PDA

View Full Version : Tips for wading through thick deep mud?

Todddo
16-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi :)
Finally found a good local fishing spot.
I have to wade through alot of mud to get out there at low tide, I did it this morning and I have to admit I didn't like it.
I was wearing my nike boat shoes which kept slipping off and generally didn't go well. I did however catch a small 40cm flathead on my first cast.

What can I wear on my feet to make life easier as I would like to go back out there, but not if I have to wade through crouch deep mud, it was a little bit terrifying.

Would a large size gumboot help?

Thanks
Todd.

Blythy
16-02-2012, 12:11 PM
gumboots don't help too much in deep mud, too much suction, i use dive boots they have big plastic zippers up the sides so they can't come off. You just need to wash them out after you use them. the pair i have i have been using for 3 or 4 years now and were about $60. it' still not fun walking through mud that is half way up your thighs.

tropicrows
16-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Have your thought of trying something like snow shoes (they look like a tennis racket) to spread the load so you dont sink into the mud.

Coodgee
16-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Like Toddo says, dive booties are the go. they won't suck off your feet and will provide some protection from sharp shells or mangrove roots. Be warned my friend had a piece of glass go right through them though. They are not impervious to sharp objects.

fisher28
16-02-2012, 12:36 PM
have you thought about trying a boat at high tide?;D

Muddy Toes
16-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Put fashion to one side, bite the bullet and buy youreslf some waders.Best thing I ever did.Get all filthed up, shoes don't keep coming off and just hose them off when you get home.
Once you buy some you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

sambino
16-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Put fashion to one side, bite the bullet and buy youreslf some waders.Best thing I ever did.Get all filthed up, shoes don't keep coming off and just hose them off when you get home.
Once you buy some you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

Untill you fall over and they fill up with water and you drown lol :)

Mrs Ronnie H
16-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Have your thought of trying something like snow shoes (they look like a tennis racket) to spread the load so you dont sink into the mud.

Great minds think alike-- was thinking same. Apart from that dive shoes with zippers.

If you're inventive then nail a couple of old shoes to a plank and see how that goes.;D

Cheers
Ronnie

Chimo
16-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll vote for snow shoe shape but possibly with a fabric or rubber infill. Tennis racquet style would just strain mud that you will collect.

Cheers
Chimo

PS

Take pictures please!

Muddy Toes
16-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Untill you fall over and they fill up with water and you drown lol :)

Yeah that too.....don't fall over.

Stonkered
16-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I'd be wearing my waders if it were me

Muddy Toes
16-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I'd be wearing my waders if it were me

It's because your fashion conscious and practical at the same time my friend.

And don't forget to wear socks with them!!

Todddo
16-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Ok so i might invest in a set of waders, I needed them anyway for Bribie.
I really hated the feeling of sinking and dying in the mud lmao.
thanks guys!

netmaker
16-02-2012, 02:46 PM
mate of mine broke down at russell and couldn't walk to shore. he used a raincoat and slithered on his belly lol.

JonnyBravo
16-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Talk to justjack on here. I hear he was born in the mangroves and raised by a family of wild bush pigs. But yeah just get some zip up reef walker type shoes from BCF or anywhere like that and use them, works fine for me.

Fafnir
16-02-2012, 03:05 PM
You wouldn't want to get too badly stuck at low tide. Could be a bit hairy as the tide comes in. Maybe Google Man vs Wild: Escaping Muddy Sink Hole before heading out again.

For getting across the mud how about those rubber mats that are used for camping? The square ones that have holes in them to stop your tent filling up with sand, also handy if it's a bit wet or muddy around your caravan or tent? They don't cost much. A couple of those cut up and tied to the bottom of your shoes would stop you sinking too far I would think.

Gon Fishun
16-02-2012, 03:08 PM
First cast, 40cm sounds ok, but what IS eating at everbodys baited breath, what about the last cast. ;D Or are we not allowed to know.:(

Todddo
16-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Haha there were two casts and two casts only. I really didnt like the mud, And yes I have seen bear grills get stuck in mud. Thats the thing that was going through my head and ill say it again; I honestly hated it lol.
Ill go buy some waders tomorrow so I can go fishing again on Saturday. Ill post pictures to let you all know how I went.

