PDA

View Full Version : Port Stephens Marlin

Midnight
16-02-2012, 06:36 AM
G'day,
We fished 3 days out of Port Stephens this week, and released 1 Black Marlin and 4 Striped Marlin from 8 bites, and also a good sized Mahi Mahi.

Sunday was a bit of fun fishing the Carpark, with well over 100 boats in a 2 mile area. It got a bit hard at times chasing a hot fish through the pack with some boats more interested in watching you reverse flat out within 2 feet of their boat, rather than move a bit to give you some room, but it was all good fun. Monday and Tuesday were much less crowded.

Back out again this weekend, with the masses! Luhrs Billfish Shootout is on, with 100 boats entered.

Sorry, no pics, was too busy driving ;D

Cheers,
Myles

kitty_cat
16-02-2012, 07:57 AM
well done myles , not sure about fishing with 100 boats but what ever it takes to get into bill fish ,
any idea how long the fish stay around for at port stephens
wayne

outwide1
16-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Gday Myles,got out Sunday and went 1 from 2 on Blue Marlin.Wayne(kittykat)also went 1 from 2 and hooked up as they passed the bow of my boat as we were hooked up.
Megumi (brownie)is a top bloke and we hung around him for the day until we decided to do our own thing and headed south to
find a good patch of fish and bait.
Cheers for the refferal in approaching Ken,he is a top bloke.
He called the next day to thank us,congratulate us and comment on how he enjoyed our company out there.
Congrats on the results mate!!
Welldone,
Mick.

Midnight
16-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Well done Mick! Did you get one in the area I mentioned? Yep Brownie is a champ.

Congrats on your fish too Wayne, nothing like fishing Cape Moreton for Blues.

The fishing is normally good down here until the end of April I think, but it just depends on the current really.

Hopefully the bait and fish hang in there for a while.

Good luck for your next trip out men.

Cheers,
Myles

NAGG
16-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the report

The word is certainly out ....... we've heard some pretty high numbers being caught over the past couple of weeks - well with a bit of luck I might get to have a fish down there this weekend ........

Chris

Midnight
16-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Definitely Chris, Saturday's fishing was pretty hot with lots of boats getting 6 and one mate going 10 from 12!

There are a lot of fish there, you just need to find a good patch and get into em!

choppa
16-02-2012, 01:09 PM
wasnt Mark Berg down there on the weekend also,,, if not he was in the area,,, a report i heard was a lucky "female" angler was in the right spot at the right time and won a trip out with him to bag not her first marlin,,, she caught 3 all up??

i think he was filming for his new show,,, not fishing addiction

choppa

captain rednut
16-02-2012, 08:24 PM
well done Myles, great to hear your enjoying the boat and catching your favorite species. we are heading down there in the next few weeks to get amongst them.
cheers Jim

Midnight
17-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Good stuff Jim. Are you fishing the Shootout this weekend?

I am in the Anchorage Marina until the 25th. Love to catch you for a beer

TREVELLY
17-02-2012, 05:35 AM
Sounds like the fish are doing what is expected of them and you are enjoying the companionship and a beer :beer: - way to go mate.

Also the fishing is pretty much as you descibed to me once before a carpark on a bait school :)

Thanks for the report.

Catch up with you one day - most likely closer to your home and my folks place - reckon next trip South will have more time to play with.

Midnight
17-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks Trev, we are having fun :)

A link to the pics from the 3 days here, for those on Facebook.

All photos by David Granville Photography.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.333981696644872.78746.333936343316074&type=3

bugman
17-02-2012, 08:28 AM
G'day Myles,
Nice to catch up for a beer at the pub the other night.
I was lucky enough to go down with Birdy and fish from his fisher platey. We joined Dan, brooksy and Connor who had arrived a few days before us in Dans cruisecraft. The boys got 6 from 9 on the Saturday making us pretty excited but it slowed a little once we arrived.
We went 2 from 3 Monday including my first stripey and one to Brooksy. Dans boat dropped three that day from pulled hooks. We landed one big shark the next day and no billies while Dan went 2 from 3. Headed out Wednesday for a half day as brooksy and I had to fly home in the arvo. Went turned back after only 5 miles as it was ordinary. Weather got better during the day and Birdy took out Fadil who had come down and Connor for a arvo session going none from 3.
Yesterday Birdy went 3 from 4 and Dan 3 from 5. Always fires after I leave.
Great place - never been before and the fishing was great and company from All the game fisherman excellent. I'll be back in Scalded next year.
Good luck all those fishing in the comp.
Brett

mattooty
18-02-2012, 07:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOuIE2IXS8&feature=plcp&context=C396cba2UDOEgsToPDskILVHvPp5A8cH8RnKFHA_aw
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOuIE2IXS8&feature=plcp&context=C396cba2UDOEgsToPDskILVHvPp5A8cH8RnKFHA_aw )
This was posted on another forum I frequent, 10 fish in the day.

As for this picture, anyone on here know these boys? 35 fish between the 3 trailer boats?8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

smclaren
18-02-2012, 11:22 AM
That is THE video of the year so far !

What a superb day out out !

MyWay
18-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't know them atall but i heard at service station that the black cruise craft tagged 57 billys in two weeks so far
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

well done boys :2thumbsup:

NAGG
20-02-2012, 09:27 PM
This is why they call it "The carpark" 77191

We had a 5 hook up day ...... but I was the only one that managed to land one 77192

Bloody good fun though

Chris

Midnight
21-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Well done Nagg.

From 6 days of fishing, we caught 8 Marlin from 12 bites. 3 Black Marlin and 5 Striped, I didn't manage to find a Blue Marlin, on the days when we caught a Black and a Striper, to get a Grand Slam.
We also caught a nice Mahi Mahi on a skip bait and a few stonka Leather Jackets on the bait jig!

A few days of boating with my wife and little baby now, and then maybe fishing Friday, and fishing back to Empire Bay on Saturday.

We haven't had any outstanding fish number days, but the ones we have caught have been fun :)

Cheers,
Myles

NAGG
21-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Well done Nagg.

From 6 days of fishing, we caught 8 Marlin from 12 bites. 3 Black Marlin and 5 Striped, I didn't manage to find a Blue Marlin, on the days when we caught a Black and a Striper, to get a Grand Slam.
We also caught a nice Mahi Mahi on a skip bait and a few stonka Leather Jackets on the bait jig!

A few days of boating with my wife and little baby now, and then maybe fishing Friday, and fishing back to Empire Bay on Saturday.

We haven't had any outstanding fish number days, but the ones we have caught have been fun :)

Cheers,
Myles

You'd be happy with 8 ...... for a trip

Only fished 2 days ......... couldn't understand what we were doing wrong in perfect conditions -lost a couple of slimies on the down rigger the first day & that was it.
Day 2 - we didn't even manage to get the 2nd bait out before the first was nailed! ........... later two dropped before the double hook up on good large striped - one was lost on the trace but for all intents & purposes it was landed ( we were trying to get some good photos).
I finished the day spending over an hour on 24kg to a shark of unknown size or species ....... before the trace was bitten through - that sux !!!

Chris

outwide1
21-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Being a Cruisecraft owner(625 EXPLORER AS PICTURED) it does me proud to see so many flags on a
fellow owners boat.Well done to the bloke who owns it.;);D
Cheers Mick