PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass and bow mount questions

rynosaurus
27-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi

I am seriously considering a bow mount electric motor for my 12ft fibreglass boat. Its an old yalta something. I havent grown up using boats in fact only got this about 3 years ago and still learning a lot about it. so i was wondering if some of you experianced ones might be able to help me out a little please.

The front bit on the bow is obviously where i would be mounting the bow mount but due to its age and being fibreglass im not real confident as to whether the motor would put a lot of strain on it or not if i were to bolt the motor on. i have attached a photo so you can see what i mean as im not real sure what is called what. (sorry im still a noob). i have sat on it many times with confidence and im 100kgs however i dont think weight would be the only issue with bolting the motor on. i was thinking thrust/torque. so would it be safe? would i need or be better with some sort of backing plate underneath or on top or both?

secondly i was thinking of getting a 54lb watersnake or minn kota (still working out what and if you have suggestions then feel free to comment) because plenty of people have them but im worried that it might be too powerful for my little boat. would it be better or should i get a smaller model?

Oh one other question (which if not answered ill ask at a supplier) on the wireless model ws and mk can you "plug in " a corded version foot pedal or does it have to be a wireless model. and with the wireless foot pedals what battterys are used?

sorry for so many questions but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
ryan

Nathan Tuskes
27-02-2012, 08:51 PM
id say your boat will be fine with a bow mount think of it this way its only 25kg of pressure put on the front of it.. stuff all.... the constant banging and vibrations are more concerning, for this i would bolt thru and put a plate or large washers on the under side to support the base. id go the minn kota bla in brisbane have a very good reputation between tournament guys for fixing electric motors if they ever break.

dunno about your wireless question sorry i can't help on that one

feel free to keep asking

cheers nathan