Stonkered
16-02-2012, 03:23 PM
mate of mine broke down at russell and couldn't walk to shore. he used a raincoat and slithered on his belly lol.

hahahahahahahahahaha

I would have loved to have seen that!!!!

Muddy Toes
16-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Yep go the waders mate but.....if you do decide to make some or the contraptions/ shoes that people are suggesting be sure to post some pics mate......I gotta see it!!!

Todddo
16-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah no worries will do :P
I am thinking about buying 2 cheap tennis rackets and making some straps for my feet!

cormorant
16-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Old fat snow skis or water ski ( trimmed) - slide one foot in front of the other not try and lift - and I want to see photos if it works.

I hate mud but that is because of the mozzies and the smell when it is disturbed

tunaticer
16-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Waders are definitely the go, I regularly traverse deep (up to thigh deep) mud going to some of my fav wading spots where the fish feed wildly.
I use Horne Waders with the pimple sole boot. Mate has the same waders with a gumboot style boot and they get stuck in the mud badly, the pimple soles do not. Something about that square edge to the boot giving it a much greater vaccuum effect.

randell
16-02-2012, 04:39 PM
There are plenty of snow skis at our local recycle centre Buderim, pobably get them for $10 a pair.....
I think tennis rackets would sink...
Why not get a sit on top kayak........ or canoe?
Or find some better fishing spots....

randell

marto78
16-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Take a big run up and hit it with speed!
The faster you go the less you will sink
but you will have to try some of the other suggestions on ways to get back :P

Todddo
16-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Awesome tip thanks for that. While we are on the point, Where can I get good waders that wont drown me in mud in brisbane?
I live in Manly so somewhere close would be ideal.
A quick google search and bcf dont stock the Horne waders so advice would be good :)

I tried to go faster and I just got stuck more lol!
Maybe I should bring some flares when I go just in case I get stuck? Sure my fellow ausfish anglers will come to my rescue.....

I am looking at a kayak atm actually, I have about $800 to spend, just dont know what to get.
The ebay ones look ok but are they?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-CAMO-HUNTER-sit-OCEAN-FISHING-SEA-KAYAK-Canoe-NEW-/170782035394?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Wate rcraft&hash=item27c3670dc2#ht_7332wt_1139

The Woo
16-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Honestly, I'd find a different fishing spot :)

Flatties aren't rare enough to warrant slopping through mud :)

Todddo
16-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I live in Wynnum Manly and there don't seem to be many flatties around here at all.
The creek mouths seem to be the only decent option.

TimD
16-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Sounds like your fishing around the mouth of Lota creek :thumbsup:

You could try a "zorb ball" to get across the mud :P

cheers tim :)

Todddo
16-02-2012, 04:55 PM
You actually made me laugh out loud, good work :P
And yeah I'm trying too haha
Another 10 days holiday then I'm back to the slog at work, want to get as much fishing in as possible.

The Woo
16-02-2012, 05:21 PM
These.... one in front of the other... so on, and so forth....

http://www.campingbug.com.au/images/D/791.png

Could be mildly labourious :p

The Woo
16-02-2012, 05:25 PM
How far is the mud walk? This could expedite the trip?

Bit of suds and hey presto! You'll be speeding across the mud whilst soaking up the fun and excitement of Ariel and the Little Mermaid joining you.

http://www.littlemermaidtoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Disney-Ariel-Little-Mermaid-Water-Slide-300x300.jpg

Todddo
16-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Meet and greet at lota creek? I bring the little mermaid slip and slides you bring the suds?

The tides are good tomorrow, early high. Anyone know good spots within 30 minutes from Manly that doesn't require slip and slides? :P

The Woo
16-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Giddyup!

As for a spot, I've no idea, I'm a north side boy.

tunaticer
16-02-2012, 05:50 PM
I score my last three pairs (one for me, two for mates) from a guy in Melb off ebay. Two days and they are on your doorstep. About $120 delivered.

Fafnir
16-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Anyone know good spots within 30 minutes from Manly that doesn't require slip and slides?

