PDA

View Full Version : Wooden carving from fiji

outta line
28-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Went to fiji for a wedding 2 weeks ago. When i saw this carving said thats going straight to the POOL ROOM. It arrived today still in one piece ( was wondering if they would still have their beaks ). Its carved out of one solid piece of wood 1m high 400mm wide 200mm thick at the base and being carved 360 deg gives you different detail on all angles . The turtle is a symbol of luck in fiji and is a place i will be heading back to.
hope the pic do it justice ..........cheers mick7742277423774247742577426774277742877429

Lovey80
28-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Mind divulging what that bad boy set you back all up?

choppa
29-02-2012, 09:46 AM
hey mick,,, that is sensational,,, now if only i can get the wood lathe out of the back shed,,, and get a chunk of wood,, i'll make em,,,lol

number 2 daughter and a few of her girlfriends went there last year,,, brought back a truck load of carvings,,, and waiting for the quarantine period etc they all came home in one piece also,,, BUT nothing as great as yours

how about a trade,,, authentic fijian bow and arrow set,,, (used in the fijian war),, and i'll throw in "coconut boy" head carving,,,,

choppa

outta line
04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
hey choppa.....harhar dont know about a trade mate . but the carvings on the fijian war weapons look to good to have blood on them .Was temped to buy a few myself but decided on the bill fish carving seen a mahi mahi carving but didnt have the detail this one did.
cheers mick

ThePinkPanther
10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
As the years go by, keep a good lookout underneath it for dust like residue as stuff from Fiji and the islands is notorious for bugs and crawly things. They can have a good old feast inside for years before you spot their castings on the shelf.

Usually Quarantine treat them before you get it and and irridate them so hopefully not a problem. Looks damn nice!

Squidlet
10-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice bit of work their! Would have been a pain stakeing job that one.
Cheers Chris.

Lancair
10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Thats awesome !
From what I saw a few years back it wouldnt have been very cheap either, especially when you add on the freight to get it here. I bought a carving of a sea eagle sitting on a branch, but brought it home myself, no where near as big. I had no problems with customs, they looked, but werent concerned at all.

Dignity
11-03-2012, 06:37 PM
That looks great but my wife would have claimed it is just another dust collector, I used to reply though that she has a couple, a sewing machine and an overlocker that gets used about once every three years and needs to be serviced because they have sat too long between uses. That finally shut her up.

Still I would love a piece like the one you've got. Where in Fiji did you get it as I will be heading that way early next year.