PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated @ Yamba - where r the mechanics

softplasticsdude79
21-02-2012, 02:57 PM
hi all,

well,yep,happened again to me,just get on a role with the fish,alls going good until we arrived at middle wall this morning,went to start the boat and nothing,not firing at all,long story short,lost the anchor,got towed for 30mins home,went straight to "Bens marine" @ Yamba with boat on the back,explained that she wont fire and i reckon coil or power pack and could he have a quick look for me,no,sorry mate im busy,was his reply,i explained i was on holidays and could he please look at it urgent and he told me best he could do is middle of next week.
have just spent the last 2 hours trying to source another mechanic and its not easy,closest i have one is an hour away.as the only marine mechanic in yamba which relies heavily on its tourism trade i would of reckoned the local mechanic could spare me 30 mins To diagnose,told him i was happy to pay cash, but not being able to even have a look at it for another week was a kick in the guts,i am feeling very frustrated and am certainly not going to reccomend Bens marine to anyone.

coucho
21-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Behn's is in Iluka isn't it? If thats not the one your talking about then you could try Mal at Behns in Iluka although its a fair haul around there. Here in Grafton skinner marine is good to deal with on the hiway in South grafton. In yamba there is(or was) a boat shop that I think did mechanical work in woolwich st which runs off angourie rd just before the sports fields can't think of the name at the moment.

theoldlegend
21-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Anyone at Maclean? I would have thought there'd be somebody there.

TOL

GABBA110360
21-02-2012, 04:34 PM
hi all,

well,yep,happened again to me,just get on a role with the fish,alls going good until we arrived at middle wall this morning,went to start the boat and nothing,not firing at all,long story short,lost the anchor,got towed for 30mins home,went straight to "Bens marine" @ Yamba with boat on the back,explained that she wont fire and i reckon coil or power pack and could he have a quick look for me,no,sorry mate im busy,was his reply,i explained i was on holidays and could he please look at it urgent and he told me best he could do is middle of next week.
have just spent the last 2 hours trying to source another mechanic and its not easy,closest i have one is an hour away.as the only marine mechanic in yamba which relies heavily on its tourism trade i would of reckoned the local mechanic could spare me 30 mins To diagnose,told him i was happy to pay cash, but not being able to even have a look at it for another week was a kick in the guts,i am feeling very frustrated and am certainly not going to reccomend Bens marine to anyone.

try john ,jason down at the marina evinrude/johnson blokes but an outboard is an outboard yes malcom behn over at iluka should be ok too and there is a guy im maclean too

GABBA110360
21-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Behn's is in Iluka isn't it? If thats not the one your talking about then you could try Mal at Behns in Iluka although its a fair haul around there. Here in Grafton skinner marine is good to deal with on the hiway in South grafton. In yamba there is(or was) a boat shop that I think did mechanical work in woolwich st which runs off angourie rd just before the sports fields can't think of the name at the moment.

that is ADAM'S MARINE

GABBA110360
21-02-2012, 04:47 PM
THE bens he is refering too is next to the bus depot not malcolm behn in iluka
malcolm in iluka is a good bloke i think yamaha from memory

softplasticsdude79
21-02-2012, 05:24 PM
this is the bens marine first right of angourie rd.

GABBA110360
21-02-2012, 05:38 PM
ive been thinking about this while i was having a shower.
S/P/DUDE i do think you have been treated rather poorly
i do know the person in question and i dont care if he reads this thread.
i would have thought that there would not be a business in this town that could afford to knock back trade but obviously i'm wrong.
i appoligise from normal yamba people.
try the boy's at the marina or mal in iluka
your money is as good as anyone else's
cheers
ken

softplasticsdude79
21-02-2012, 05:52 PM
ive been thinking about this while i was having a shower.
S/P/DUDE i do think you have been treated rather poorly
i do know the person in question and i dont care if he reads this thread.
i would have thought that there would not be a business in this town that could afford to knock back trade but obviously i'm wrong.
i appoligise from normal yamba people.
try the boy's at the marina or mal in iluka
your money is as good as anyone else's
cheers
ken

thanx ken,i will be going to see mansfield tomorrow,was going to go this arvo,but thought id sit the storm out.yeah,i also thought they would be interested in trade,in fairness he did have a few boats there being worked on,but i still thought my problem could be diagnosed by a expert very quickly,and thought he could have spared me 30 mins in the next day or 2.i will continue to try and problem solve my self,its got spark at times,its getting fuel all the time,i just pulled apart the fuel pump,diaphrams are still soft and pliable with no rubbish inside,its definately a spark issue,ill be pulling out the power pack shortly and inspecting.

braders83
21-02-2012, 06:24 PM
The guy in Iluka is good mate. Hopefully he should be able to sort you out. Let us know how you get on. IF you get desperate I do know a guy in Lismore (an hour away) who MIGHT drive down to Yamba BUT I have no idea how much he would charge you for that sort of service. Grafton might be a better option. Anyway, good luck and hope it works out.

Triple
21-02-2012, 06:52 PM
If you cant find anyone, any half decent auto mechanic could at least have a look for you to help diagnose so you could buy the right replacement parts if needed for self fitting. Motor is a motor whether it's attached to a gearbox or a leg.

trymyluck
21-02-2012, 07:34 PM
hi all,

Yep strange attitude towards tourist in a tourist town, always amazes me how a few people get that arrogant that they can not be bothered to help someone. Seen it a few times before. Its a bugger, the same happened to me many years ago and it just about drove me crazy trying to get the boat fixed........

Mark

softplasticsdude79
21-02-2012, 07:37 PM
BINGO - problem solved - money stays in my pocket,took a while (4 hours actually)with limited holiday tools,but i used a trusty old lightbulb 12v tester and found a breakdown in a powerpack wire,upon closer inspection it had a section that had breached its plastic coating and allowed water to interfere,wire was also very rusty,spliced a new piece on,checked all other wiring,good as new,took a bit of patience and problem solving,also took 2 panadol rapids.
back to the middle wall tomorrow after i buy an anchor.thanx all for your input,still annoyed that old mate wouldnt help,but glad to have it fixed,and ill keep my $100.

trymyluck
21-02-2012, 07:40 PM
You need to go back to old mate and rub it in that he just blew an easy buck.........

GABBA110360
22-02-2012, 04:57 AM
You need to go back to old mate and rub it in that he just blew an easy buck.........

i wouldnt bother let him SLEEP in his own little world

well down s/p/dude

theoldlegend
22-02-2012, 06:23 AM
BINGO - problem solved - money stays in my pocket,took a while (4 hours actually)with limited holiday tools,but i used a trusty old lightbulb 12v tester and found a breakdown in a powerpack wire,upon closer inspection it had a section that had breached its plastic coating and allowed water to interfere,wire was also very rusty,spliced a new piece on,checked all other wiring,good as new,took a bit of patience and problem solving,also took 2 panadol rapids.
back to the middle wall tomorrow after i buy an anchor.thanx all for your input,still annoyed that old mate wouldnt help,but glad to have it fixed,and ill keep my $100.

That's good to hear spd. That's $100 you can spend on jigheads and sp's.

TOL

Jarrah Jack
22-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Well done Dude. Makes me wonder what he may have found, tourists being easy prey.

gruntahunta
22-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey Adam

Atre you using Slam Plastics...if so how they going?

pescados
22-02-2012, 02:46 PM
i wouldnt bother let him SLEEP in his own little world

well down s/p/dude

Fully agree with that.
With that attitude the guy will run out of customers sooner or later.