PDA

View Full Version : Long to Short?

merseybluenose
15-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Just picked up a cheap secondhand motor for the tinnie. She is a long leg and hangs about 100mm below the transom of my boat which causes water to come over the back of the transom when at full throttle. Do you think this motor has previously been a short shaft and has been converted to a long? If so how easy would it be to remove this extension section and convert back to short leg??

If this is not a previous short leg could I get out of this problem by putting on a hydrofoil??

nigelr
15-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Nice looking little motor, personally I'd look at raising the transom 100mm.
Will keep the powerhead up off the water a bit more.

Dan5
15-02-2012, 06:14 PM
As Nigeir said do the boat not the engine,far better off with a modified transom rather than the engine IMO..........proberbly alot cheaper aswell.

Dan

BM
16-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Yes it's a short shaft that has been long shafted so you can take it back to short.

Crocodile
16-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Hello merseybluenose,

That motor has the extension piece in the leg, to remove that is the easy part.
I am just guessing but the drive shaft may be one piece, that will need to be shortened.
The gear selector rod and the water delivery pipe will also need shortening.
All of this is expensive and time consuming.
My advice is to take the tinnie to a welder and have a robust extension welded to the top of the transom, this will be easier and cheaper.

I had one of those motors and it was a very nice motor.

merseybluenose
16-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Hello merseybluenose,

That motor has the extension piece in the leg, to remove that is the easy part.
I am just guessing but the drive shaft may be one piece, that will need to be shortened.
The gear selector rod and the water delivery pipe will also need shortening.
All of this is expensive and time consuming.
My advice is to take the tinnie to a welder and have a robust extension welded to the top of the transom, this will be easier and cheaper.

I had one of those motors and it was a very nice motor.

Thanks Crocodile,

that's just the sort of thing I was hoping to hear....cheers fellas.