PDA

View Full Version : Outside the Box - My Rig

Floating Rib
15-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi guys, weather has been pretty crappy so i thought id post about my boat which is a little different to a lot used by the guys on the forum.

Firstly let me say im very jealous of some of the fantastic boats you guys operate, i always hoped when i grew up (hasnt happened yet) that id have a nice 6m haines or Cruisecraft etc in the shed. Having spent my youth around Swiftcraft Vikings, V Seas, Cruisecraft Rangers etc this sort of boat was on my wish list.

Unfortunatley several conditions made such a purchase a little difficult, a low small garage, no yard to store a boat, lack of reasonably priced storage in Bris. Being keen to move to a bigger boat to fish outside after several years chasing estuary fish in my tinnie i felt a bit frustrated as to what my options are.
I hadnt even considered a RIB until browsing ebay oneday and saw one on the sunny coast for sale, tweaked my interest so i started researching Zodiacs, Avons etc. Found several older models not badly priced but being unsure of Tube life and with most running older 2 strokes i wasnt sure about the secondhand option. Had a gander at a few new ones around Brissie and found most made in China or South Africa ( which are fine).
Found a RIB dealer at Coomera and checked out their BRIG range made in the Ukraine, sounds a bit dodgy but these guys have been making Ribs for about 20 years, engineers who found themselves unemployed after the breakup up of the whole soviet block type thing so started building boats.

I was pretty impressed with the finish of these so after a bit of back and forwards bought a 6.2 Brig Falcon from them, powered with a 115 Merc 4 stroke on a Dumpier trailer(yes not happy with trailer).
The BRIG ticked the box for me in a lot of areas that i couldnt get around with a conventional glass hull these being;
The console and tower fold down to allow entry to the garage
The tubes deflate in about 2 minutes allowing the width(2.5m) to fit in the gargage.
Its a nice sea boat that has handled some rough conditions quite well, also a pretty dry ride.
I can remove from garage and setup and inflate tubes with 12v pump in less than 10 mins.
200 litre fuel tank which allowed us to spend a week at Lady musgrave tooling around fishing and snorkelling.
Nice ecomomy eg 160kms whale watching(manly to flat rock twice and back and forward) for 65 litres running about 3800rpm (37kms hr average) top speed 60km/hr. Boat also has a quick fit ski pole.
Overall weight less than 1000kg which is nice for towing. And light enough for me to launch by myself easily.
Rated for 12 people which i would never carry but 6-7 across to the wrecks is no problem.
Fantastic boat to dive/snorkell from.

Things that arent ideal:
As the sides are quite low you arent able to lean against the sides when fishing, thankfully stability is pretty good.
Storage is limited in that no side pockets etc and rod holders arent standard, accessory patches can be glued onto
the tubes and these will hold a vast number of fittings(rod, cup holders, tie down points).
Not a lot of shelter unless the bimini is up. Also fishing room isnt huge as the tubes make up quite a lot of the beam.

Ive had the boat for several months now and have been quite happy with it, performance with the 115 is ok although 130-140 would be nice for the 5% of the time when loaded up pushing back through a bar into a runout tide.
It rides fairly quiet and spray is generally thrown well away, turns very quickly and stays nice and straight when running down the face in a following sea.

Only real problems ive had have been some trailer issues which the guys at Sirocco Marine sorted as the manufacturer wasnt that helpful, jockey wheel is also
rubbish and will need to be changed. The guys at Sirocco have provided excellent
after sales which is nice for a change these days.

So not what i originally had in mind but ive found this boat does many things well and ive been using it far more than the tinnie i had.

Cheers
Floating Rib

Blindfreddy
15-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice looking vessel FR. A friend of mine had his smaller zodiac "beefed up" to stop fishing hooks piercing the sides. I'll ask him how/ where it was done and for how much coin if you like.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us.
Cheers,
B.Freddy

tropicrows
15-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Nice post FR, sounds like it goes well and get good fuel economy. The fishing hooks and bad gaff shots in the ribs would bother me "how strong are they".

