PDA

View Full Version : Lifejacket Signs

justinsmith
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi

Not sure how many are aware of this but now all rec. vessels are required to display a sign of where the lifejackets are stowed or face a $200 fine.

A

Cheers

Further info on http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/News-media-releases/News-life-jacket-stowage.aspx

gruntahunta
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Justin...Only if they are not clearly visible...if you can see them, you do not need a sign

justinsmith
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
yeah thats exactly right,
trouble is on bigger boats they tend to be kept in cabins or lockers... easily fixed with a spend of $13 from Whitworths for a sticker, might as well buy them for the flares, fire-extinguishers too as that will be the next thing....

rowanda
01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
the stickers are free from maritime in NSW...(about the only thing we aren't screwed for down here)
pm me address and I'll post you some....$13 is a joke!!

MTAQ/BTAQ
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I just purchased one from Whitworths for $10 for my commercial vessel - you also have the alternative of orally informing the passengers of the location of the PFDs - the sign must be white writing on a red background or red writing on white.

captain rednut
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM
M S Q are giving them out free at pinkenba and they have also given to lots of tackle shops to hand out. So keep your eye out they are white with red writing.

MTAQ/BTAQ
02-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I actually attended a meeting for boat licence providers at MSQ Pinkenba about 2 weeks ago, they made no mention of free stickers, they did mention they must be red and white as one guy had the stickers made professionally for his boat but his boat is yellow and black so has lifejacket sign was black on yellow which is non compliant!

captain rednut
02-03-2012, 07:20 AM
i was at the same seminar at sanggate two weeks ago at the volunteer marine rescue and they were handing them out. they said there will be more distributed thru tackle shops and chandleries?? who knows they probably ran out.

timddo
02-03-2012, 08:36 AM
It easier just to post it to each registered boat owner - How simple is that

Argle
02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
It easier just to post it to each registered boat owner - How simple is that

Now that would just make sense and you should know that ANY government department is incapable of doing anything that actually makes sense - shame on you for thinking such nonsense!

Triple
02-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Sending them out seems like a good idea BUT.. We always whinge about the gov wasting our money. Over 250000 registered boats in qld alone.. Probably half of those won't require a sticker due to vests already being visible so 250000 postage $$$ and over 100000 stickers that would go in the bin.. What would that cost? Compared to doing a few small batch runs of the stickers and go and get one if you need it.. Plus theres a better chance of them receiving more income from fining you cause you didn't go get one .

Tailortaker
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I just phoned MSQ and asked where they are available as I cant seem to find them anywhere ,,,they told me that they have some on hand and will post me one at no charge.

Seahorse
02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
So I that take effect immediately? What about the fine?

Moonlighter
02-03-2012, 09:55 PM
This new rule is one of the biggest crocks that I have seen come out of George St in a long time. Ridiculous stuff. Obviously written by some do-gooder shiny- arse sitting in their office who has no experience or knowledge of recreational boating in reality.

Seems to be yet another dill applying commercial boating/fishing ideas in the recreational setting. Just ridiculous and will not save one life, but will make some bozo in MsQ feel good about themselves.

We should be fighting this, because before long we'll need to take a posse of lawyers in every fishing trip, there will be so many stupid rules to follow.

ML

googarra
02-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Sorry Moonlighter, I might have to back the 'for' for this one, at least for larger boats.

In my earlier years I made sure that everyone on board was given a tour of where everything was, all fire extinguishers, life jackets, flares ect ect right down to the spare keys if I 'flip out, loose the plot and jump overboard.

But time has me getting lax about it and I was often thinking about making sure people would know where everything was, but did not do anything about it.

My life jackets are three a side under each bunk, lift the matress, lift the protector, remove the wood/glass cover slide them along, bingo, there they are, get them out. I can carry 8 people and throw the extras on the bunks, they would only see 2 jackets if the sh!t hit the fan as I put them on the bunks.

It is my responsibility to ensure all on board know where they are and can get to them.

Its just a little sticker that could make a difference if time is critical. I have my own vinyl sign cutter, have made a few for friends, and will make some for my boat, each side with a little arrow.

Sorry, I think they are right.

Little emergency stickers are all over the place, bus windows, fire extinguishers, servos, ect ect

In an emergency, someone in a panic needs a little bright sign to show them as everything in their brain dissapears in a crisis.

