clutch.

tunaticer
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
The next two months will be your hardest period of the year. I noticed just the slightest bit of moss starting on the ramp this morning walking my yak down and i started to skate a little, this normally lasts to about the beginning of June in SEQ from my observations.

2wd utes usually do not have much problem retrieving a boat from a ramp as long as the trailer does not drop a tyre over the end. If in doubt you could always throw two or three sand bags right in the rear of the tray each time you take the boat out, that will ensure weight over the axles.

WalrusLike
09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys for the tips and the good wishes... It seems to be all good so far.

trymyluck
09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
As long as within legalities then you shouldn't have too many dramas but the chance of getting caught out is there. A pro up here used to use a ford ute, au I think. All ok until he winched the boat on with a boatfull of wet nets and lifted the back wheels off the ramp, you can imagine the result.

Mark

WalrusLike
17-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to update old thread to help future folk searching this topic.

The ute manages just fine on all the ramps we have tried so far.... All good ramps though. Haven't had to do any wheel spinning so far.

Also it tows fine at highway speeds now I keep the Bimini down for towing.