Crunchy
15-02-2012, 01:09 PM
An interesting read...cheers

Floating Rib
15-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Tropic, the tube material on mine is Hypalon, supposed to be very durable but not up to an errant gaff shot i imagine(4 more chambers left in that case) i usually use a big net, ive dragged hooks over it etc and no worries, also when glueing some new accessory patches i needed to abrade the surface, this takes quite a bit of effort so im happy it will stand up well.

Tinspo
16-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi FR,

Awesome Rig!! I am also one of the few fisho's that drive a RIB. I am onto my second now and have a Zodiac Pro Open 550 with a 115 yamaha 4 banger. Mine has a customer fit canvas cover that gives some piece of mind but given the tubes are standard below the ribbing strip I doubt the effectiveness against a wayward gaff or trebble. How do the Baffles work on the Brig? in the Zodiac they are like windsocks so if a chamber is deflated you pump the others up again and the socks of the apposing chambers fill the void meaning your as good as new. Well thats the theory anyway:-p

Loving my current rig, does everything I need, only thing missing is shade really. The photo attached is 30klms off Cape Moreton on the weekend, terrible conditions lol.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Tinspo
16-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry forgot the photo77004

Floating Rib
16-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Tinspo, couldnt open your attachment for some reason, nice to see there are a few of us rubber Ducky pilots about, ive seen the covers that go on the tubes, famous last words but im pretty confident with the toughness as is(plus more money for them as well), good point about the tube socks, ive no idea what brig uses but dont think it is like yours, have seen a photo with the Falcon with one side completly deflated with 12 men on the other tube and still sitting nicely so theres a reasonable safety margin if you loose a compartment or 2. Would like to see some pics to check your setup.
Cheers
FR

GBC
16-02-2012, 06:57 PM
We used a couple of rib's as work boats with yanmar diesel outboards on them. They were dragged over reefs, bashed against barnacled lighthouse pylons, you name it. I wouldn't stress about wearing out the sponsons.

macspotty
24-02-2012, 09:49 PM
7729477293Nice to know that there are a few of us out of the box types, mines a 5.2m lianya probably a chinese copy of the brig. Very happy with it, dry ,light, quick,smooth , no bashing across the bay. Good for blokes with bad backs, easy to launch yourself. I too have purchased one for the same reasons floating rib. had mine brand new from august last year, very happy with it & have been out in bad conditions caught out coming back from moreton late in the day in a bad blow, felt really safe & handles a following sea & holes un-believably well.77292

Floating Rib
25-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Spotty and Tinspo, nice to see a couple of photos of your rigs, seems you guys have them all sussed for fishing, still have a wish list for mine including some mods for the bars over the transom and hopefully a live bait tank at some stage. Ive also been playing with some trim tabs on mine and think they probably arent that much benefit unless the boat is really loaded up, looking at a solas 4 blade also for a little more push out of the hole, you guys happy with the performance?

macspotty
25-02-2012, 09:41 PM
77335773347733377332Yeer FR, I put a aluminium Perma-Trim foil to my 60Hp Yammy 4 stroke, to get it out of the hole for trolling. This is the second boat I`ve one on, highly recommend it & it`s stronger nuff to stand on as a step to climb on board after a surf or swim etc. One of the things I would like now is a T Top canopy which attaches to the consol for shade, the beauty of one of these there is no hinderance with rods. In the mean time I use a beach umbreler when on the drift works well.I`ll take a photo of the permatrim installed for you tomorrow & upload it if you like.

z50man
25-02-2012, 09:58 PM
nice boat , i would be more than happy with a fishing boat like that

Blindfreddy
26-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi Tropic, the tube material on mine is Hypalon, supposed to be very durable but not up to an errant gaff shot i imagine(4 more chambers left in that case) i usually use a big net, ive dragged hooks over it etc and no worries, also when glueing some new accessory patches i needed to abrade the surface, this takes quite a bit of effort so im happy it will stand up well.

Hypalon is the material my friends said is on their duck. They've had their boat for the best part of 15 years and no dramas with fish hooks or dragging the boat up over the coral sands on LM Island. They always protect with a cover for the whole boat when in the sun too.

Cheers,
BF

martib
15-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Clear your inbox rib

waterbouy
15-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Sounds great, but no good for me as Im also a spearfisherman!!!!