PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude 1991 15hp Flywheel and crankshaft.

RAGINGBULL
27-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi All.

I have a small problem.
We wanted to take the Flywheel off to do some repairs to the wiring that had broken.
My son in law decided to take a hammer to the top of the flywheel.
I have fixed the burred over nut and now the flywheel will not turn, I fear the worst has happened.
Can any-one give me some advice please, will I need to remove the motor has the bearing gone or has the crankshaft gone..

Thanks in advance
Mark

The Woo
27-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Ummm, how much hammering exactly?

And what "wiring" under the flywheel were you going to fix? There's only a stator under there..... if that's popped I can only imagine the condition of the rest of it. Do you have any pics of the issue?

Spaniard_King
27-02-2012, 08:55 PM
ohhhh nasty no one can diagnose the fault from thge information given.

Possibly: bent crankshaft, colaspsed bearing, damaged ingnition plate (under flywheel)

Depends on how the the flywheel was hit really

Fed
28-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I'd pop the flywheel off.

cormorant
28-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Get a puller and pull the flywheel for a start and see what you have.

Si
28-02-2012, 05:24 PM
i gather the son in law is not your most favourite person right now?

RAGINGBULL
28-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Ok its all apart hooray.
I did make up a gear puller to suit but the flywheel would not budge, it was when I left to think about it that the beating took place LOL
Moving on
The main Journal bearing on the crankshaft has cracked into 2 pieces.
Now it is not a face to face journal so if a bearing is there it must be replaceable
How do I get the Crankshaft apart or a new bearing in

Thanks In advance guys

Cheers
Mark

Spaniard_King
28-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Mark,

The main center journal on a 15 HPP Johnson will come as a split bearing ie 2 peice bearing. I think your barking up the wrong tree ??

The Woo
28-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Agreed. The cranks dont come apart on these. The centre bearing is split.

RAGINGBULL
29-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Correct gents the bearing is split, I wrote too quickly and found out shortly after I posted..
The crank would not turn it was jammed solid with thE top crank cover off. ?
when I split the bearing the rollers fell all over the place, which I anticipated luckily.
The Crankshaft turns now that the centre bearing is off but was jammed before when it was on.
I will need put the rollers back in grease and stick them to the bearing housing side and see if the problem still exists, maybe the Crank is bent a bit? too late to do it now and I am fishing this weekend
I still have a boat and working motor.... LOL

Thanks for you help Gents