Moonlighter
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
You are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

95% of the time, trips on my boat ate with my family or friends who know where the gear is.

The other 5% I make sure they know before we leave the driveway.

When the brown smelly stuff is about to hit the wind oscillating device, or worse still already has, how the heck is a small yellow sign going to help anyone?

Any responsible skipper will have the crew wearing lifejackets before conditions get to the dangerous point. It's too late one it's hit the fan to tell people to get the jackets out and on. The little yellow sign ain't gonna be much help when the boats already flipped in the surf, is it!

That's my point with this rule -it really won't help in a real life emergency situation because the horse has already bolted by then.

In big, really big boats over maybe 7 or 8 meters, it might help people find them when directed to do so by the skipper, but if the skipper has time to tell them to get the jackets on, he also has time to tell them where they can be found, doesn't he!

Sheesh, I have mates who I fish with regularly who have bass boat style tinnies with fully carpeted floors from bow to stern with a dozen underfloor hatches, any of which can and do hold the lifejackets. How are they supposed to put a sticker on the carpet floor hatch? It's just to silly to contemplate how such boats could be made to comply with this new rule.

There is a general safety obligation that is already legislated for all of us who are skippers, and if they keep doing things like this to try to codify that down to minute detail, then we will end up with 5 page checklists that we will be forced to complete and have everyone sign before we leave.

Look, I have no problems with the life jacket sign being a "recommended" practice or in a guideline, but making it a rule where it is an offense is going too far.

The other issue is that any new regulatory measure is supposed to be evidence based and be justified based on it's real capability to produce positive improvements in resolving the problem it sets out to address. Doubt if enough thought and real world experience has gone into this one.

Cheers

ML

rowanda
03-03-2012, 01:55 PM
to the guys who pm'd me, your stickers will be posted on Monday.....

googarra
03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Moonlighter

You have good valid points, respecting your opinion, not trying to take that away from you, or say you are wrong.

These exact discussions and issues would have been argued around the table when they introduced this Bill.

I know it will be near impossible to label some boats to comply so I hope they are a bit flexible with it in time to come.

Maybe these and similiar issues were argued about re seat belts in cars many years ago.

rowanda
03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I believe you should put the sticker on the edge of the boat closest to where they are if not on the hatch etc itself....anyway, that's
what I was told....

Richo1
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm with you moonlighter, just another rule to make someone feel good!

Nathan Tuskes
05-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Well this has me stuffed I've got 4 hatches in the front deck of my boat and was planning to keep them in the middle hatch.... How am I suppose to label that...allot of bream/ bass guys are in the same situation....and aren't compliant

Tailortaker
05-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Got my free sticker from MSQ in the mail today.

Dodgy_Back
06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Yep,, Just rang MSQ told them that I can't find them in any shop and no one can give me any info,. So the friendly MSQ staffer suggested that they mail me a couple.

Easy, just give them a ring

fishfeeder
06-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I have agree its a waste of time and effort to label where the life jackets are.....
Makes more sense to make sure everyone knows on the boat in the first place then your job is done !!

I have 7 on my boat, 1 manual inflatable for if I take someone out who can't swim to wear while offshore. 2 in plain sight - one each side of the deck. 2 chucked on the bunks in the cabin. 2 under the center bunk cushion.. Does it mean I will still need a sticker for the ones out of sight ??

Maybe i should get the center cushion recovered with "Life jackets kept under here" put on it....

Cheers
Brett

DAVE_S
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Seams MSQ Staff help some but not others .
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, Maritime Safety Queensland doesn't have stickers to send out but we will have a limited supply available from the Tinnie and Tackle boat show at the end of this month that we will be giving out. Otherwise the stickers are available at some boating and fishing stores - some are currently out of stock but will be getting them in very soon.

Alternatively, you can make the sign yourself. The only stipulation is that the words 'life jacket' are printed in either red writing on a white background or white writing on a red background. We don't have a requirement for a size of the sign; as a guide, MSQ's stickers measure 200 mm x 30 mm and to date have proved an acceptable size in most applications.

Tailortaker
06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I phoned the Pinkenba office on 07 3860 3500 on Friday and they had them.

rowanda
06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
i still have a few left, pm me your address and I'll send you some

LittleSkipper
10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Rowan

Just a brief message to say a big "THANK YOU" for going out of your way to supply Ausfish members with those Life Jacket Sticker Signage. Received them on Friday.

