PDA

View Full Version : Going overseas

martib
21-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey all I'm heading to India at the end of the year and will be spending a couple of days in Singapore on the way home.
I was wondering if anyone knows can you buy fishing gear there such as sounders and electric motors and ifso what type of price are they compared to ours.
Any info would be great.
Cheers marty

Marlin_Mike
21-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't know about any pricing, but you can buy just about anything you want there. Just be wary of warranty issues, being international, may not get warranty in Australia

Mike

Bros
21-02-2012, 01:15 PM
From what I have been told by visitors there is that Singapore is't cheap any more. When I was there 15yrs ago it was marginal but I believe it has got worse. My son who has been there a bit recently tells me the traders are bitterly complaining about ebay taking their business.
Last time I was there I was passing through in 2008 and browsed around the airport shops and they were as dear as poison.

fez
21-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Martib,

Where in India are you heading? I spent a month there late last year, interesting place.

Singapore is no longer cheap as a rule, however there are still some places that you can pick up some cheapish gear you need some local help though, but as the others have said, warranty is an issue, especially if you are getting it from a "cheaper" place. I would look to get something from here or from the states with the strength of the Aussie dollar.

fez

martib
22-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Northern India looking forward to it.
Sounds like I'm better off getting something here. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Cheers Marty

clevelandv8
22-02-2012, 11:26 AM
yup singapore is no longer cheap for anything in general.
i'm based in Hong Kong, the power of the aussie is your best bet.... don't buy clothes/shoes anything for a year, then buy a ticket to the states and buy it all, with the savings then spent on fishing gear!

Te Whiti
22-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Marty

Send me a PM if you want, I live in Singapore and have done so for 9 years, I buy most my fishing gear here and know that it's cheaper than buying in Australia on most stuff, you just need to know where the shops are. the price advantage isnt as good as it was say 5 years ago but it's still better on the whole.

I bought a Furuno radar the other day from the Furuno dealer here..... A lot cheaper than back home and still carries the warranty as they are a registered worldiwde Furuno dealer.

clevelandv8
23-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Marty

Send me a PM if you want, I live in Singapore and have done so for 9 years, I buy most my fishing gear here and know that it's cheaper than buying in Australia on most stuff, you just need to know where the shops are. the price advantage isnt as good as it was say 5 years ago but it's still better on the whole.

I bought a Furuno radar the other day from the Furuno dealer here..... A lot cheaper than back home and still carries the warranty as they are a registered worldiwde Furuno dealer.

And this is why I love forums....... well done Te Whiti!!!!

Likewise if anyones coming via HK.... i'm happy to give you some tips, not so much on the fishing side unfortunately!!

martib
26-02-2012, 06:37 AM
hey mark hopefully you read this your inbox full
cheers marty

Te Whiti
26-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Sorry Marty, I've cleared a few of my private messages now...