PDA

View Full Version : RED EMPORER and a feed off moreton saturday

tinsanity
19-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Went out from manly harbour this morning to arrive at hutchies just after first light.We sounded around for 20 mins before finding a large school of fish on the sounder worthy of a drift.Upon our first drift we had soundings showing fish directly under the boat so i looked down to see and large school of snapper to around 5kg and then like clockwork one of our rods bends over.Thinking we obviously hooked one of the snapper out of the school we had seen i was very suprised to see a just under legal red emporer come to the surface after a pic on my phone after we realised the digital camera was dead :( disappointing as i would have liked to get some underwater footage of the snapper school and also see if there was anymore reds amongst them.also would like to know of anyone else has encountered them off moreton/straddy and if this is not that uncommon!after that we managed a nice 4kg spangle. so after that the wind kicked up a little and a few rainy squalls moved in so we had a troll there for about an hour and a half with no result. moved down to shallow tempest and finally the rain eases a long enough to get the lines back in and on the first cast caught a nice cobe around 12kg.not much more interest after that so we moved wide to our pearly/snapper spot where we proceeded to fill our bag of squire between 45-55cm also thrown in there was 3 pearlies up to 60cm.the 70 to 80metre line definitely has been a little more consistant than the shallows lately but all the larger fish have come from the shallows we have found.sorry no pics of the rest wasnt anything special.

The Woo
19-02-2012, 06:56 PM
'twas a great weekend to be on the water, I'm jealous :)

Pretty little Red too. It's been several years since, but I have struck them (rarely!) on and around the Cape reefs, even caught one on a bait jig at the old "Bird Cage" many years ago!

Bull
19-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the report and pic. Glad you got out and got some good fish.
I caught 2 x Red Emperor inside Moreton a couple years ago they were both under size. I bet there has been a few legal ones caught.
Cheers Bull

Captain Seaweed
19-02-2012, 07:54 PM
mate this is a rare catch indeed well done!

castamasta
19-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Good report mate well done,ive caught a few off the sunny coast,all just under size,and released of course.I do know a guy who catches them fairly often,wont tell me where tho,bugger.
Cheers Gav.

3rd degree
19-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Memorable catch undersize or not! I got an undersize version on a plastic at Brennans a few years back...

Cheers
Jim

burleygu
20-02-2012, 04:14 PM
mate got one at 58cm red emperor out at hutchies just before xmas! over the last 6 years we have caught numerous undersize ones at caloundra wide arkwright shoal and caloundra 12 mile so some of those pups are starting to get up to size!! good times!