PDA

View Full Version : Bit annoyed at overseas USA shop

MudRiverDan
17-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Just ordered some braid (spectra) from the US.

Bought two spools over the net total amount was $72.00 + shipping.

Anyway the guy emails me and says they don't have the second spool in stock for a month and if I want the first spool sent now it will cost an additional $45.00 to send the second spool separately later..

I replied to the email and said yes send the first spool, and I will pay the difference for the rest of the order when you get the other spool in stock in a months time (so by this time I had only really authorized one spool + shipping with my card).

Yeah very expensive for a 200gram spool but I bit the bullet and said simply send me an invoice for the difference in a month.

Was agreed.

Just checked my bank account and they have hooked me for the lot in one whack?
Money is gone, and they didn't hold back part of the invoice.

What really pisses me is they must have the ability to withdraw more from my account without me actually punching my key-card into the website.

So I just gave em full payment without actually agreeing to it,obviously they read my email as an agreement, but it was an agreement to pay the extra shipping when they had the spool in stock, but the money went out nevertheless, so they basically ignored my request and stung me for the full payment.

By the time they sent a new invoice the transaction had changed and instead of being $72.00 (price of 1 spool shipped) it turned into about $153.00 gone without me even having to use my card.

Bit much for me.

So best advice I can give is email the company and see what product is in stock as both products were advertised as in stock.

Still can't get how they increased the amount and took it from my bank without me doing anything.

>:(

goat boy
17-02-2012, 10:12 PM
let your bank know it was an unauthorised transaction?
I don't know much about net transactions but isn't the whole credit card scam thing based on if someone has your correct card details they can take whatever (up to the daily limit I guess)?
So it sounds like these guys just did in essence what happens to heaps of people that get legit scammed every day...except they did it in the pretext of a business deal, mistake or not.
Take it up with them quick smart, if no exceptable outcome, take it up with your bank? (after all, it's an 'unauthorised transaction' right??)

MudRiverDan
17-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Well I do want the goods, just didn't want them taking the liberty of ignoring my email request and billing me for something after I request the invoice was split.

In fact by the time they sent me another invoice to confirm the transaction, the money had already gone so there was no agreement on my part nor did I use my card to increase the amount.

They ignored my email, took it as an agreement and somehow took the extra money from my account...>:(

So they must have the ability to alter your order and remove extra money without your say so.

They must have simply used my card number to debt me with the whole cost.

They would be legit, this guy has his mug all over the net, youtube and all, it's just the way they went about it, left me short over the weekend for one thing.

Don't really want to contact the bank.
I am sure I will get the goods I payed for, just Ill get the half in a month I payed for today.
I will look into it with the bank but whats done is done.

Most shops send you a link with an updated order so you can resend your official details, these guys obviously don't care for that kind of thing.

Cheers

ShaneC
17-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I always ask shops from the US to send me an email with a PayPal invoice. If they are well set up, its easy and you have to actually click on it to pay it so whatever goes out needs approval.

I know of a really good lot to deal with where I get my braid if you are interested.

Shane

MudRiverDan
17-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I always ask shops from the US to send me an email with a PayPal invoice. If they are well set up, its easy and you have to actually click on it to pay it so whatever goes out needs approval.

I know of a really good lot to deal with where I get my braid if you are interested.

Shane

Thanks Shane

I do see Ebay sellers mostly use PayPal to pay for orders, I use it but don't have money in the account all the time.
Thanks for the info about braid, though I am only spooling 1 reel at present, so I will be good for braid for a while.
I'll post how it goes.

Yes I much prefer all outgoing money gets approval.

cheers

marto78
18-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Mate as long as they have your card number, exp date and ccv they can just enter whatever amount they want into their eftpos machine and with draw it from your account. By law they are not allowed to do that without your permission and you can get your bank to reverse the transaction if you want.
I have to supply my credit card numbers to order spare aprts from a lot of lesser known appliance companies and I always leave a note on the purchase request for them to call me for my details because if you supply it to them via email or fax it can end up in anyones hands.
One company I used to work for used to take down credit card details in their invoice books and process them at the end of the day, but they were not very security consious about what happened to them once they got their payment. I still have a bunch of old books in a box downstairs full of peoples details.
Paypal is the safest way to pay for purchases online and you can set up paypal to debit it from whatever account you want.

Steeler
18-02-2012, 08:12 AM
MRD, you don't need funds in your pitty pal account just attach a debit card to the account as a secondary source of funds and it will still process straight away rather than the usual several days to transfer money into pitty pal account.

MudRiverDan
18-02-2012, 08:24 AM
MRD, you don't need funds in your pitty pal account just attach a debit card to the account as a secondary source of funds and it will still process straight away rather than the usual several days to transfer money into pitty pal account.

Yeah that's right it just debts straight from your bank, I actually do use that.

Thing is I used their online shop and the payment option said "secure payment", I used a ''debt card''.

Who ever heard of $45.00 for shipping a 300 yd spool of braid anyway?

I have had once piece fishing rods sent over in huge cardboard tubes that only cost $50.00 via fedex.

This braid better catch me some good bloody fish :P

Mike Delisser
18-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Yeh that's what I did and it works good for me, payments are made by PayPal at an amrs length from my account and PayPal can only take out the authorised amount.

I've bought from an Aussie site before with Visa and phoned them to add to my order the next day. They told me they once I've made a Visa transaction they can still make changes and just add it to the 1st transaction.
Cheers

Barry Ehsman
19-02-2012, 08:48 AM
$45 delivery,that's a bit bloody steep...I just had 2 spool's of braid & a box of 100 hook's delivered from Tackle Direct in the states for $13...

