PDA

View Full Version : What age of child do people start taking their children in the boat?

Still_Dreamin
29-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Having a discussion with my wife re: children in boat. She thinks they should be able to swim before they go out in a boat. I think that if they have lifejackets on and there is an adult with each child then that should be fine. My daughter is 15 months and has only just started swimming lessons and my son is nearly 4 and is fairly good in the water. I think it is a stalling tactic to stop me buying a boat for a few more years:'(. So what I want to know is how old were your kids when they started going out on your boat?

Linedropper
29-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't have kids but Dad used to take me offshore a lot from about 2/3 years of age. No idea how he got that past mum and we probably didn't have kids lifejackets onboard. I survived.

If I was a parent then I would probably do the same with my kids but they would need a life jacket on at all times and weather be good. I would even consider getting one of those liferafts in a bag in case the boat went down then junior wouldn't freeze to death in the water while we were waiting for rescue.

frankgrimes
29-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I have 2 kids - 1 + 3, I take them out with my wife(both(obviously!) with life jackets) only in the river, and only on dead calm days....only done it 2-3times(Im paranoid), but never by myself.

think about worse case scenario...accident, both adults being unconscious in water + both kids in water....that's why im paranoid.

Micadogs
29-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I took my daughter ( and wife) out for the first time 2 weeks ago. My daughter is 9 months old. We travelled from Manly to Moreton Island, spent the day on the beach and headed back home. My daughter sat and played the whole way there (just had a sleep and feed). On the way home, she slept the whole way in a cabin. Slept so hard, I pulled the boat onto the trailer and then drove the boat and trailer out of the water.

I have a 5.5 metre boat with a cuddy cabin. If you have some common sense, use propoer saftey precautions etc then it is probably more safe than driving on the road.

I think it will get harder as our daughter starts to get mobile though. When they can walk and climb then it is going to be harder to restrain her in the boat.

Reef Cruiser
29-02-2012, 04:39 PM
i have taken my boy fishing with me since he was 3 ,thats going out to the reef which is 30 kms out in 5 to 10 knots ... boat 18 foot half cab he allways wears a life jacket and mum holds him ,,, if i dont take him mum cops his shit all day becouse i did not take him , and he can swim not far but he has had swimming lessons ,every boady is different ,and i think all mothers worry

Kero
29-02-2012, 05:11 PM
As long as there is another adult (Mum) with you it should be fine. We took our kids out from about 1yo. They had a life jacket on at the ramp while we launched and we only took them in conditions that wouldn't frighten them. Lay off the throttle and cruise at a speed that allows them to enjoy the day without fear. Plenty of food, drinks, shade and stops at calm beaches will help to keep them occupied.

Good luck with the sales pitch to the missus ;D.

lucee81
29-02-2012, 05:31 PM
i had the young boy out on the dam first to see how he would handle it 6 months old and he absolutley loved it. Each to their own i say and everyone will have different ideas. I remember being 12 and heading out with a mate in dads 12 foot tinny (darwin harbour) the only thing that has changed these days are more realiable engines.. IMO. Dad used to drop us off in the mroning and had to be back at ramp when we were told or a get a scolding. My kids will hopefully be brought up around the water and fishing and i will have no reservations in teaching my kids (girls/boys) how to drive and handle a boat by the time they are 10 (a lot of kids these days are too sheltered IMO). But this is my ideas and everyone is allowed to have their own.
I would go with what you feel comfortable with..
Good luck with the sales pitch...

Fafnir
29-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Took my two boys out for the first time a few weeks ago now. Ages are 3 and 5. They have been doing swimming lessons since they were 6 months old, but neither could be classed as able to swim well. My rules for taking them out is:

- Always a second adult onboard. I can't watch them and keep an eye out for other boats etc at the same time.
- PFD's have to be correctly secured at all times. Not half undone or lose.
- Always in relatively calm waters.
- Only when I am not seriously fishing. Don't want to be in the middle of a good session and have to head back because boredom has taken hold.