Cheers
Wayne.

rocklobster
11-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I phone MSQ on thursday and they didnt want to know about it . The woman who i spoke to said it was nothing to do with them and they were not posting out or giving away anything . She was quite rude . As far as i am concerned for what we pay in regos we recieve very little especially here on the capricorn coast so sending out a sticker with you next rego bill is a little to ask .

rowanda
11-03-2012, 06:54 PM
I phone MSQ on thursday and they didnt want to know about it . The woman who i spoke to said it was nothing to do with them and they were not posting out or giving away anything . She was quite rude . As far as i am concerned for what we pay in regos we recieve very little especially here on the capricorn coast so sending out a sticker with you next rego bill is a little to ask .

pm me your address, I still have a couple and will send you some for FREE!! Just don't like seeing people charged $13 for a sticker that should be (and is in NSW) free....

Mr__Bean
11-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I have 2 boats that I will have to install the new stickers onto.

A hard top fishing boat where the vests are stowed behind a cabin door under the forward seat cushions (out of sight), and an inboard skiboat where the vests are stowed under the front deck in a forward ski locker.

Whilst I am OK with putting the stickers on, just putting a "LIFE VESTS" sticker on doesn't really improve anything other than compliance.

I will now go to the sticker place and get a couple of custom ones made:

Life Vests stowed under
forward cabin seats

Life Vests stowed under
front deck in ski locker

For red on white background (approx 100mm by 50mm) they will both cost about $30-40 I expect but at least they will add value in an emergency.

Perhaps Mr Ausfish is interested in a couple with standard wording for those with vests stowed in cabins etc.

Darren

Seahorse
11-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I got a couple from cunningham marine on Friday.
A mate of mine got picked up last sat in the pine and got a warning. They gave him a sticker, but said its automatic $200 fine. Just guess it comes down to what mood the bloke is in.

timddo
11-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I just got a whole heap of stikers and stuck it where I leave the jackets. 3 different places .I have 10 life jackets .

mylestom
12-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Still reckon it is basically a revenue raising, as if they were serious, they would have notified every boat holder about the requirement and at the very least supplied the stickers. However it would have been very simple to send the sticker to every boat holder.

To bring in a regulation, without the appropriate notification to all boaties, and the supply of stickers in the system.

First step talk nicely to the public, give them a sticker and explain the reason. Not you are facing a fine, but I will let you off this time.

Carrot not the stick.

Anyway, while the idea is good, still wonder where and what we will have to comply with next. Fuel stored here and here, Batteries here and here, Safety equipment, Fire extinguisher, Lunch, Bait, Berley bucket (For Humans). Then we can have safety grab rails, seat belts, helmets for going over the bar and I am sure they can come up with a few others.

Sometimes I think a case of common sense is not so common when it comes to all the regulations.

Yes idiots do need some help, but not everyone is an idiot, like some of these regs.

LittleSkipper
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
These regs are probably drummed up by snotty nosed little pricks in three piece suits sitting there fat asses behind desks in front of the latest model computers (compliments of the tax payer), and then get pat's on the back with a $25,000 a year pay rise all for just thinking of the idea..Grr! >:(

DAVE_S
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Hi Rowan

Just a brief message to say a big "THANK YOU" for going out of your way to supply Ausfish members with those Life Jacket Sticker Signage. Received them on Friday.

Cheers
Wayne.

I to would like to thank Rowan , mine arrived today

Mr__Bean
15-03-2012, 05:08 PM
For info, MSQ Pinkenba handed them out free of charge over the counter today.

Address here: http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/How-to-contact-us/Regions.aspx

Darren

Shawn 66
19-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Just like to publicly thank Rowanda for taking the time to obtain and send me the Lifejacket stickers .( Also at his own cost )
Thanks again Mate.
Shawn :thumbsup::dankk2::2thumbsup::tekst-toppie:

Dignity
19-03-2012, 07:06 PM
The government is an ass, you would think they could coordinate with Qld Transport and send them out with the rego labels, I just paid for 2 boats and narry a sign nor comment about life jacket stickers.