Maybe try the fishing platform on Tingalpa Creek at the end of Chadwell Street. Be a bit more comfortable I would imagine.

choppa
16-02-2012, 06:23 PM
forget about what these ppl are telling ya mate,,,, they just want to see you get stuck in the mud and take pics so they can get a good laugh out of it,,,

i had the same drama as you,,,, not with mud tho,,,, with sand

so i called me mate up who works for energex,,,,, he helped me out

choppa,,,,

Todddo
16-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks mate ill give there a shot :)

sambino
16-02-2012, 07:16 PM
BCF has waders for $60 tackle warehouse has them for $140 give or take $20

Todddo
16-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah choppa :( My helicopter is out of action otherwise id be using that to fish lota creek :x
And thanks sambino!

Blackened
16-02-2012, 07:35 PM
G'day

Todddo, i'm also a local.

How about the sandbank between wello point and king island? Rock wall at Manly Harbor? Hilliards Creek?

Dave

TheRealAndy
16-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Only way to traverse mud flats is in bare feet. Suck it up princess. I grew up in the mud flats. If you are worried about cuts and shit, next best thing is croc sandles. If you are worried about an infection from a cut foot then try something else.

Todddo
16-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah thanks Blackened, Ill try the wello point sandbank on the weekend, looks like a good spot for some poppers

netmaker
16-02-2012, 08:54 PM
G'day

Todddo, i'm also a local.

How about the sandbank between wello point and king island? Rock wall at Manly Harbor? Hilliards Creek?

Dave

go with wello. rock walls are hazardous and slower to cover. hilliards at low tide is not a lot different to lota. wello has a lot of ground to cover with a minimum of fuss and plenty of flatty lies to be seen at low water. you can even do virtually the whole walk out to king island with sand underfoot. dont wear waders there tho. few melon holes around. an old bloke filled his up there a few years back and didn't make it back.

TimD
16-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Todddo explore land based spots along Tingalpa Ck, i have a spot X along there that has produced plenty of nice Estuary Cod and even a 50cm Mangrove Jack.

Todddo
16-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the tips!
Least I have a few spots now :)
Cheers guys

Damned67
16-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Todddo explore land based spots along Tingalpa Ck, i have a spot X along there that has produced plenty of nice Estuary Cod and even a 50cm Mangrove Jack.

I think I know that spot. There's a spot that would be easily accessable by foot that I've pulled few ECs from, albeit from the canoe/yak/boat. I'd imagine a lot of lost tackle hitting that spot land based, though.
Todddo, my mate just bought a perception swing kayak off ebay this week for $600. Looking over the auctions, there's been a few Perception Swings sold in that price range recently. They seem to have once been the Gold Standard for fishing yaks. A great yak for the money, if you can wait and find one. I fish my yak in Tingalpa creek all the time (actually, the only place I use the damn thing). Plenty of flatties out of the mouth around the sand bars.

Edit: that yak in your link might be OK for the money, but I'd personally be looking at yaks in the 3.8-4.2m range.
Check out akff.net/forum

thriller
17-02-2012, 01:02 AM
look out for the old Centropogon australis, They will ruin your day

David Ambler
17-02-2012, 04:24 AM
Many years ago I had my yacht anchored in Pacific Creek near Sea Hill at the northern end of Curtis Island. I went for quite a long walk, ate a few dozen oysters on a rocky point and also managed to skewer a massive mud crab with the screwdriver I had taken to open the oysters with. I stuck the big muddie in a bucket I had with me. It was a hot day and I had walked for quite a while and was a bit bushed. I could see the mast of my boat sticking up above the mangroves about a km away so instead of walking back the long way I decided to take a shortcut across a large expanse of salt pan and made a beeline for the boat. Not a very good idea.. I thought the mangrove belt would have been about ten metres or so across. Turned out it was closer to 100 metres and after a bit of struggling through the knee to almost waist deep sludge I was finding life a bit difficult. Too far in to go back so got on my stomach and slithered along like a crocodile while still hanging onto the plastic bucket. The mangrove roots didn't feel too good on my belly and I was expecting to come nose to nose with a croc. Anyway I made it to the boat and still had the muddie in the bucket when I got there. Depite being an unusual method of locomotion it got me there much easier than trying to wade. All good fun!! No more short cuts from then on...