PDA

View Full Version : QL Trim Tabs problem

scrubba01
23-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I am having trouble with my QL trim tabs the port side is getting stuck down and won't retract when the key is turned off. It immediately goes to full down position when turned on. I have tried recalibrating them as per instructions makes no difference.
Has anybody else had this trouble and know how to fix them. I believe it may be a problem with the control board which is mounted at the back of the boat inside the hull, does any body have a spare one or know a good service agent?

Captain Seaweed
23-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I had this problem years ago with my old boat and its QL's. Mine needed to be replaced under warranty. I discovered mine when I was driving, went to trim boat then suddenly "Holy Shite" as the boat nearly throws us out, then realised what was happening when back on trailer. So yes confirming its not a calibration issue but a tab issue. I had Peter from Valet Services replace mine, he has a good relationship with supplier and worth giving him a bell. He is Grand Marlin on here or Valet Boat Services 0419 263 264.

Cheers Marty

timddo
23-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I had the same problem. Got replaced underwarranty, after i chased them for 6 weeks.

scrubba01
23-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Mine are about 3 years old I wonder how long the warranty goes for. I will give peter from Valet a call and see what he thinks.

Greg P
23-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Check all your harness connections and make sure there is no water in them. Had same on mine a few years ago and just had to relocate the main harness connection in the rear to a better spot. Been faultless after that. Best people to talk with are SeaMech under the Gateway Bridge. They are a Volvo dealer and really know there stuff and extremely helpful.

Cheers

Greg

scrubba01
24-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Have contacted seamech and they are going to have a look at them for me but believe they may be stuffed due to the mother board being exposed to water in the bilge area. They suggested that they be put in a sealed clipsal box if mounted where they can get wet. I will let you know the out come.

scrubba01
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
The mother board in the rear of the boat was stuffed due to water getting in this made it continue to try to push the port side tab down which stripped the internal gears on this tab so also had to buy a new tab. All up mother board was $220 and a tab was $300 now all sealed in a waterproof box so should fix the problems.