DAVE_S
19-03-2012, 08:18 PM
The government is an ass, you would think they could coordinate with Qld Transport and send them out with the rego labels, I just paid for 2 boats and narry a sign nor comment about life jacket stickers.

But they will put in a pamphlet with some sort of advertising .

johncar
20-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I just hate the sneaky way laws are passed, we taxpayers are the last to know so they can whack us with another fine for being ignorant WTF.
I am the first one to support safety at sea and it is my responsibility as skipper to educate my crew and they know where they are so for me the signs are just stupid and in many small craft just impractical. Commercial operations are different and should have them although that shouldn't negate the skippers responsibility to instruct the crew and passengers the location of survival equipment and demonstrate it's correct application.

Even though I have no intention of using them I agree it would be reasonable to at least warn boaties of these things at rego renewal or instead of some of Captain Bligh's "look at me on TV" ads, use that time for something more worthwhile.

Dignity
21-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I have been talking to quite a few boaties at work and none of them have heard bo peep about stickers. I run quite a few off on the printer and have used double side tape (the foam type) and velcro on a couple of others to position them. The velcro ones stick very nicely to bunk cushions.

bnlbes
26-03-2012, 09:05 PM
After trolling the net as i don't have access to a chandlery store I managed to find these stickers on ebay, I know some of you guys managed to find them for nothing, this little sucker cost me $6.90 delivered. I reckon a small price to pay to save a $200 fine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LIFE-JACKET-STICKER-Boat-Decal-Storage-/251012422314?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a71819aaa

Tangles
26-03-2012, 09:11 PM
They had them at the Tinnie and tackle Show but they where under the desk, you had to ask for them and got queried where your lifejackets where, they didnt freely hand them out, they seemed quite precious about them... Mike D ended up with 3 but that was after going through the routine of lifejackets in different hatches etc...

MTAQ/BTAQ
27-03-2012, 06:35 AM
I could stand corrected but the "Lifejacket" sticker must be visible if the PFDs are not obviously displayed, that is, they are in a locker OR the master informs the passengers/crew where the PFDs are located OR the PFDs are obviously on display.

strongy
27-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Got some today , Cunningham Marine selling them for $3 a pop .

Marlin_Mike
28-03-2012, 04:32 AM
So much debate over a pissy little sticker. The law says you have to have one now, right wrong or indifferent, you have to get one. Where do you get them??? Stop waiting for soemone to tell you wheer to ge tone. A little bit of investigstion will tell you where they can be sourced. You can get them anywhere. Every local weekend market has a stall or 2 with a guy and a computer/slash cutter that will make stickers, for a couple of bucks. Buy a couple. No use whinegeing, doesnt negate the necessity of needing one. I am sure even ausfish steve will make them if asked.

Suck it up, buy one and get on with it. Why whinge at MSQ for changing the laws that say you need it. Just do it. More important things troubling this world than why you need a life jacket sticker.

Mike

Dignity
29-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Mike, I agree and have done that, made a few up, laminated them and sent them to my mates. I think the real bitch here is that MSQ change the law but don't even promulgate it. I had a lot of difficulty finding it on their site and in fact couldn't find the details from their home page especially the section the related to changes on 1 January, none of the material refered to the sticker. I had to find it by that google thing and even then the design around the sticker is very loose except for the colouring, wonder how that would stand up in a court of law.

At the end of the day, the important part of the legislation that most people are missing is the bit abit "show & tell" where all the important bits are like lifejackets, flares etc.

I suspect that they recently had a reshuffle and have only recenlty moved to Qld Tpt but still there could have been a bit more clearer notification.

Marlin_Mike
29-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Mike, I agree and have done that, made a few up, laminated them and sent them to my mates. I think the real bitch here is that MSQ change the law but don't even promulgate it. I had a lot of difficulty finding it on their site and in fact couldn't find the details from their home page especially the section the related to changes on 1 January, none of the material refered to the sticker. I had to find it by that google thing and even then the design around the sticker is very loose except for the colouring, wonder how that would stand up in a court of law.

At the end of the day, the important part of the legislation that most people are missing is the bit abit "show & tell" where all the important bits are like lifejackets, flares etc.

I suspect that they recently had a reshuffle and have only recenlty moved to Qld Tpt but still there could have been a bit more clearer notification.

have to agree there alot of departments move the goal posts and dont exactly advertise it too much

Mike