But as others have said it's what you're comfortable with. Hope it works out for you.

Makka Nick
29-02-2012, 06:31 PM
I take both my boys out, ages 3 & 17 months. As others have mentioned, life jackets at all times, second adult and calm waters. I want to give my kids the same fond memories that my Dad gave me, they last a lifetime. My 3yo loves it! He regularly falls asleep while underway. ;D

MyWay
29-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I took my boy out he was only 8 months old
No problem at all he sleep most of time just, wake up for feed
That time I had 5.2 cady cabin boat
Stessel I think.

Midnight
29-02-2012, 07:27 PM
My little girl was 4 weeks old when she first came away with us on the boat, for a 3 day trip. She has been having swimming lessons since she was 4 months old, and is 9 months now and loves the boat. She has a life jacket for when we are in the tender.

The best age to take them, is when you and your wife are comfortable with taking them....

There is risk in everything you do in life, but I am CERTAIN my little girl is safer with me at sea in my 33 Berty, than driving down the F3 freeway!

I got my first boat when I was 8, and some of my earliest memories are of boating with my Mum and Dad when I can't have been more than 2. It becomes a way of life if you grow up with it.

The kids love it, and learn heaps.

Cheers,
Myles

Chas & Clarry
29-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Daughter at 8 months. Second adult (her mum) on board. Inshore. Crabbing...she still loves crabs and is 21 yrs old now ;D

shy guys
29-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I have to kids 4in may and 15 months both come out with not a problem as long as they have life jackets on at all times it's not a problem at all the younger you can introduce them to boating the better nothing better than time on the water with family

Richo1
29-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a 2yr old & 3yr old and have been taking them out since they were 1. Would have taken them out earlier but my wife wouldn't let me ;)
Both love it! My daughter is 3 and can swim ok, including snorkeling which is her latest trick!
I only take them out in good conditions and bail as soon it looks like getting rough! Last thing i want to do is make them scared so they wont want to come out again.
As kids we used to make Dad promise he wouldn't get angry before we would go out sailing with him; can get abit stressful if things don't go to plan, he had 3 of us to look after. He must of done alright tho as every second weekend growing up was spent on the Bay.
Give it a go, start with little short trips then build on it as yours and their confidence grows.
Cheers
Richo

Ps Never underestimate mother nature, if in doubt pull out..

johncar
29-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I agree, great memories for me when I was very young and my parents allowed us to venture out on our own in a small bondwood row boat in some the creeks around Bribie from when we were about 6YO but we grew up around boats and the water.
My children have just gone in the boat at any age from a few months old and yes their safety is our priority as in any situation with our children but they also started swimming from about 6 months old for their own safety around water in general.
I would add however that I wouldn't take small children in a boat until you as a skipper are competent and sensible with your boat. No alcohol and risky stuff, seen kids at risk plenty of times on the water with drunk adults in charge which is a bit sad.

Sheik
01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I like to take them out for their first trip when they're about 18. That way they can drive the boat, and the car, and I can sleep all the way home.

pipifin
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Two girls since age 3 and 5. They are sensible and always do as they are told (for now).
All safety precautions same as everyone else ie. Life jackets at all times and smooth water.
When I was first looking for a tinny I was looking at getting a a boat with forward control, until I was in my kayak over the Bribie side of the passage, and some idiot flew past me (in the 6 knot zone) with his son (about 7yo or so) leaning on the transom beside the motor. I watched this guy til he was out of sight, and not once did he look behind him to check on his kid, let alone other boats etc. Nothing went wrong (that I know of) but it made me realize that while my girls are still young, a tiller steer is the best for me. Means the girls are always in front of me and I can see/talk/yell/scream at them constantly.
The girls love the boat, but the oldest one is still a bit emotionally scarred when it comes to fishing.... she thinks every fish we catch is going to be a pike eel and she freaks LOL. She'll get over it.