Baz

Mike Delisser
19-02-2012, 10:21 AM
$45 delivery,that's a bit bloody steep...I just had 2 spool's of braid & a box of 100 hook's delivered from Tackle Direct in the states for $13...

Baz

There are quite a few USA stores that work their international shipping charges as a % of the total cost of your purchases, often around 25 to 30%.

Coodgee
19-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Really? Which ones? The stores I buy from give me the option to choose between USPS, FedEx, Ups, Dhl etc and the charge is worked out based on your location and the size and weight of the package in accordance with your selected courier's rates.

chop
19-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Be wary of having your paypal linked to your bank account. I used paypal about 7 years ago and forgot I had the account until one day last year a chunk of money went missing and it turned out that some person in europe had worked out my password through a gmail account and decided to help themselves. I got the money back and learned a lesson.

timddo
19-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Cost me $22 to get two sinker moulds from the USA . Postage cost.

Jarrah Jack
19-02-2012, 12:03 PM
MRD I think you've been scammed. Who's to say the braid will turn up in a month? If thats the way they do business you couldn't trust them. I would get the unauthorised transaction reversed if possible and never go back there. There are a lot of good US shops. I've found a few on ebay.

MudRiverDan
19-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Be wary of having your paypal linked to your bank account. I used paypal about 7 years ago and forgot I had the account until one day last year a chunk of money went missing and it turned out that some person in europe had worked out my password through a gmail account and decided to help themselves. I got the money back and learned a lesson.
Yeah I am bit suspicious of it since every time I logged in the next day I would receive fraudulent PayPal emails.

But seems Ebay has taken it on so I have to use it for Ebay.

MudRiverDan
19-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Jarrah Jack wrote:
MRD I think you've been scammed. Who's to say the braid will turn up in a month? If thats the way they do business you couldn't trust them. I would get the unauthorised transaction reversed if possible and never go back there. There are a lot of good US shops. I've found a few on ebay.

Yes I read the site and it is a well know site in the USA for spectra braid, they have a notice that says they do transactions manually.

$45.00 is over the top for a spool of braid, but anyway, cut my loses and see what happens.

cheers

ShaneC
19-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Ah, but then again, everybody has the right to run at a profit.

If they skim you with the postage, you can always walk away. Case in point.... the people I deal with for my braid, my last order was for 1800m of 80lb braid. Cost me $32 for postage which took 6 weeks. I just ordered two more spools of the same, and I told them I needed it within a week and the postage time for the last one was unacceptable.

No extra cost, being sent registered priority air mail for no extra cost, and will do it that way from now on.... If you are not happy with o/s retailers, talk to them, they want our business.

pescados
20-02-2012, 11:03 AM

That's how I operate as well.

As far as buying from the USA , had a bad experience my self and shipping is a killer.

fishfeeder
20-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I always check postage before I buy anything from over seas...
Sometimes it pays to search a bit harder and get postage FREE for no less coin out of your pocket !!.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers
Brett

MudRiverDan
21-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Well I have to say it all worked out ok.

Like I said I was disillusioned with the money going from my account but it was explained to me as a a bit of confusion, as the site has different people working in different sections.

I always knew the site was legit and far from shonky as I have seen the name referenced in many US forums.

Well what I actually did was ring them, at about 4am this morning.

I increased my order so the postage was worth it.

All good and very easy phone call, no hassles, it was just like they were down the street.

Seems there is a minimum for certain packages in postage so I just got a few things I needed to make the postage worth while.

Though I still do have an order for 300 yd of braid next month costing me $45 delivery so I might see how many spools I can get for that postage.

cheers

chop
21-02-2012, 04:43 PM
good to hear it turned out well.

MudRiverDan
05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Just an update, after all the crap I now know why they do manual transactions, it because they can then neglect the exchange rate, so in fact I am being overcharged.

Cheers

Blackened
05-03-2012, 03:39 PM
G'day

What's the rate you're being charged?

Dave

dayoo
05-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Dan,

Power Pro spectra braid is selling at a number of well known ebay stores for about $23 a 300yards spool with shipping at $5.00. Next time you are after tackle from the US just PM me and I'll give you the links and info on best shipping method.
Cheers
Barry

Just an update, after all the crap I now know why they do manual transactions, it because they can then neglect the exchange rate, so in fact I am being overcharged.

Cheers

MudRiverDan
05-03-2012, 07:39 PM
G'day

What's the rate you're being charged?

Dave

Dunno, its only a few bucks, I'm currently trying to source a reel.
This time I email the site to get full details of whats in stock and payments.

cheers

MudRiverDan
05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Dan,

Power Pro spectra braid is selling at a number of well known ebay stores for about $23 a 300yards spool with shipping at $5.00. Next time you are after tackle from the US just PM me and I'll give you the links and info on best shipping method.
Cheers
Barry

Got some Braid thanks Dayoo but will keep it in mind.

Havn't done a whole lot of fishing lately as I am sorting out the gear for winter.

Would you beleive I contacted a well know tackle store (with large online outlet) in Australia today asking about a Van Staal VS 300.

This was how the convo went after the guy said they had them on the shelf:

"I don't get much of a chance to see the size of these reels, I'm wondering what the size difference would be between the 250 and the 300, I don't want to go too big, can you send us a photo of the 300 you got so I can get an idea of size?"

"Sorry we are flat out and don't have time for that kind of thing etc etc"

Wow not even time to take a camera phone snap of the reel in yr hand, these guys obviously don't need my business (asking the full $820.00 too and when I asked for a better price he knocked it down to $800.00, which is the standard RRP in AU anyway).

I'm sourcing one in the USA.

Thanks Dayoo, have sent a few emails will let you know how I go.

Cheers