PDA

View Full Version : PB Tusky

lethal
13-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Fought the boat traffic at Scarby about 3pm sunday and put the Haines in the water and had a slow trip over to Bulwer to grab some livies. There were no birds working on the trip over for those interested. Dropped over a bait and the jig and pulled out a 40cm Slatey almost immediately and Nigel still isnt sure why i wasnt exceited. Shot down to curtain and anchored at the usual spot. Pretty quiet there with little bait showing on the sounder but anchored for the night we put out some livies and baits. Not a thing for the first couple hours then my 15kg rod buckeld in half, grabbed it out of the holder and put on as much drag as i could but the 150m of 50lb braid was running out fast so i locked it up when almost spooled and snap it was gone. Slept for an hour or so and got up but left Nigel asleep. Checked the livies and they were still swimming well so i chucked on a whole pilly and threw it in the water. Hit the bottom and 2 seconds later it was smashed. 12lb line with 15lb fluro leader i wasnt too hopeful but with the screaming drag waking Nigel i was ready for the banter, almost spooled again i managed to turn its head fight it to the boat, a nice cobe looking 1m+, 3 gaf attempts later by Nigel and i hand him the rod so i could gaf it but befor i could i see a splash and watch it swim away. Dirty as hell i look over and Nigel is holding the rod like a broom. Nothing nice to say here. Tide was ripping by now so i went back to sleep.

Woke late 6ish and headed out to Western Rocks stopping at Bulwer for some fresh livies. Still livid at losing the long awaited Cobe i drop a livey and a bait. First drift nothing, second i got a flounder and Nigel got a Moari Cod right on 45cm. Taking a photo of his fish my rod buckles over and i pull a Pb Slatey, couple photos later my rod buckles over again and i pull out a PB Tusky going 66cm. Hmmm thinking the cobe would have completed the trifecta. Couple more drifts for nothing much and we headed back to the ramp at 10am.

Thanks
Lee

TimD
13-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Some nice fish there mate :thumbsup:

You mother in law will enjoy that slatey :P

cheers tim :)

DAZMC1
13-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Do you eat the Slatey? If so how do you cook it because I tried one once and it was shocking, but if there was some way to make it taste better I could spear loads of big ones. By the way, nice Tusky.

lethal
14-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Slateys go to the neighbours, they love fresh fish, lmao.
I have personally never tried them as i dont eat fish but i have heard they are dry so as a chef i would keep the fillets thin and coated in batter or crumbs.
My kids love flounder so i always keep them, fresh fish fingers for 'em.

carnster
14-02-2012, 01:15 PM
All the slateys i have eaten have been well above reputation. Nice tusk mate.

Millsydude
15-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Top tusk mate, would have given you some curry.
Well done.

Millsy

lethal
15-02-2012, 10:20 PM
sure did go hard

netmaker
16-02-2012, 07:10 AM
nice fish lethal. mate of mine reckons slateys are good if you bleed them. bad luck on the cobe. might be appropriate to give your mate a large landing net next birthday?
cheers
davo

kingcray
16-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Thats a Great tusky mate. I caught about 5 or 6 of those slateys with some spangled emperors up rainbow a few years ago, crumbed the fillets and couldnt tell what was what when we ate em so they cant be that bad.

wayno60
23-02-2012, 11:03 PM
might be appropriate to give your mate a large landing net next birthday?

lol....i know it takes up a bit of room but you might wanna start taking your big landing net with you from now on..even for smaller snaps and tuna!!!

so no bust ups on the way over.....looks like we were in the right place at the right time when we went over...

mate give us a yell when you want to go again...next time we'll be ready..