PDA

View Full Version : Seabreeze and the "accurate" forecasts...

Drifty75
02-03-2012, 11:48 PM
So there's been quite a bit of fresh around, haven't been out in a while and having some time available this weekend, I thought I'd make the effort before it blows up next week.

Seabreeze shows tonight should be a beautiful night for the boat... So I spend the afternoon getting everything ready etc.. I drive down to Clontarf around 10pm and it's blowing pretty bloody hard!! I figure it must be a sudden gust so I though it would drop off after a half hour or so.... Or so I thought..

It must have been 30 knotts by the time I came back in!! I only stayed out for an hour... How far out of whack can Seabreeze be... Grrr

/end rant

Axl
03-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Seabreeze has let me down many times as well it certainly has no real accuracy about it. I use the BOM and simply have a look at the trees over the road in the school, if they are moving around to much I dont go.

bf90
03-03-2012, 02:47 AM
I was heading out to the 33's this morn but bom says a change will come through this morning and seabreeze says not!! I would normally be heading to Raby ramp about now although it is not too bad at the moment at my house I just dont trust these weather guys if both say good cond then I go if one or the other is not the same report as the other then I stay put as I feel it is better to be safe than sorry cheers guys Brad

Mossy247
03-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't be taking any weather pages as gospel, check them all and take a middle. At the end of the day weather forecasting especially this time of year isn't easy.

Triple
03-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Seabreeze gets their info from the BOM and so does nearly all of the common weather sites.
Read the disclosure at the bottom of seabreeze page -
Data for the wind & wave graphs sourced from our weather stations, the Bureau Of Meteorology (http://www.bom.gov.au/) (BoM),
NOAA (http://www.noaa.gov.au/) , and other sources. Wind & Tide data © Copyright Commonwealth of Australia, Bureau of Meteorology (http://www.bom.gov.au/) (BoM) )..

And Willysweather -
Our weather information is based on data supplied by the Bureau of Meteorology (http://www.bom.gov.au/)

And BOM cover their ass with this comment at the top -
Please be aware Wind gusts can be 40 percent stronger than the averages given here, and maximum waves may be up to twice the height

It's just "weather" or not they update their own site quickly with the new data from BOM or interpret the BOM info correctly.

bigjudge
03-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I also have been caught by both seabreeze and willyweather, nothing worse than a boat load of bait,ice,fuel,only to get to the boat ramp to be confronted by a 15 to 20 knt howler.
So i have gone back to the old method of checking the 4 day forcast on the bom site and checking the charts as well as keeping an eye on the observations of the local wind measuring points.Lets face it with the price of fuel and accessaries these days we need to give our selves half a chance.
CHEERS AND BEERS.

sempre
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Doesnt Seebreeze go off one computer model which is based in the USA ?
Just what i heard anyway . BTW go fishing based on their forecast alone and your going to get hurt .
Sam.

Drifty75
06-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I guess luckily for me that I don't venture too far out. I'm happy to put up with a rough trip if where I'm going will be calm. Only Sunday afternoon I came back in what seemed to be a cyclone!! Had to idle most of the way home so I didn't pound the crap out of my boat. Though it's only 2klm trip.

:)

Smithy
06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Yeh Sam Seabreeze pretty much uses the NOAA model. BOM use their own models. They are both out. Been caught out many times one way or the other by both. You would think with all the supercomputers that have been out there for years and years now they could get it a bit better. Ultimately at the end of the day I go with BOM as the official government forecast in my line of work to cover my arse but it still catches me out.

robtarr
06-03-2012, 09:37 AM
You would think with all the supercomputers that have been out there for years and years now they could get it a bit better.

OT I know - Yet some would have us believe those super computers can tell us what's going to happen 100 years from now......

FishHunter
06-03-2012, 10:38 AM
To me Bom covers their arse with conservative forecasts. Seabreeze is a bit more optimistic and willyweather and windfinder seem to be dreaming.
The navionics forcast in my phone app seems pretty close most of the time.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

The Woo
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I've found SeaBreeze quite good, and has longer forecasts and as a bonus, easier to read, even from a mobile. The BOM, less accurate and harder to read/discect.

two dogs
06-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I think one thing to keep an eye on, especially when looking at seabreeze's forecasting is that has to essentially average the prediction out for the entire brisbane area. For example, when the day actually comes it may be nothing on land but blowing at the cape, but the general prediction likely would have been for a good day. I try to check current obs as often as i can leading up to a trip to see if predictions are holding.

fishfeeder
06-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I look at Seabreeze, Willy weather, BOM, something on iPhone and then pick the best one and go with that if I am DESPERATE for a fish.....
But normally I go with Seabreeze and BOM... but keep an eye on both for 4 days leading up to when I want to go fishing.. atleast then you can see how close there predictions are and get a better GUESS at what its going to be like...

Seabreeze was spot on last Saturday with the change coming through around midday !!

ScottB
06-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi All,

Like most, I have been burnt by both providers. I think that seabreeze is more into predicting what is going to happen right on the coast as opposed to a few miles out to sea. Plenty of times when sebreeze has called for less than 10kts all day, we go out wide and get hammered, but then it glasses off and is a beautiful day on the coast as we come back in (usually running from the horrendous weather.....

The BOM's new graphical forecasts look pretty good, has anyone been using them with any success??

Regards

Scott

gpz1991
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I look at Seabreeze, Willy weather, BOM, something on iPhone and then pick the best one and go with that if I am DESPERATE for a fish.....
But normally I go with Seabreeze and BOM... but keep an eye on both for 4 days leading up to when I want to go fishing.. atleast then you can see how close there predictions are and get a better GUESS at what its going to be like...

Seabreeze was spot on last Saturday with the change coming through around midday !!

Watch most of the above Elders weather helps sometimes, watch the weather for week or more when traveling more that 2 hours away

ozscott
13-03-2012, 07:17 AM
WhEre is the wind prediction menu on the navionics iPhone app? Cheers

FishHunter
13-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I know nothing about scrapple but on Android apps its either under settings on the old app or under the i button on the new app.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk