PDA

View Full Version : Trim and Tilt Problem

Basil2
26-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi guys having a intermitant problem with the trim and tilt on my 2002 60 mercury.Sometimes you can trim the motor up, then next time you try no go, the trim motor is trying to lift but the hydrulics are not lifting the motor. Have topped up oil, really didn't use any. Have replaced both relys but the problem continues on and off. Have spoken to a mechanic and rough quote on replacing whole unit is about $1600 with labour. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem, apparently repair/seal kits are no longer avaiable for this model cheers Basil2

Fed
27-02-2012, 08:43 AM
If you can hear the pump motor running and it will trim but not tilt then you could be seizing in the tilt tube.

Steeler
27-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Check boats net i am sure parts will still be available. Quite often Merc will obsolete a particular individual part that then needs to be purchased in a whole kit.

Ring around some Merc dealers you may get lucky and find a dealer that has been sitting on such a part in stock.

wirlybird
27-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Have you greased the bracket?

Have you undone the release screw and lifted the motor up and down manualy Is there any resistance?

boats net will have the parts you just have to narrow down a few things

Fed
27-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm sure all parts needed to do repairs are available aside from the pump motor which is supposedly a throw away item.

That would be a good test wirlybird, it seems there is a relief valve in the ram at the end of the trim section and if the tilt tube was very sticky it could bypass instead of going into the tilt section. I'd think the trim part of the ram would overcome any tightness though.
Guess we'll have to wait & see.

Basil2
27-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Have undone the screw and released pressure off ram and was able to raise and lower motor smoothly. Will check out boats net for a seal repair kit for pump, will let you know of results thanks for advice muchly appreciated cheers Basil2

wirlybird
27-02-2012, 12:06 PM
It may also be the motor itself they tend to collapse internally (The Glue breaks down behind the magnet it then falls off) but I’m not sure how to test this so it may pay to take it apart and test the resistance on the drive shaft by spinning it with your fingers it should spin freely

Fed
28-02-2012, 04:39 PM
There's something just not quite right about this basil.
Are you sure you can hear the pump motor running when the outboard fails to tilt?

Spaniard_King
28-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I just did one of these today, will post a pic tomorrow.

Changed the trim motor. and all is good. It was a 2002 4 stroke as well, the rust on the motor just has to be seen.

BM
28-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Basil, if it's only a trim motor yore quite Golden Seal Maribe in Melb have limited stock of genuine pump motors. The assembly is supposed to be replaced as a whole according to Mercury and as such they dont offer parts.

The deal Gold Seal has they cannot get again I believe. In any case aftermarket pump motors are available.

If you are certain the pump motor is running then you need to look at a binding issue somewhere in the system or a valve body issue.

Cheers

Spaniard_King
29-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I just did one of these today, will post a pic tomorrow.

Changed the trim motor. and all is good. It was a 2002 4 stroke as well, the rust on the motor just has to be seen.

This engine was doing exactly what yours is. We didnt see the hole until the trim was removed and 10mm of rust fell off it:o77437

Basil2
02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Will be removing trim and tilt off boat today all going well. have spoken with a mercury mechanic who was very helpful he gave the motor a once over and believes it to be in the pump.Will keep you posted on the results cheers Basil2

Basil2
27-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Just letting you know that the trim and tilt problems that were occuring with my outboard have now been fixed, with the replacement of 4 10cent orings. After several broken bolts a seized pin in the bottom of the ram and a broken allen key bolt in the pump it self, I was able to pull pump apart clean build ups and replace the orings that had gone rock hard. A big thanks goes to Warren at cunninghams for his advice on this matter and ausfish members input as the repair cost me under $40 not the $1600 to replace the unit which would of ment the boat would of had grass growing around it for awhile otherwise. Thanks Basil2